People Management - Managing an under performing subordinate

• Thread starter dQApprenticeWife - 2010
  • Start date
D

dQApprenticeWife - 2010

Hi all,

I wish to get suggestions from you regarding people management. I am an Associate Manager in one of the projects in our company. I supervise 2 groups of people supporting 2 applications. I've been the lead of this 2 teams since I became a team lead.

My problem started when I was promoted AM and one of the people i supervised was promoted to TL. Now, I am already running out of patience with this TL to the point where i now look like a tyrant to my team than a lead. I'm already at the end of my rope and i've run out of idea on how i should handle her.

This person is a team lead and currently supervising 2 people working for production support. TL was recently promoted to her level last year and ever since she was promoted, i can't rely to her to complete all her tasks on time. I always have to follow up her and her team's tasks to ensure her team delivers as agreed with our onshore counterpart. Most of the time they are delayed and most of the time i have to save her ass.

She has already received a 1st warning on her performance and for a time she improved but later she went back to her old ways. She's always late resulting to her always hurrying up to complete her tasks to meet deadline. She also goes on sick leave on the slightest sign of body weakness.

In fairness to her, she is the type of person who has a very good PR. She's always jolly and friendly to everyone she meets. She's also close to the managers. Sometimes i can't help but think that she's an ass kisser.. sorry for the word but i'm really beginning to hate her for making my work difficult.

what i think is she's not suited to production support type of work. a type of work that requires quick turnaround and requires multitasking. she can complete her deliverable on time if the planned activity for the day is done without interuption. but once there are tasks that needs to take higher priority, her world will start to crumble.

She was already given the chance to take a development type of work but she refused saying that she wants to prove to me that she can take on the challenge of the production support. unfortunately, it seems she can't because she's back to old ways.

i am now contemplating on requesting to be transferred to another project but i have second thoughts because the area where i am now has the best opportunity for career progression. i am at the right role at the right time and i don't want her to be the hindrance for achieving something that i know i can.

i hope i am posting this on the right forum. my husband encouraged me to join to forum to have some outlet and get inputs because i'm grumpy most of the time when i arrive from work. :D

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: People Management

Hi all,

I wish to get suggestions from you regarding people management. I am an Associate Manager in one of the projects in our company. I supervise 2 groups of people supporting 2 applications. I've been the lead of this 2 teams since I became a team lead.

My problem started when I was promoted AM and one of the people i supervised was promoted to TL. Now, I am already running out of patience with this TL to the point where i now look like a tyrant to my team than a lead. I'm already at the end of my rope and i've run out of idea on how i should handle her.

This person is a team lead and currently supervising 2 people working for production support. TL was recently promoted to her level last year and ever since she was promoted, i can't rely to her to complete all her tasks on time. I always have to follow up her and her team's tasks to ensure her team delivers as agreed with our onshore counterpart. Most of the time they are delayed and most of the time i have to save her ass.

She has already received a 1st warning on her performance and for a time she improved but later she went back to her old ways. She's always late resulting to her always hurrying up to complete her tasks to meet deadline. She also goes on sick leave on the slightest sign of body weakness.

In fairness to her, she is the type of person who has a very good PR. She's always jolly and friendly to everyone she meets. She's also close to the managers. Sometimes i can't help but think that she's an ass kisser.. sorry for the word but i'm really beginning to hate her for making my work difficult.

what i think is she's not suited to production support type of work. a type of work that requires quick turnaround and requires multitasking. she can complete her deliverable on time if the planned activity for the day is done without interuption. but once there are tasks that needs to take higher priority, her world will start to crumble.

She was already given the chance to take a development type of work but she refused saying that she wants to prove to me that she can take on the challenge of the production support. unfortunately, it seems she can't because she's back to old ways.

i am now contemplating on requesting to be transferred to another project but i have second thoughts because the area where i am now has the best opportunity for career progression. i am at the right role at the right time and i don't want her to be the hindrance for achieving something that i know i can.

i hope i am posting this on the right forum. my husband encouraged me to join to forum to have some outlet and get inputs because i'm grumpy most of the time when i arrive from work. :D
Welcome to the Cove. :D

Can you describe the process involved in giving this person a warning?

