Performance of ISO 9001 Certified Companies

R

rmf

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if somebody has some information about the peformance of ISO certified companies against companies that or not certified.

Do certified companies make more profit or do they lose less customers?

I don't believe that for example a company that manufactures lawn mowers sell more if they are ISO certified then an uncertified company that sells lawn mowers

Can someone prove me wrong?

RMF

D

David Mullins

QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE YOU START:
Does my business need what a (quality) management system can provide?
Will certifying that system provide any financial benefit to the business, and if so, does it out-weigh the cost (& inconvenience) of the certification?

If you're making that lawn mower for Defence (I'm and Aussie), you'd better be ISO 9001. If it's for GM, you'd better be QS9000. If it's for Boeing, you'd better be AS9000. If it's for the bank, you could reallly impress them by being FS9000. Then there's TL9000, Baldrige, BSC, Balck belts, purple ties, green tights and pink hats with large floppy shoes.........

What yourn customer wants has a bearing on your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anton Ovsianko

I do not have any original objective data resulting from a serious statistical research. However, on the practival level in Russia I observe a polar dependency: the better performance, the more modern way of management, the more profit, the more chance to get registered.

Yours,

Anton Ovsyanko

M

M Greenaway

Good point Anton.

It is more likely, in my opinion, that good performing companies get ISO9001 registered, rather than ISO9001 registered companies become good performers.

If that makes sense.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The article that Jim mentioned above is a very good article and is available for review through the following link:

http://www.worldpreferred.com/pub/infoCentre/articleDetail.asp?ArticleId=19

Indeed this is the first statistically sound research that gives a clear indication that ISO 9000 Certification is indeed a good investment of resources.

In my personal opinion, the majority of organizations certified to ISO 900X don't see this kind of return, but at least the majority of the evidence for the organizations studied in this article show a potential co-relation.

I would like to see John Seddon's rebuke to this article :eek:

Happy reading

Top Bottom