Personnel performing specific assigned tasks shall be qualified - Interpretation

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Being somewhat new to TS, I was wondering what the understanding and interpretation is to the latter statement of 6.2.2.2.

"Personnel performing specific assigned tasks shall be qualified, as required, with particular attention to the satisfaction of customer requirements."

I did not find any interpretation or frequently asked question regarding this requirement on the IOAB site, but I have seen where the company I am working for has had a finding attributed to this requirement.

Was TS trying to continue the concept of QS "qualification" in conjunction with the 9001 "competency" requirement or what? Where does the "as required" come from? What are "specific assigned tasks"? Was TS really trying to establish that personnel involved with performing Customer Specific Requirements are to be qualified / trained in those requirements (which was how the finding back in 2004 was written)?

Just Wondering,
Doug

C

chaosweary

Re: 6.2.2.2 Personnel performing specific assigned tasks shall be qualified

We have always gotten by with people having records of training for their jobs. Because their jobs produce a product that satisfies customer requirements (if it didn't we would have a ton of returns and complaints).

How you give evidence to show people who are qualified are giving particular (or more attention) to satisfaction of requirements is just quality speak.

I feel the intent is to develop a relationship between what people are trained to do should relate to satisfaction of the customer, to me that is implicit. I guess it ties into knowing how doing or not doing your job affects the customer, the problem is knowing is one thing, caring is another!

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Being somewhat new to TS, I was wondering what the understanding and interpretation is to the latter statement of 6.2.2.2.

"Personnel performing specific assigned tasks shall be qualified, as required, with particular attention to the satisfaction of customer requirements."

I did not find any interpretation or frequently asked question regarding this requirement on the IOAB site, but I have seen where the company I am working for has had a finding attributed to this requirement.

It's helpful if you can quote the finding.

Where does the "as required" come from? What are "specific assigned tasks"?

I think "specific assigned tasks" is synonymous with "work addressed by the standard." It applies to people who work on the customer's product, such as machine operators, quality people, shipping people, etc. It's meant, I think, to exclude support people such as housekeeping staff.
"As required" can refer to "the organization's" requirements for different positions (as documented in job descriptions, e.g.) or regulatory requirements.

Was TS really trying to establish that personnel involved with performing Customer Specific Requirements are to be qualified / trained in those requirements (which was how the finding back in 2004 was written)

That's part of it--customer requirements are to get "particular attention." It can be as simple as making sure that operators understand requirements for special characteristics, or as complex as certification of welders or NDC techs, if that's a customer requirement.

Douglas E. Purdy

We have always gotten by with people having records of training for their jobs. Because their jobs produce a product that satisfies customer requirements (if it didn't we would have a ton of returns and complaints).

How you give evidence to show people who are qualified are giving particular (or more attention) to satisfaction of requirements is just quality speak.

I feel the intent is to develop a relationship between what people are trained to do should relate to satisfaction of the customer, to me that is implicit. I guess it ties into knowing how doing or not doing your job affects the customer, the problem is knowing is one thing, caring is another!

So do you have training records for those participating in your APQP Team showing that they have been trained in the Customer's Customer Specific Requirements, or do you have a Job Description and Resume showing that those participating in the APQP Team have worked with the Automotive Reference Manuals and have experience in developing FMEAs, Control Plans, etc.?

Doug

C

chaosweary

So do you have training records for those participating in your APQP Team showing that they have been trained in the Customer's Customer Specific Requirements, or do you have a Job Description and Resume showing that those participating in the APQP Team have worked with the Automotive Reference Manuals and have experience in developing FMEAs, Control Plans, etc.?

Doug

We do have training documented for control plans and fmeas as well as the quality folks that recieve and maintain customer specific requirements. We have very little requirements that are specific / specific assigned tasks just for the customer. One that comes to mind is labeling (we have specific training for that). I love how note number 1 almost contradicts 6.2.2.2, it goes from specifc assigned tasks to all employees that have an effect on quality at all levels. Nothing like putting something subjective into a standard. :tg: I also love how it is written like your company is supplying custom products. How about the commodity model here???

Douglas E. Purdy

We do have training documented for control plans and fmeas as well as the quality folks that recieve and maintain customer specific requirements.

Is this to say that only the Quality personnel on the APQP Team are trained as to the Customer Specific Requirements and not the other disciplines on the team? [Just a point of clarification.] If so, could you share an example of such evidence with me?

Thanks,
Doug

C

chaosweary

I think our we have different dynamics, we don't have a team called APQP. We have product and process teams throughout the lifelife cycle including design teams. I would only be showing you a record of training for our two CSR's on our certificate. The other disciplines are only trained if the CSRs affect them. For example we aren't going to train design engineers on a customers specific labeling. However, we will train shipping. Just the people that affect the specific quality requirement are trained.

Top Bottom