SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Performing PPAP Retroactively

K

kartbrown

We are working on an assembly for the interior of a comercial truck. We require our customers to provide a PPAP. We are in need of a Tinnerman clip for the assembly, but we will only need 2K pieces. To order them through Tinnerman, we need to order something like 150K pieces. I have found the parts at one of their distributors, but I am having trouble getting them to PPAP the parts. They say the parts were manufactured in 2008 and they are not able to get a PPAP retroactively. They supplied samples of the clips and on the invoice, they have the lot number of the parts. I am thinking that if they have the lot number, they maybe able to get the necessary information to do a PPAP, but I am new to this and not really familiar with the PPAP process. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
We are working on an assembly for the interior of a comercial truck. We require our customers to provide a PPAP. We are in need of a Tinnerman clip for the assembly, but we will only need 2K pieces. To order them through Tinnerman, we need to order something like 150K pieces. I have found the parts at one of their distributors, but I am having trouble getting them to PPAP the parts. They say the parts were manufactured in 2008 and they are not able to get a PPAP retroactively. They supplied samples of the clips and on the invoice, they have the lot number of the parts. I am thinking that if they have the lot number, they maybe able to get the necessary information to do a PPAP, but I am new to this and not really familiar with the PPAP process. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Welcome to the Cove. :D

Assuming that you have a customer specification for a specific Tinnerman part number ("Tinnerman," like "Pem," is sometimes used generically) and not an individual dimensioned drawing of a cage nut, you probably don't need a PPAP submission from the manufacturer. It depends on what your customer expects, but as far as catalog parts and distributors are concerned, a warrant from the distributor might be all that's required. Ask your customer.

K

kartbrown

Thanks for welcoming me and for your input.

Here is a little more background.

The part is specifically called out on their assembly drawing by the Tinnerman part number. They also provided us a drawing of the actual clip. This particular customer is extremely specific and picky. We can not use an equivalent product from another supplier without convincing their engineers to change their drawings (not an easy task).

We are required by the customer to provide a level 3 PPAP for all of the components that are used in the assemblies.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

The part is specifically called out on their assembly drawing by the Tinnerman part number. They also provided us a drawing of the actual clip. This particular customer is extremely specific and picky. We can not use an equivalent product from another supplier without convincing their engineers to change their drawings (not an easy task).

We are required by the customer to provide a level 3 PPAP for all of the components that are used in the assemblies.
Jim Wynne already stated: "Ask your customer." PPAPs, their specific content, submissions and details need to be discussed and agreed upon prior to engaging in a contract. Don't hesitate to discuss your current predicament with the "authorized customer representative." Automotive suppliers are often hesitant to do this, but if you don't, it will come to bite you in the behind. :mg:

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Asking for a Level 3 PPAP for a catalog part makes no sense. The only sensible thing to do at this point is to explain the situation to the customer and ask for guidance or forbearance.

K

kartbrown

Ok. Thanks for everyone's help. I will get with the customer to see what we can do, however, can the following question be answered?

Can a part that was made in 2008 be PPAPed if we have the lot number and Tinnerman can provide the necessary documentation?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Ok. Thanks for everyone's help. I will get with the customer to see what we can do, however, can the following question be answered?

Can a part that was made in 2008 be PPAPed if we have the lot number and Tinnerman can provide the necessary documentation?
Your customer might have a requirement with regard to the age of PPAP data. With some, data more than 12 months old isn't considered acceptable. This would apply primarily to material and performance test reports and dimensional reports.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
kartbrown,

While the customer is in its right to set the PPAP expectations, often the customer's requester does not always have a good understanding of PPAP either. I am sure you know about "the blind leading the blind" story. PPAP level 3 is a default requirement that does not always makes sense depending on the automotive supplier's operations. Yep; as Jim and I stated, time to contact the customer and see if you can come to an amicable solution. But before you do...make sure that you know and understand the PPAP "rule book" as it applies to your operation. Good luck!

Stijloor.

Last edited:
K

kartbrown

:thanx:

Thanks. I was not sure if there was a time frame. It looks like the old information might be useless. I was afraid of that. Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate Jim and Stijloor sharing their knowledge and experience with me. I am not familiar with the whole ISO and PPAP requirements. I started my current position in late December and did not have do deal with it previously.

Looks like I will be going back to my customer to see what we can work out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Sequence of performing risk assessment: User_FMEA (User Errors) vs Design Inputs FMEA and Control Plans 1
Y Performing product audits in a manufacturing facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
A ISO 9001:2015 - How to apply 7.1.5 to an organization performing only design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Performing PQ on a Small (tabletop) Air Heat Treating Oven ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Thoughts on performing an ISO 9001:2015 Remote Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H Performing a TUS on a Furnace used at One Temperature - AMS2750-E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
drgnrider EMR performing audits of EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
C Performing an ISO 9001 based Supplier Audit - Multiple Supplier Facilities Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Performing a Gage R and R with No Specification Range Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Going Rate for Performing a Supplier Audit? Consultants and Consulting 1
B Performing MSA on Straightness of a Cylinder Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C Performing a MSA as it relates to Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Performing a MSA on a new gauge using different parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Production Operators Performing GP12 (General Motors Containment) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
L How is the interaction physically happening while performing ANOVA GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Exam for Personnel performing Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B Performing a Gage R&R Study with Minitab 13 Using Minitab Software 5
M Requirements for Laboratories performing ASTM Tests Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J 5.15 or 6 Sigma? What multiplier to use when performing a Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A SOP for performing Annual Product Reviews for Medical Device and Pharma Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D Severity or Occurrence? Performing an FMEA on Motorcycle Operation FMEA and Control Plans 9
H Proprietary Processes - How to Protect and still comply when performing an FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Performing Internal Calibrations - Dial gauges, micrometers, height gauges, calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D External Parties performing Internal Audits? TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
JoCam Budding Consultant: What to charge for performing a desktop study. Career and Occupation Discussions 10
Miner Upcoming article - Within-part variation when performing an R&R Imported Legacy Blogs 6
D Performing Internal Audit of our Accounts System Internal Auditing 4
S Performing Internal Audits as per Canada MDR GD 210 Internal Auditing 7
E Minimum data for performing an Anderson Darling Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Difficulties in performing MSA on Rockwell Hardness Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
G Performing an Internal Audit on the Cost Estimating Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
6 Badly Performing Packaging Machines Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D People Management - Managing an under performing subordinate Career and Occupation Discussions 15
A Competence for performing compliance audits - 4.5.2 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
C New to performing internal audits - Looking for audit questions Internal Auditing 5
P For business performing PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ONLY, what is best QMS for certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A Justification for not performing overseas supplier audit General Auditing Discussions 6
A Performing Ring Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Hypothesis Test - Determining if a second wash is worth performing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Performing Investigation of used returned expired devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Guidance in Performing a 13485 Gap Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Douglas E. Purdy Personnel performing specific assigned tasks shall be qualified - Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
F Clinical Audits to ISO 14155 - Performing audits of clinical affairs groups ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Non-conformity - Not performing Supplier Development on one specific supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25