D

dQApprenticeWife - 2010

Welcome to the Cove. :D

Can you describe the process involved in giving this person a warning?

Yearly, we set performance objectives and action plans that we need to achieve. Based on these objectives, leads are required to regularly evaluate if the person they're supervising are achieving their objective. If the person consistently not achieving these objectives and the result is impacting the team, then the person will receive a 1st warning.

The person will receive an email detailing what objectives were not met and what the impact is. Then these unmet objectives will need to be worked out by the person on a period of 2 weeks to 1 month in order to pass the 1st warning. there is periodic review within the 2 weeks to 1 month period to ensure the person knows how he/she's doing in terms of the objectives he/she needs to meet.

Randy

Super Moderator

I looked at your profile and I know your company (or aspects of it) well. How well I am not allowed to say.

Instead of offering some "new" insight or revelation on managing I'll just offer up some light, but very good material on the management of people and business that I have read and reference frequently. They can all be purchased on Amazon

Mary Kay on People Management by Mary Kay Ash
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0446329746
ISBN-13: 978-0446329743

Semper Fi: Business Leadership the Marine Corps Way by Dan Carrison and Rod Walsh
Publisher: AMACOM
ISBN-10: 0814472729
ISBN-13: 978-0814472729

The One Minute Manager by Kenneth H. Blanchard and Spencer Johnson
Publisher: William Morrow
ISBN-10: 0688014291
ISBN-13: 978-0688014292

Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills by Ken Blanchard
Publisher: William Morrow
ISBN-10: 0060881674
ISBN-13: 978-0060881672

Leadership and the One Minute Manager by Kenneth H./ Zigarmi, Patricia/ Zigarmi, Drea Blanchard
Publisher: HarperCollins Business
ISBN-10: 0007103417
ISBN-13: 978-0007103416

Winnie-the-Pooh on Management: In which a Very Important Bear and his friends are introduced to a Very Important Subject by Roger E. Allen
Publisher: Dutton Adult
ISBN-10: 0525938982
ISBN-13: 978-0525938989

The Management Methods of Jesus: Ancient Wisdom for Modern Business by Bob Briner
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
ISBN-10: 0785269703
ISBN-13: 978-0785269700

Moses on Management: 50 Leadership Lessons from the Greatest Manager of All Time by David Baron and Lynette Padwa
Publisher: Atria
ISBN-10: 0671032607
ISBN-13: 978-0671032609

Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun by Wess Roberts
Publisher: Business Plus
ISBN-10: 0446391069
ISBN-13: 978-0446391061

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Yearly, we set performance objectives and action plans that we need to achieve. Based on these objectives, leads are required to regularly evaluate if the person they're supervising are achieving their objective. If the person consistently not achieving these objectives and the result is impacting the team, then the person will receive a 1st warning.

The person will receive an email detailing what objectives were not met and what the impact is. Then these unmet objectives will need to be worked out by the person on a period of 2 weeks to 1 month in order to pass the 1st warning. there is periodic review within the 2 weeks to 1 month period to ensure the person knows how he/she's doing in terms of the objectives he/she needs to meet.

You need to deal one-on-one with this person. What's always worked for me: Sit down with her and describe the problem verbally, including its impact on other people. Ask her then to describe the issues in her own words, not just repeating what you said. Discuss any differences of opinion or disputes over facts. Let her know that you're concerned about her losing her job--no threats at this point. Before proceeding, get her to agree verbally to the problems. Once that's done, tell her that you want her to provide you with a written response that:

1. clearly states the issues at hand;
  2. tells how others are impacted by them;
  3. explains the causes of the problem(s);
  4. tells how she will correct the undesirable behavior(s).
Make sure she understands that whether or not she continues in the position is dependent on how well she follows through. At worst, you will have a record of her acknowledging the issues and her need to fix them.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

