SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Performing Internal Audit of our Accounts System

D

daraghofla

Hi all, I need to perform an internal audit on our accounts process. I haven't a clue where to start. We have zero documentation relating to the process and my only other dealings with the dept. is the odd mention of opportunity cost results.
In short, I don't bother him, he doesn't bother me. I have to audit him in some way though as our accreditor isn't going to accept another excuse.

Any ideas??

Daragh

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions
This is good.:topic:
Finance is usually excluded from ISO 9001, etc. for no really good reason and leads to a lot of organizations having sloppy, undocumented processes for dealing with it. Having dealt with it myself, I'd strongly recommend everyone apply the same rules of documented processes to the accounting department and bring them in line with the rest of the organization.

[Getting off soapbox...]
Back to the question, firstly identify the work flow undertaken and document the processes if possible. Then audit each one for consistency and correctness to the requirements (in this case, the needs of the company to maintain coherent records and satisfied customers).

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

It's important to get accounts right, in my view, though many people might not think it's a critical process.

My questions would go something like this:

• Can you show me what do do please?
  • How do you know what to do - is there a procedure or manual for this? (show me)
  • Is there special paperwork to use - what is it?
  • Is there special software to use - what is it?
  • Where do you keep your data, your records - how is it stored, identified if you need to look it up, protected against damage or theft?
  • Does your paperwork get changed? How can you tell when you're using the latest version of forms or tools?
  • What kind of training and education did you need to do this work? Can I see, please?
  • Who does this when you're not here - what if you won the Powerball and decided to say "Take this job and shove it"? Who is ready to do the work as you are doing it?
  • How can you tell your work is going well or not - what does success look like?
  • What's new here - have there been any improvements in the last several months? How did it go - is it better? How/why?
Stuff like that.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Hi all, I need to perform an internal audit on our accounts process. I haven't a clue where to start. We have zero documentation relating to the process and my only other dealings with the dept. is the odd mention of opportunity cost results.
In short, I don't bother him, he doesn't bother me. I have to audit him in some way though as our accreditor isn't going to accept another excuse.

Any ideas??

Daragh
The fundamental question is: what would drive you to audit your accounting processes? Remember, you should not audit people. You audit processes that comprise a system.

If you are being "forced" to audit accounting as part of your internal audit process for ISO 9001 conformance, then the question is: were the accounting processes identified as part of the QMS? Most organizations don't include accounting as being part of the QMS.

In my opinion, most of the accounting processes are not directly related to the process covered under ISO 9001, but there is one process in particular which has a TREMENDOUS correlation with customer satisfaction, and, thus, should be deemed part of the QMS. I am referring to the BILLING process. Customers might be delighted with the product and/or service delivered. But if they think they are being over charged, dissatisfaction creeps in. Since I do believe that focused audits are much more added value, my suggestion to you is to start this by investigating if you have cases of dissatisfied customers due to billing mistakes. Use these as a triggering point and trail up why wrong invoices were sent to the customers in the first place. It might be that some of them happened due to mistakes in the accounting function, but you might find out that other problems might have been triggered by miscommunication up the line. If you focus on this aspect of the connection QMS/accounting processes, I think you can come up with worthy findings (findings in the proper meaning, of ISO 19011) that your organization might benefit from.

Good luck.

D

daraghofla

Hi all, and thanks for your help.
Your comments are all very helpful but I haven't won an argument with our accreditor yet, and we've already argued about the ommision of accounting. In other words, and all arguments about scope aside, I've gotta face up to the accountant.
The billing suggestion is good, but unfortunately not really an issue. We bill a parent company, but ultimately we work off stock shares. If the franchise succeeds, so do we. The sales subsidiaries are the ones who could benefit from such an audit.
The initial suggestion regarding creation of documentation and process flows (a standard external audit) is also very sound, but it sounds like an IA that'll have me working for a month, tinkering in an area where I'm not needed. I'd rather spend my time in areas where the need is greater.(He gets audited externally 3 weeks out every year so there isn't much need in me trying to pick holes)

So, the winner is the responsibility and authority. The parent company provides the back-up. I'll audit that aspect.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
Daragh

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Thoughts on performing an ISO 9001:2015 Remote Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Performing an Internal Audit on the Cost Estimating Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C New to performing internal audits - Looking for audit questions Internal Auditing 5
Marc Sample Size in Auditing - Percentage audited when performing an internal audit Internal Auditing 8
J Performing Internal Calibrations - Dial gauges, micrometers, height gauges, calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D External Parties performing Internal Audits? TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Performing Internal Audits as per Canada MDR GD 210 Internal Auditing 7
C Are there any special requirements for performing internal audits to AS9100B Internal Auditing 0
G Performing Internal Audits by Phone? Multiple International Sites Internal Auditing 6
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Sequence of performing risk assessment: User_FMEA (User Errors) vs Design Inputs FMEA and Control Plans 1
Y Performing product audits in a manufacturing facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
A ISO 9001:2015 - How to apply 7.1.5 to an organization performing only design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Performing PQ on a Small (tabletop) Air Heat Treating Oven ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Performing a TUS on a Furnace used at One Temperature - AMS2750-E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
drgnrider EMR performing audits of EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
C Performing an ISO 9001 based Supplier Audit - Multiple Supplier Facilities Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Performing a Gage R and R with No Specification Range Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Going Rate for Performing a Supplier Audit? Consultants and Consulting 1
B Performing MSA on Straightness of a Cylinder Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C Performing a MSA as it relates to Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Performing a MSA on a new gauge using different parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Production Operators Performing GP12 (General Motors Containment) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
L How is the interaction physically happening while performing ANOVA GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Exam for Personnel performing Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B Performing a Gage R&R Study with Minitab 13 Using Minitab Software 5
M Requirements for Laboratories performing ASTM Tests Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J 5.15 or 6 Sigma? What multiplier to use when performing a Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A SOP for performing Annual Product Reviews for Medical Device and Pharma Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D Severity or Occurrence? Performing an FMEA on Motorcycle Operation FMEA and Control Plans 9
K Performing PPAP Retroactively APQP and PPAP 8
H Proprietary Processes - How to Protect and still comply when performing an FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
JoCam Budding Consultant: What to charge for performing a desktop study. Career and Occupation Discussions 10
Miner Upcoming article - Within-part variation when performing an R&R Imported Legacy Blogs 6
E Minimum data for performing an Anderson Darling Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Difficulties in performing MSA on Rockwell Hardness Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
6 Badly Performing Packaging Machines Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D People Management - Managing an under performing subordinate Career and Occupation Discussions 15
A Competence for performing compliance audits - 4.5.2 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
P For business performing PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ONLY, what is best QMS for certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A Justification for not performing overseas supplier audit General Auditing Discussions 6
A Performing Ring Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Hypothesis Test - Determining if a second wash is worth performing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Performing Investigation of used returned expired devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Guidance in Performing a 13485 Gap Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8