Performing an ISO 9001 based Supplier Audit - Multiple Supplier Facilities

C

crager34

I need to perform an ISO based supplier audit. The product we order is manufactured at one facility then shipped to another. All of my orders are processed and shipped from the second facility.

Question: Is there a requirement to audit both facilities and/or should I?

This will be a compliance audit to ISO requirements.

Thank you in advance.

Darrin

R

Reg Morrison

Re: Audit requirements

Question: Is there a requirement to audit both facilities and/or should I?
Being a second party audit, you, the customer makes the rules. It is up to you.

I would base my decision on supplier and product performance, what processes happen where and what is the (potential) impact of the processes at the site on product conformity. For example, if the second site is just warehousing and shipping and I never had a problem with the product being damaged during transportation to my site or the wrong part being shipped, I would not spend time auditing that site.

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Audit requirements

Being a second party audit, you, the customer makes the rules. It is up to you.

I would base my decision on supplier and product performance, what processes happen where and what is the (potential) impact of the processes at the site on product conformity. For example, if the second site is just warehousing and shipping and I never had a problem with the product being damaged during transportation to my site or the wrong part being shipped, I would not spend time auditing that site.

Also, if the supplier is not ISO 9001-registered, it isn't fair to audit them against this standard. Instead, I would use contractual or quality agreement(s), their SOPs/WIs as they relate to the product(s) your company purchases from them, specifications, etc.

Just a thought, in case you haven't already considered it....:bigwave:

P

pldey42

If the purpose of the audit is to assure compliance with ISO 9001 it cannot be done without visiting both facilities. The audit plan would identify the clauses of ISO 9001 relevant to each facility, and the amount of time required.

As has been said, data on supplier performance would help in planning the audit.

Hope this helps
Pat

Top Bottom