You need to deal one-on-one with this person. What's always worked for me: Sit down with her and describe the problem verbally, including its impact on other people. Ask her then to describe the issues in her own words, not just repeating what you said. Discuss any differences of opinion or disputes over facts. Let her know that you're concerned about her losing her job--no threats at this point. Before proceeding, get her to agree verbally to the problems. Once that's done, tell her that you want her to provide you with a written response that:

1. clearly states the issues at hand;
  2. tells how others are impacted by them;
  3. explains the causes of the problem(s);
  4. tells how she will correct the undesirable behavior(s).
Make sure she understands that whether or not she continues in the position is dependent on how well she follows through. At worst, you will have a record of her acknowledging the issues and her need to fix them.
Excellent response!
The primary point being you assure the person under review absolutely understands the situation and action required on her part by requesting:

1. her verbal paraphrase of what the issue is, its impact, etc.
  2. her written paraphrase
If you think about it, this is how police procedural movies and TV shows deal with a suspect under interrogation - ask for the verbal account and then hand the person pen or pencil and paper and ask them to WRITE it down.

Obviously, if either the verbal account or written account diverges from the facts, you have the opportunity to go back over those specific points to correct the misunderstanding BEFORE the misunderstanding escalates.

Note:
Jim didn't mention this, but it is important the person conducting the interview also work from a written script or at least an outline in writing to assure all the points ARE covered during the interview and for comparison with the interviewee's verbal and written accounts.

J

JaneB

Good advice, Jim and Randy.

I do agree with Jim:
You need to deal one-on-one with this person.

I do feel for you: dealing with difficult people (particularly those who don't deliver but are well-liked by others) is difficult. But for your learning, career, etc etc, aiming to move away from the problem source should perhaps be a last resort - can you treat it as a learning opportunity for you as well? (Easy for me to say, I know! Harder to cope with it - but cope with such things a good manager must learn to do). I'd be focussing on getting any emotion out of it (as far as one can!!) and on the specific facts of the situation, impact, failures, etc.

You've given a pretty good outline of the problem symptoms, and an analysis. You also say that you've run out of ideas on how to handle her: What specific things/techniques/methods have you already tried? (For example, I don't see why you 'look like a tyrant' to your team?'

D

dQApprenticeWife - 2010

Hi Jane, Jim, Randy and Wes,

Thank you so much for the insight.

On Jim's and Wes' insight, I did talk to her. In fact, regularly, I had serious conversation with her regarding what is expected of her team. The last time i talked to her was after i received the feedback i requested from our onshore counterpart. One of the feedback was they wanted a lead on her team who is independent and who can do the job without constant follow-up.

Previously, I tried to shield her from strong feedback. In fact, I always saved her everytime she commits mistakes or she missed anything so that it doesn't have to be escalated or known to our counterparts. This gave her a very good image to the counterpart. But this only gave me a lot of stress and resentment. So i decided to show her what exactly our counterpart's feedback was. i told her that she's now a team lead, she will initiate the action items and ensure it's implemented. previously, i always have input to action items but action items were not implemented. so this time, i told her i want her to list down their action items and planned implementation dates. but nothing came out of it. up to this date, i have not received anything from her.

the only mistake i made is i did not document our discussion. i should have written an email of what we've discussed and what is expected of her. this is something i should do next week. and i'll follow the suggestions from Jim and Wes.

