Performance Qualification per GHTF Guidance

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
Hi, I'm trying to develop a Process Validation SOP for a Medical Device startup based on the GHTF guidance. My last experience with Process Validation goes back quite a while and is probably way out of date. It was with a multi-national who qualified the output of each sub-assembly process individually (what they referred to as PQ/Process Qualification); then additionally qualified the output of the overall manufacturing line (what they called PPQ/Process Performance Qualification). PQ was usually verified against specifications on the sub-assembly drawing. PPQ on the other hand typically verififed against finished device specifications and done on sterilized devices. Both usually involved 3 batches run on different shifts, different operators, different raw material batches, etc.

My question is what is typically done for PQ/Performance Qualification described in the GHTF guidance? I get the bit on Operational Qualification, but am confused about the subsequent elements of PV. From reading up on it, consensus seems to be that even if all processes are 100% verified (i.e. no validation needed for the individual processes), that you would still need to validate the overall manufacturing line. So even though the terminology has changed, I'm wondering if current practice is still what I described above - i.e., if you can't verify the output of an individual process, then validate those processes, and additionally qualify product that has been through the entire manufacturing line, including sterilisation, against finished device specfications (what I've called PPQ above). It looks to me like you need to do both of these in order to satisfy the requirement for Performance Qualification. Can anyone put me straight on this? Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
It seems that everyone does process validation a little bit different. However, if all your processes on your manufacturing line are able to be verified, and verification alone is sufficient in terms of risk and cost, then you would not have to do process validation of that manufacturing line. Of course you would have to document this decision, but you would not have to do PV.

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
OK, so you're saying that if the output of all your processes are verified, then no need to do any OQ/PQ activities. I like the sounds of that, it suits my end goal here, although I've come across a few articles suggesting that (with FDA anyway) you would still need to validate the overall manufacturing process.

Anyway, the more usual situation for our company will be that we won't be able to verify the output from all our processes. So I'm wondering what standard practice is in these situations? Do you validate the output of the individual processes AND ALSO validate that product which has been through the entire process meets finished device specifications (what I used to call PPQ)? I'm really unclear as to what is typically done during Performance Qualification - is it just qualifying the individual processes vs sub-assembly specifications, or does it involve qualifying that product which has seen the full manufacturing process meets finished device spec's? Or maybe both?

indubioush

If your finished device is able to be 100% verified that it meets finished device specifications, you would not be required to validate that process. This does not apply to you though. Usually, it is best to focus on each process. If you have a subassembly that is a result of three different processes, you may need to validate each one, and you may need to validate them in a certain order. You don't want to be in a situation where you are doing one test to validate multiple special processes.

indubioush

although I've come across a few articles suggesting that (with FDA anyway) you would still need to validate the overall manufacturing process.
Can you tell me which articles these are? If I was manufacturing a device that was able to be 100% verified, I would still have a master validation plan that provided justification for each process that did not require validation. I will still perform IQ and possibly OQ for equipment if needed.

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
Can you tell me which articles these are? If I was manufacturing a device that was able to be 100% verified, I would still have a master validation plan that provided justification for each process that did not require validation. I will still perform IQ and possibly OQ for equipment if needed.
As I'm new to the Cove, I can't post links, but if you google "Jeff Boatman a comparison of process validation standards" you should be able to find a PDF. In section on "Validation Of Overall Process" he seems to be saying that the overall manufacturing process always needs validation, irrespecive of the ability to verify individual processes or the final finished product. Would you agree with him on this?

Anyway, in my case validation is needed as we won't be able to 100% verify the output of either the individual sub-assy processes or the overall process (because of tensile and some other requirements). For this sort of situation, he then goes on to say that a combined "PQ/PPQ strategy of performing PQ on individual processes and then an overall PPQ to make actual finished product may well be a waste of time and effort". So I'm struggling with this last bit the most. Maybe a simplified version of my scenario will help get my question across clearer:

We will have a number of bonding processes at the sub-assembly level. The sub-assy specifications will have tensile requirements written on them so that we have something to validate against. The finished device specification will also have analogous tensile requirements, although they may be offset to account for impact of sterilisation and other processes encountered along the way.

So my past experiences would have us OQ'ing and then PQ'ing the individual bonding sub-assy processes. We would also be doing a separate protocol (which I used to call PPQ), which would be qualifying that product which has seen the full manufacturing process incl. sterilisation meets the finished device tensile specs:
- OQ individual sub-assy processes (against sub-assy tensile specfications)
- PQ individual sub-assy processes (against sub-assy tensile specfications)
- PQ full line (against finished device tensile specifications)

But based on this article, I'm wondering if I should be doing something like the following:
- Have no sub-assy tensile specifications, just finished device specifications
- OQ individual sub-assy processes against finished device tensile specfications (may require the OQ units to be fully assembled)
- Skip PQ of the indivivual bonding processes (becasue this article suggests a waste of effort if you have to PQ the full line anyway)
- PQ full line (against finished device tensile specifications) and use this to say that the overall process is validated

Any thoughts on this or a different approach?

