Performing a MSA on a new gauge using different parts

J

Justin Bondy

Hey guys, first time posting.

I've recently started my first job in quality and the cove has been a great resource for me while I get up to speed.

I am in charge of performing the first MSA our company has ever done and I feel like I've gotten a good handle on it, but I've run into a snag.

My main question is: When performing a MSA on a new gauge, does it have to be tested on the parts that it will be measuring during production? Or can it be tested on a similar part?

The trouble is that the part these gauges will be measuring is still in the development stage and it is hard/impossible to get access to multiple at a time. It would be much easier to test the gauges against a similar part instead, if that is an option.

I'm guessing the answer is "they must be tested on the parts they will be measuring" since isn't the point to compare the variation in the parts to the variation produced by the measurement device?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reluctance

Involved In Discussions
That all depends on how similar the "similar" parts are. If you are fairly certain that the difference between the production parts and the development parts is negligible then there should be no problem using the similar parts.

This also depends on the purpose of the gage. Will this be used for product control or process control? If you want to use your gage for product control then the similar parts may be just the ticket to speed up your MSA. But if you are planning on using this gage to control the process parameters that you use to make the part then you will need parts covering the entire range of your expected production variation.

Disclaimer: Please don't take my apparent depth of MSA understanding to be my own personal knowledge. I just happened to have a copy of the AIAG Measurement Systems Analysis Reference Manual 4th Edition sitting in front of me when I read your question. If you don't have a copy I suggest you check one out, or several other resources on MSA.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Disclaimer: Please don't take my apparent depth of MSA understanding to be my own personal knowledge. I just happened to have a copy of the AIAG Measurement Systems Analysis Reference Manual 4th Edition sitting in front of me when I read your question. If you don't have a copy I suggest you check one out, or several other resources on MSA.

You did a fine job of explaining it. Better than many.

Justin,

If you need further insight, I have a blog on MSA here at the Cove on MSA. It covers many questions similar to the one you just asked.

Top Bottom