As for Jane's question, i've done the above actions. as to why i think my team think i'm a tyrant; she's well liked by my team because of her jolly attitude and good sense of humor. i on the other hand is a more serious type of person. i do have a good sense of humor, i talk to my team constantly but when it comes to work they know im serious. when i set a deadline, we have to meet it whatever it takes except if there is acceptable reasons. since she and her team are not meeting the deadline, my other team-mates can see that i kept on following up on her and her team's tasks. once the follow-up started, her jolly personality transforms into a sad and stressed look making other people ask what's wrong with her. and they know im the one she talked last. then she'll keep on dropping lines like she's tired, confused and stressed.

with that i feel like im the devil in my team, causing stress and putting pressure.

what i only wanted was to make sure we meet our targets. if we can't i want to know in advance so that i can help them explain to our counterparts why. our counterparts are very nice people to work with and they are very understanding. we've already gain their trust and i don't want to lose that.

To Randy, i hope you don't know what project i belong to :lol:. Thank you for the book suggestions. i hope they're not expensive :lol:. i think i'll buy the one minute manager and the other related book as that's what is currently available in the bookstore near the office.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JaneB

Interesting, dQApprenticeWife. Thanks for the extra info.

I guess by now you've understood that you played some part in enabling or contributing to the problem:

Previously, I tried to shield her from strong feedback. In fact, I always saved her everytime she commits mistakes or she missed anything so that it doesn't have to be escalated or known to our counterparts. This gave her a very good image to the counterpart. But this only gave me a lot of stress and resentment.

Now, I'm not saying this to blame you or point a finger, but it's a good illustration of why not providng direct and honest feedback (even when it's negative!) can have negative consequences. There may be a time for shielding someone, but I don't think an instance of that is when what they are doing causes a problem or not performing in a way that is wanted/expected.

Giving honest feedback when someone isn't doing what is required, or is making mistakes or behaving in undesirable ways seems to be one of the hardest things that a manager needs to do. But it's also essential. We all like giving (and receiving) positive feedback. We're comfortable with that. It makes us feel good. But what do you do when the situation calls for giving negative feedback?

It's good that you recognised this wasn't helping and have changed (you could even explain to her that this is what you've done to date - but that it made the problem worse/continued the problematic poor performance, rather than improved anything).

as to why i think my team think i'm a tyrant; she's well liked by my team because of her jolly attitude and good sense of humor. i on the other hand is a more serious type of person. i do have a good sense of humor, i talk to my team constantly but when it comes to work they know im serious. when i set a deadline, we have to meet it whatever it takes except if there is acceptable reasons.
Yes - absolutely! Your clients (let alone your management) will and should expect nothing less! Jokes? fine - but performance and delivery are essential.

since she and her team are not meeting the deadline, my other team-mates can see that i kept on following up on her and her team's tasks. once the follow-up started, her jolly personality transforms into a sad and stressed look making other people ask what's wrong with her. and they know im the one she talked last. then she'll keep on dropping lines like she's tired, confused and stressed.
Which may well be why she's unsuited to this kind of role. Someone who can only be jolly if they have things their own way isn't any good on a team. Can your team see that she's not meeting deadlines? Forget 'you talked to her last'... if that makes her unhappy, that's a problem, but it's her problem. And yours as well, because the bottom line is: she's not delivering. And the impact of that, and the consequences of that, are very, very serious. There is a problem and it's around her. But not delivering on a project/in a team makes that problem yours as well.

with that i feel like im the devil in my tea, causing stress and putting pressure.
Please don't. You do have to put pressure on her - she isn't delivering, and unfortunately that's part of your role as manager. If she perceives that as 'stress' - OK. She has a very easy way to avoid that stress - perform!

You may also be not correct here that they think you're the 'baddie'. For a start, do they realise she's not delivering? If not, I'd be finding ways to have that become clear via team meetings. I don't mean publicly humiliating her (she'll accomplish that a;; by herself), but do you have the sort of team meeting (or whatever) where you go through actions and due dates... and other team members also see and hear that she's / her team is behind/not meeting those? Because then it becomes very, very clear who's not performing. Indeed, you might even find they already do know this (even though they enjoy her as a person) and would think less of you if you didn't address the problem. After all, how do you feel on a team when someone isn't performing and the manager just lets it go on? Do you respect that manager? Admire them? Look up to them?

what i only wanted was to make sure we meet our targets. if we can't i want to know in advance so that i can help them explain to our counterparts why.
Absolutely! All very reasonable to me.