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
I also have seen different approaches to process validation throughout my career. I'm still not sure if that is because products and companies differ in ways that inevitably lead to these differences or rather come from different philosophies or different understanding of the topic and the requirements.
From my experience FDA is typically happy if the SOP for process validation is based on the GHTF document. But, based on the preamble to the CFR820, they also expect some kind of qualification and control for all processes and tell manufacturers to not solely rely on 100% inspection. However this does not mean validation; an OQ that determined the correct nominal settings and defined the necessary maintenance of the equipment etc. might suffice.
What I'm struggling with right now is, that the example is a bonding process with specs for tensile strength. This would in my understanding always be a special process needing validation as I cannot think of any reasonable 100% inspection. A proof test might show that a particular device passes the spec without being destroyed, but as you would not notice any trends towards lower strengths in the process, your control over the process would be very weak...

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
Thanks very much TWA. For the example given I'm not trying to suggest getting out of PQ. My question is about how much validating I should do at the individual sub-assy process level versus on the finished device - ie. option A or option B below? Or maybe some other approach?

OPTION A
- Create a sub-assy tensile specfication to validate against
- OQ individual sub-assy processes (against sub-assy tensile specfications)
- PQ individual sub-assy processes (against sub-assy tensile specfications)
- PQ full line (against finished device tensile specifications)

OPTION B
- Have no sub-assy tensile specifications, just finished device tensile specifications
- OQ individual sub-assy processes against finished device tensile specfications (may require the OQ units to be fully assembled)
- Skip PQ of the indivivual bonding processes (becasue this article suggests a waste of effort if you have to PQ the full line anyway)
- PQ full line (against finished device tensile specifications) and use this to say that the overall process is validated

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Anyway, the more usual situation for our company will be that we won't be able to verify the output from all our processes.
"Special Processes" cannot be verified and must be validated:
  • sterilization
  • clean room
  • heat treat
  • plating
  • injection molding
GHTF gives a list on pg 7, or you can look at the things NADCAP certifies.

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
Thanks. I'm not trying to get out of doing a Valildation, I understand the need for it in this case. My question is more about the specfiics of what the PQ portion of that validation should look like - option A or B above or something else altogether?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H How to prepare Performance Qualification (PQ) for autoclave General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
O Clean room performance qualification (pq) - How many times can I do each test? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D What should an ISO 14644 Clean Room PQ (Performance Qualification) look like? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L MSA - Stability - Part of our PQ (performance qualification) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Performance Qualification of old Rapid Mixer Granulator Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Performance Qualification on a Table Top Centrifuge ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Dispenser PQ (Performance Qualification) Failure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
G Sampling Plan for a Performance Qualification of an Inflation System Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Barcode Scanner IOPQ (Installation/Operational/Performance Qualification) Requirement Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
T New Packaging Line Performance Qualification (PQ) - Minimum Test Times ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Performance Qualification Question - Downsizing the end of a tube Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P Process or Performance Qualification Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
A Performance Qualification For Destructive Testing (Impact Testing) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
S Performance Qualification: GHTF PQ vs. FDA PPQ 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
W IQ, OQ, PQ (installation, operational & performance qualification) compared to PPAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H Basic questions about Installation, Operational & Performance Qualification - PCBA Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
C Generate IQ, OQ & PQ (installation/operational/performance qualification) Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C Where to draw the line for "sufficient evidence" to verify safety/performance of a device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K IEC 62304 - Functional and performance requirements for SOUP items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W IEC 60601 - Essential performance c.2.34 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Performance of high shear mixer (or rapid mixing granulator Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Performance specification as a Risk Control Measure, EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
G Defining performance metrics for DFMA implementation Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
F 5520A High Performance Multi-Product Calibrators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
shimonv IEC 60601-1 Essential Performance - Is the signal accuracy specification an essential requirement? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
O Performance Measurement ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M Informational MDCG 2019-9 Summary of safety and clinical performance A guide for manufacturers and notified bodies – August 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Several US FDA draft guidances, including some specific device guidances for the Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Performance Standard for Balloon Trocars Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed changes to medical device essential principles for safety and performance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
rezayatmand IEC 60601-2-18 Medical electrical equipment - Part 2-18: Particular requirements for the basic safety and essential performance of endoscopic equipmen IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
qualprod Ineffective follow up of people performance - Audit Nonconformance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Is there a counterpart to the General Safety and Performance Regulations for the USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
D Summary of safety and clinical performance in GSPR MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational EU draft act – Single-use medical devices – safety and performance requirements for reprocessing Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Essential Performance of a Cone Beam Computed Tomography Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Recommended Content and Format of Non-Clinical Bench Performance Testing Information in Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – Technical Performance Assessment of Quantitative Imaging in Device Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA – Radiological Health Regulations; Amendments to Records and Reports for Radiation Emitting Electronic Products; Amendments to Performance Stand Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Characterization Testing - NO acceptance criteria, no minimum performance requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D IEC 60601-1 - Essential performance doesn't make sense IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 10
M Product Performance Claims Other Medical Device Related Standards 4