Perishable Tooling Supplier - Nonconformances and Metrics

New to AS9100, recently had our registration audit and one of the NCR's written was the fact that we did not have our tooling suppliers on our approved supplier listing and that we did not have metrics for those suppliers. I understand placing them on the list, however how does one go about providing metics on a catalog company/distributor like MSC or Grainger? We purchase multiple "off the shelf" tools for our processing (CNC), we have a tool vending machine that prompts purchasing when to order and the ordering is done electronically through the system. We basically never run out of this type of tooling, so tracking delivery is not value added and would really serve no purpose even if an order came late - what would I do, send a CAR to MSC? It's not like I would get anything back from them. Plus it's in their best interest to keep the system running smoothly as we are required to purchase a minimum $ amount from them - so they are guaranteed our business. Do you think it would fly to be able to exempt those vendors from review and metrics? If not, what exactly could I track that would be valuable? Or am I just missing something??

I do have a few tooling vendors that we order specialized tooling from, these I can understand tracking delivery and quality - because if the tool is wrong, so is my part I'm processing with it. Plus if it's late, we can't just get it from somewhere else. We require certification with each of these tools, and a tool change verification is completed for every tool. (a layout to the process print for that particular tool) I would use this information for metrics to make sure we are getting what we ordered and tool performs correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
New to AS9100, recently had our registration audit and one of the NCR's written was the fact that we did not have our tooling suppliers on our approved supplier listing and that we did not have metrics for those suppliers. I understand placing them on the list, however how does one go about providing metics on a catalog company/distributor like MSC or Grainger? We purchase multiple "off the shelf" tools for our processing (CNC), we have a tool vending machine that prompts purchasing when to order and the ordering is done electronically through the system. We basically never run out of this type of tooling, so tracking delivery is not value added and would really serve no purpose even if an order came late - what would I do, send a CAR to MSC? It's not like I would get anything back from them. Plus it's in their best interest to keep the system running smoothly as we are required to purchase a minimum $ amount from them - so they are guaranteed our business. Do you think it would fly to be able to exempt those vendors from review and metrics? If not, what exactly could I track that would be valuable? Or am I just missing something??

I do have a few tooling vendors that we order specialized tooling from, these I can understand tracking delivery and quality - because if the tool is wrong, so is my part I'm processing with it. Plus if it's late, we can't just get it from somewhere else. We require certification with each of these tools, and a tool change verification is completed for every tool. (a layout to the process print for that particular tool) I would use this information for metrics to make sure we are getting what we ordered and tool performs correctly.

Thanks in advance!
If you could provide the exact NCR that you received from the auditor then we could give you a better answerer. Short of that - you should appeal the NCR because there is no requirements for metrics on each of the suppliers.

1- my raw material suppliers are on the list - just not tooling and fluid suppliers.
2 - I do keep metrics on raw material and outside processing electronically via my quality system software. It's an evaluation that gives scoring based on # of CAR's issued, timeliness of response to CAR's, effectiveness of CAR, and Delivery. I just don't create a graph or chart that consolidates it. It gives a score within the system and then gives a rating based on that score as preferred, marginal, or unqualified. My procedure states what actions are taken if a supplier becomes marginal or unqualified.

Attachments

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
1- my raw material suppliers are on the list - just not tooling and fluid suppliers.
2 - I do keep metrics on raw material and outside processing electronically via my quality system software. It's an evaluation that gives scoring based on # of CAR's issued, timeliness of response to CAR's, effectiveness of CAR, and Delivery. I just don't create a graph or chart that consolidates it. It gives a score within the system and then gives a rating based on that score as preferred, marginal, or unqualified. My procedure states what actions are taken if a supplier becomes marginal or unqualified.
Time to appeal the NCR - ask for clarification from the register - in this case base on the NCR it appears that they are from SAI Global. Call them up and ask for interpretation of the requirements and that you are interested in appealing the NCR. And keep us posted of the interpretation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
QMMike Extrusion Dies - Perishable Tooling? APQP and PPAP 4
K Perishable Tooling On Receiving Log ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K Tool crib clerk inventories Perishable Tooling - Part Number Tool Lists - Auditable? General Auditing Discussions 2
D Definition Perishable tooling - Definition - Including PPAP Definition of Perishable tooling Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
Douglas E. Purdy Acceptability of Perishable Tooling - How do you establish the standards/requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
C Statistical technique sought for predicting replacement of perishable tooling Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
Stuart Andrews Perishable vs. Consumable Tooling (4.9.g.1) - What are the differences? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
E Quality Clause for Purchasing Perishable Materials such as adhesives, primer etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Tool change programs for perishable tools IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Nicole Desouza AS9100D - Calibration of Dies & Tooling - Plastic Extrusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6 a) maintenance and repair facilities - Production tooling management and personnel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S IATF 16949 Supplier Management - Supplier Tooling Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
B PPAP for Disposable Tooling APQP and PPAP 2
T FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new building AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
A Ensuring Tooling Use Tracking and Traceability AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
P Process Validation of inherited tooling by Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Need help with a Control Plan for Encapsulation Mold / Trimming / Forming Tooling FMEA and Control Plans 9
R Managing Tooling Condition at Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Tooling Cost - As an OEM I am paying for a new tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
E Nadcap - Tooling Control - Major Audit Finding (Question) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Machine Shop Tool Crib Procedure - Tooling for CNC mills Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
P What is a Tooling Detail form? APQP and PPAP 2
W What's the difference between Facility, Equipment and Tooling? APQP and PPAP 1
V GM Gage and Tooling Tolerancing Standards APQP and PPAP 3
K Machine Press Tooling Operation Inspection Samples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D AS9100 Tooling Purchasing Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G How to manage a problem Overseas Tooling Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
V Application of AS9100 clause 7.5.1.1 - Tooling Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Tooling Inspection - Re-Inspection of Forge Tooling after it is Refurbished IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Change Prints to accommodate Worn Tooling - There has to be a better way! Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
A Does anyone know what a SRVA is? Chrysler is asking for this for tooling Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
S Plastic Injection Tooling - Understanding Plastic Injection Molding Terms Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Chrysler, GM, and Ford Tooling Records Requirements - What are Tooling Records? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K An easy way to distinguish Tooling vs. Equipment Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
L Injection Moulding - Definitions of T0, T1 Samples produced from new mold tooling Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
A Tooling Status and APQP - When it should become "final"? APQP and PPAP 8
M Tracking Materials and Tooling - Evolving to Real Life Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
S PPAP Clarification - Tooling Transfers APQP and PPAP 2
L Interpreting Injection Molding Tooling Documents - Cavities Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Z Does a Tooling Build or Design Benefit From TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Press Brake Tooling / Back Gauging - Holes for the back stop instead of the Part Edge Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
apestate Ground Tooling produced from OEM Blueprints - Part 21? Of WHAT? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 9
B Tooling Suppliers: Process Audit Check-List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
F Can they take our tools? Inspection vs. Manufacturing Tooling and Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
harrysons Management of Production Tooling - TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1.5 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Adjusting Tolerances because of available tooling? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9