Permissible Exclusions - How is 6.2.2.1 Product design skills being handled

Permissible Exclusions

Sub-Clause 1.2 reads (in part): “The only permitted exclusions for this Technical Specification relate to 7.3…..”

If this is the case, how is 6.2.2.1 Product design skills being handled for a non-design organization? How can you meet the “shall” if you exclude product design? :confused:

IMNSHO, this is a hole in TS. :(

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Speaking of Permissible Exclusions

16949 Allows 7.3 product design to be excluded. It specifically states that process design are not included. Hence my question. There are parts of 7.3 that call out process design, there are other parts that do not. For example: 7.3.1.1 Multidisciplinary approach, does not say "process". Does this apply to process design? 7.3.4 Design and development review, same thing. Does it apply? Or does process design only apply to those sub-clauses that actually say "process"? I think that if the sub-clause can be applied to process, it should be. But where is the "shall", and how should this be approached?

D

Dean P.

I'm not well-versed in TS, I just want to wait and see if you start arguing with yourself.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
ANY HELP?

Is there no-one out there that uses or is familiar with 16949 and can help out?

Dave, Not having the benefit of the spec...I will take a stab (you are at least forwarned to blow this off if it isn't a match :rolleyes: :bonk: )

If the 6 series is resources, like the 9001:2000...then I would say you should use this to point (refer) to whomever is actually performing the tasks and what your company will accept as the minimum requirements.

Does that make sense? :confused: Eileen

A

Al Dyer

Since the shall is under the banner of human resources and training I would say that "if" you are design responsible those individuals performing the function must be competant.

I would say that if a company is not design responsible, it will not formally have trained product design personnel therefore the shall could be covered by a simple statement.

Just a thought.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: Sad state

db said:

It is not a good thing when I have to post replies to my own posts.:eek:
Nope - it's not good. But, all in all, most questions get responses rather rapidly as you know because often you're answering someone elses - for which I and all the others thank you for. Sometimes you have to 'bump' your question as you did. You know how it is with free services!

I'll have a look when I get back to the house tonight, but I suspect it's one of those 'little' things which will end up in a 50 page interpretations list (which those who wrote the document will, of course, blame on auditor incompetence or lack of training!

Dean P. said:

I'm not well-versed in TS, I just want to wait and see if you start arguing with yourself.
I want to see this as well! :thedeal:

M

M Greenaway

db

Perhaps not a hole as such, but not very clever either.

I cant imagine that an auditor would expect to see trained product design personnel at a company that performs no product design.

But you never know.........

K

km2red

I agree with Marc. 6.2.2.1 is in that particular spot because it deals with training. If you do not do product design, and you are "officially" excluded from it, then I would not worry about that requirement.

As for the intermingling of product/process reqirements, you just need to look at the requirements and decipher the wording. Most of the areas that are specifically for design, say so. If it doesn't, it's probably applicable to both, and you need to apply it to process design.

Multi-disciplinary approaches should be used where necessary to ensure that your process will produce a product that conformes to customer requirements. You may need to use (probably will need to use) a multi-disciplinary approach even in process design. It's basically just asking you to get the necessary people involved. (especally when developing a PFMEA, etc.)

Hope this helps :bonk:

Q

Qualiman

Producto Design Skills

:cool:

Nobody is perfect...

IMHO the case of 6.2.2.1 for non design responsible organizations could be a failure of "design" or control of IATF/TC176 and the rest of the team responsible for the 16949:2002... who knows?.

It is not logic a "shall " applicable in Product design skills if the audited DOES NOT HAVE THAT DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY....I repeat, is my opinion.

By the way, talking about mistakes (errors, natural human errors) I have in front of me an IATF final Draft dated July 4 of ISO/TS 2002( which is already obsolete). It says ...7.6.4 Laboratory requirements, but it has to be 7.6.3. The proper order should be:

.......7.6.1 MSA
7.6.2 Calibration Records
7.6.3 Laboratory requirements....

In the official release of ISO/TS Second Edition the mistake was fixed....But some day it happened..

OK .. No attack to anybody , just an asertive opinion and a pretext to say hello to my frends of Elsmar, after a while out of the WEB

Greetings from Mexico

Qualiman

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Permissible Exclusions for QM ISO9001:2008 Audit and Consultancy Services Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Permissible ISO 9001 Exclusions/Omissions for the Service Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R ISO 9001:2008 Permissible Exclusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
A Permissible exclusions in ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Permissible Exclusions - ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 158
J Subcontracted Services - Permissible Exclusions Service Industry Specific Topics 9
W Permissible Exclusions in Section 7 - Design control requirements - No design Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
Marc Definition MPEE - Maximum Permissible Error for Length Measurement Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Mohammed Gouda What is the maximum permissible period of delaying the validation of equipment? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
Y No permissible error statement on the thermometer calibration report General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B Permissible Exclusion for Clause 7.5.2 in a Real Estate Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J IEC60825 - Laser Safety - Calculating Maximum Permissible Exposure Correctly Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
D What is the difference between Tolerance and Permissible Error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Are Form Taps permissible to use? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D How to compute the Permissible Errors for Class 2 Weighing Scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S How to define Permissible Error for Measurement and Test Equipment? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M Permissible Authorities of CB (Certification Body) Auditors General Auditing Discussions 3
J Blueprint Note: Rectangular Distribution is Permissible - Concentricity of Two Holes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
N ASME B89.1.13 question regarding Resolution and Maximum Permissible Error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Design & Development in Food and Beverage Services - Permissible exclusion or not? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S Is this exclusion Permissible by the standard - Company Divisional Differences ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Maximum Permissible Error for Monitoring and Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
S EN AS 9100 Permissible Exclusion and Provision - Aerospace design and development Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
J Is it permissible to use data from calibrations as part of a gage R&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Exclusions or justification for non-applicability of IEC standards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
B ISO 13485 exemption and/or exclusions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Eligibility for certification to IATF 16949 - Exclusions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C ISO13485 exclusions for design and automation company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K ISO 9001 2015 Exclusions - Product Design is purchased. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M AS9100D - Updating Scope Exclusions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
R Exclusions to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C TS 16949 Exclusions outside of clause 7.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Exclusions clause 7.3 - Our organization doesn?t design products - ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I AS9100 - What QMS Exclusions are allowed? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
S How to document "Exclusions" in the Quality Manual AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
M TS16949 Exclusions - Design & Development is carried out by our parent company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
B TS16949 - 7.3 Design and Development Exclusions for a Service Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
x-files [Exclusions] 7.3 Design and development vs. Thermal Powerplant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A Quality Manual Statements - ISO 9001:2008 Design and Development Exclusions Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
A ISO 9001 Certificate with EXCLUSIONS Statement Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
T Need Exclusions to be shown in ISO 9001 Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J ISO13485 Clause exclusions for a Medical Software Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A ISO 13485 Section 7.3 Design & Development Exclusions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S ISO 9001 Clause 7 Exclusions and Justifications for a Business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
L ISO 9001 Registration of 1 Plant in a Company - Exclusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Question about Design Exclusions - Clause 7.3 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Quality System Manual - Exclusions from ISO 13485 Clause 7.5 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.3 Design and Development Exclusions Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Guidance on ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 Design and Development Exclusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J AS9101C - Scoring for Unjustifiable Non-Addressed Clauses (Exclusions) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4