I'd certainly look for some info on 'how do I deal with a nonperformer' and 'managing poor performance'? You need to find out why - is it that she could do it, but chooses not to? Or perhaps she really just doesn't know how to do what is needed? Does she need even more coaching to help her come up to what's required? Is she happy with her performance? Why? Does she know she's failing? (This would certainly cause someone stress?) What is her plan (if any) to deal with the problem? Perhaps she would be much better off elsewhere, and you can start to have those kinds of discussions with her. Because it doesn't sound as though she's 'proving' anything to anyone, except that she can't cope with where she is.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dQApprenticeWife - 2010

Jane, thank you so much for taking time to read my post and replying to me. I really really appreciate it. This gives me a more clear insight of what i should do.

I'd certainly look for some info on 'how do I deal with a nonperformer' and 'managing poor performance'? You need to find out why - is it that she could do it, but chooses not to? Or perhaps she really just doesn't know how to do what is needed? Does she need even more coaching to help her come up to what's required?

I had a talk with her previously regarding this. During her first warning, she asked me to help her improve. she was actually once a team member of the team she's supervising now and i was her lead. she knew how difficult it was to manage the demands of that team. so what i did was i told her everything that i did when i was the lead of her team.

i told her that when i was still the team lead of her team, i took note of all the requests that i receive; either via email or via call. then i put deadlines and assign the resource. i told her that i check that note regularly to make sure i don't forgot. that what i'm telling her worked for me, it's up to her to follow it or use her own technique depending on what suits her work style. the important thing is there is a way to track all the requests raised for her team until it's completed.

unfortunately, none of what i told her reflected in actual practice.

Is she happy with her performance? Why? Does she know she's failing? (This would certainly cause someone stress?) What is her plan (if any) to deal with the problem?

When i first gave her a feedback on her performance, she told me she thought she was doing well. so what i did is i constantly give her feedback so now everytime we had a checkpoint she knew there are still a lot of things she and her team need to do. she said she's doing something about it but i can't see any progress. our issues on the previous releases are still the same issues we have right now.

i don't want to micromanage her because she's already a TL. but i'm already tempted to micromanage if there is no progress. but i don't want to do this because i'm the one who's going to suffer even if it's her who's not performing.

Perhaps she would be much better off elsewhere, and you can start to have those kinds of discussions with her. Because it doesn't sound as though she's 'proving' anything to anyone, except that she can't cope with where she is.

this is actually what i wanted ever since, that she be replaced with someone who is really competent. our type of work will never change and could only get worst because there are a lot of functionalities that the business would like to add to our application. this would mean potentially more issues to manage and more defects to fix.

i've already found the person who can replace her and our onshore counterpart really lliked that person's performance when we borrowed her to work with us for a month. i was already ready to replace her (the TL) but she asked to stay to the team because she wants to prove something.

now i wanted to talk to our manager again. i'm currently reporting to a senior manager who is also the overall lead of the project. i wanted to show the feedback from our onshore counterpart and explain to her what is currently happening to her and her team. the problem is i don't know exactly how to deliver the message. i don't want to be the reason for her being transferred to other projects or her career gets affected because of the actions that i want to take.

our onshore counterpart also wanted to keep the feedback and issue contained within the team. however, during our last discussion, they told me they want to focus on the problem not the person. and my counterpart told me it's up to me how i'm going to deliver it to my manager.

now my problem is how will i deliver it to my manager. my manager doesn't want to hear problem but solution but the solution that i can think of is to replace her with a more competent one. is this the correct solution? if it is, how do i say it to my manager? should i show her the feedback from our onshore counterpart? i don't want to be interpreted as a whiner.

my scope of work is going to expand in the coming months once our new contract is signed. i'll be managing more people who will be supporting more applications and different level of support. if i don't address the issue now, i'll be doomed.

Top Bottom