Percentage Thumb Rules for Quality Costs

leaning

Involved In Discussions
Hello!

(I asked this on ASQ's forum a few weeks ago, but little discussion. I have seen percentages somewhere, but can't remember where, so I'm hoping someone out there does.)

One of the test answers I was looking at said this: "prevention costs are too low a proportion of the quality costs shown."

Are there good thumbrules for percentages WRT total cost for prevention, appraisal, internal and external failure costs?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
leaning

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I am not aware of an optimal proportion set, but there are a number of models showing the concept of spending too much to prevent (as some consider with in Phillip "Zero Defect" Crosby) versus too little, which results in costly, spectacular failure (the Ford Pinto, among others).

Those are old models though. These days it is also important to consider internal and external costs of poor quality. Dr. Juran called them waste, and declared as much as 20% of sales was lost to cost of poor quality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L On Time Delivery - what percentage is the norm? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
V Thinning percentage in sheet metal forming per SES (Suzuki Engineering Standard) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Using MPE (Mean Percentage Error) for Linearity and Type-1 study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
A Unit of Expanded Uncertainty in Percentage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Is CADMIUM allowable in IMDS if it so what is the allowable percentage? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
S How to establish a Sampling Plan from the Rework percentage? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
A Can we reduce documents checking percentage on supplier certificates? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Correlation between 2 Variables - Potential X's that might affect yield percentage Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
R AQL Inspection Interpretation - AQL Percentage Inspection Methods AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 11
Ajit Basrur How to show percentage in an Excel graph? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
C Calculating Percentage Contribution Ratio (PCR) in Minitab Using Minitab Software 13
S What percentage of Burr is allowed on Sheet Metal Products after Operations Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
J Targets as percentage of turnover (Sales) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
S Calculating Standard Error for a percentage (binary question) from a sample survey Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
I Percentage of tolerance reported by supplier using the MIN or MAX dimension values Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G External Failure Cost as a Percentage to Sales - Woodworking Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12
Ajit Basrur Percentage of Class I Medical Devices in market - viz Class I, Class II and Class III ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
N QA budget - Allotted as a percentage of sales? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
P Linearity & Bias Acceptable Percentage Guideline - Digimatic micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
antoine.dias Determinability - How the determinability percentage is defined General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Percent recycle versus land fill benchmark - What percentage are you at? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B Nickel Allergies - How low of a percentage of nickel can be in stainless steel? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
M What is an Acceptable On-time Delivery Percentage? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Gage R&R Studies - Goodness of fit, linearity and linearity percentage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Marc Sample Size in Auditing - Percentage audited when performing an internal audit Internal Auditing 8
J How do I calculate the percentage of errors, when I know min, max, mean, cp and CPK Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
L Hypothesis Testing + Thumb Rules Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Identification of Customer Property: Customer-Supplied Thumb Drives & Ext Hard Drives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G Explanation of Rule of Thumb (10:1) - Tolerance Zone or Digits Number Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Any 'Rule of Thumb' for Acceptable Cpk Value - Injection Molding? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
R FMEA review, RPN reduction - Any "rule of thumb" as to what makes an RPN too high? FMEA and Control Plans 12
C Least count thumb rule - Stone walling SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
E Effectiveness of Human Inspection - Reality vs. the 80% 'Rule of Thumb Acid Test' Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
L Standard or a Good Rule of Thumb for Finding Part Weight Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Drugs and Cosmetics Rules - India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
G Do HIPAA Rules Apply to a 3rd Party Logistics Shipper? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K EU MDR Rule 11 - Does the 'Risk logic' used in Rule 11 conflict with that used in the other rules? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Is there a standard / rules pertaining to eating in medical device manufacturing area? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Informational TGA – Advertising health products: Rules about safety claims in advertising Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Volkswagen Complaints Management Rules Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
M Informational US FSA – Surgical staples – Guidance and proposed rules Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational MDCG 2019-2 Guidance on application of UDI rules to device-part of products referred to in Article 1(8), 1(9) and 1(10) of Regulation 745/2017 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News EU – MDCG 2019-1 MDCG guiding principles for issuing entities rules on Basic UDI-DI Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Why have IATF rules required the CBs to audit remote supporting functions at first? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
T Informational Family or Baseline PFMEA Rules FMEA and Control Plans 22
A Where are the rules for when a repeat minor nonconformance becomes a major? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
M Medical Device News FDA Withdrawals Two Proposed Rules Other US Medical Device Regulations 0