SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Performing an Internal Audit on the Cost Estimating Process

G

goodnede

Can someone give me some advice or direction on performing an internal audit on the cost estimating process? I understand the bid and proposal process and have audited it several times but I am not sure how to approach an audit on the actual "bid amount" and is it accurate.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Re: Cost Estimating Internal Audit

Can someone give me some advice or direction on performing an internal audit on the cost estimating process? I understand the bid and proposal process and have audited it several times but I am not sure how to approach an audit on the actual "bid amount" and is it accurate.
These should be determined by the process owner and the customer(s) of the process, not the auditor. Clause 8.2.3 of AS9100 requires that processes be monitored and/or measured, and they must demonstrate that process is achieving the planned results. You should be looking at the metrics they've established showing whether the process is effective or not. If it's not achieving the results they planned, then you should look at what they are doing about it.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Has this process has it been analyzed with the process and documented to the extent necessary for effective planning, operation and control?

Risk assessment may be key to successful estimating in your organization...

Estimating must result in the contracts you want.

Please do not audit this process until it has been analyzed and documented with or by the process owner...

When you have that please inform us of the objective of your audit...

Many thanks,

John

G

goodnede

Docmented procedures on cost estimating from all of the functional areas were approved this year. A request was made to audit them and verify that they were being followed and accurate bids were being submitted. I have verified they follow the procedure they submitted and was approved but I couldn't say yes or no that the bids were accurate. The responses so far have cleared my vision a little and now I realize what I need to report......Thanks for your help.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Docmented procedures on cost estimating from all of the functional areas were approved this year. A request was made to audit them and verify that they were being followed and accurate bids were being submitted. I have verified they follow the procedure they submitted and was approved but I couldn't say yes or no that the bids were accurate. The responses so far have cleared my vision a little and now I realize what I need to report......Thanks for your help.
Sounds as if you are now ready to audit the estimating process (across the functional areas) for its effectiveness (see clause 4.1c). Ask the auditees how they know their bids are accurate if necessary to verify the effectiveness of your estimating process. As auditor you should not do this for them.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Seems to me that this could get extremely convoluted in a second. Cost estimating is a sub-process of bidding, which is a sub-process of sales.

If we treat every sub-process as a macro process with performance indicator expectations, we can create a bureaucratic nightmare, with no end. An organization can have a very effective cost estimating activity and lose all bids. To me, it makes sense that the cost estimating is assessed as component of the sales process. If our sales goals are not being reached, it can be attributed to many factors, accuracy of cost estimation being one of them.

Be very careful if you expect to see KPI's (or any means of process effectiveness) for every micro or sub-process. You might doing your organization a disservice.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Seems to me that this could get extremely convoluted in a second. Cost estimating is a sub-process of bidding, which is a sub-process of sales.

If we treat every sub-process as a macro process with performance indicator expectations, we can create a bureaucratic nightmare, with no end. An organization can have a very effective cost estimating activity and lose all bids. To me, it makes sense that the cost estimating is assessed as component of the sales process. If our sales goals are not being reached, it can be attributed to many factors, accuracy of cost estimation being one of them.

Be very careful if you expect to see KPI's (or any means of process effectiveness) for every micro or sub-process. You might doing your organization a disservice.
Excellent point, it sounds almost as if the shortage of sales is being blamed on inaccurate estimating and instead of solving the problem management is asking for an audit...

C

Cornwap

Hi

A different industry from yours, but when auditing the the estimating process in civil engineering companies the biggest issue I have found is the overall control of the data used to formulate the cost rather than the process itself.

Even with a centralised system quantity surveyors start creating their own spreadsheets "because they are easier to use" and nobody notices until it's too late. It might be different in aerospace but imho still worth a look.

Best regards
Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Thoughts on performing an ISO 9001:2015 Remote Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Performing Internal Audit of our Accounts System Internal Auditing 4
C New to performing internal audits - Looking for audit questions Internal Auditing 5
Marc Sample Size in Auditing - Percentage audited when performing an internal audit Internal Auditing 8
J Performing Internal Calibrations - Dial gauges, micrometers, height gauges, calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D External Parties performing Internal Audits? TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Performing Internal Audits as per Canada MDR GD 210 Internal Auditing 7
C Are there any special requirements for performing internal audits to AS9100B Internal Auditing 0
G Performing Internal Audits by Phone? Multiple International Sites Internal Auditing 6
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Sequence of performing risk assessment: User_FMEA (User Errors) vs Design Inputs FMEA and Control Plans 1
Y Performing product audits in a manufacturing facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
A ISO 9001:2015 - How to apply 7.1.5 to an organization performing only design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Performing PQ on a Small (tabletop) Air Heat Treating Oven ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Performing a TUS on a Furnace used at One Temperature - AMS2750-E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
drgnrider EMR performing audits of EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
C Performing an ISO 9001 based Supplier Audit - Multiple Supplier Facilities Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Performing a Gage R and R with No Specification Range Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Going Rate for Performing a Supplier Audit? Consultants and Consulting 1
B Performing MSA on Straightness of a Cylinder Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C Performing a MSA as it relates to Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Performing a MSA on a new gauge using different parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Production Operators Performing GP12 (General Motors Containment) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
L How is the interaction physically happening while performing ANOVA GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Exam for Personnel performing Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B Performing a Gage R&R Study with Minitab 13 Using Minitab Software 5
M Requirements for Laboratories performing ASTM Tests Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J 5.15 or 6 Sigma? What multiplier to use when performing a Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A SOP for performing Annual Product Reviews for Medical Device and Pharma Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D Severity or Occurrence? Performing an FMEA on Motorcycle Operation FMEA and Control Plans 9
K Performing PPAP Retroactively APQP and PPAP 8
H Proprietary Processes - How to Protect and still comply when performing an FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
JoCam Budding Consultant: What to charge for performing a desktop study. Career and Occupation Discussions 10
Miner Upcoming article - Within-part variation when performing an R&R Imported Legacy Blogs 6
E Minimum data for performing an Anderson Darling Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Difficulties in performing MSA on Rockwell Hardness Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
6 Badly Performing Packaging Machines Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D People Management - Managing an under performing subordinate Career and Occupation Discussions 15
A Competence for performing compliance audits - 4.5.2 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
P For business performing PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ONLY, what is best QMS for certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A Justification for not performing overseas supplier audit General Auditing Discussions 6
A Performing Ring Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Hypothesis Test - Determining if a second wash is worth performing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Performing Investigation of used returned expired devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Guidance in Performing a 13485 Gap Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8