PFMEA bending of steel tube

I work for a steel tube manufacturer and we have a sister company that performs some bending of these tubes. I have been asked to help them develop pfmeas for the bending process(es). I will basically be starting from scratch and will have to train them on pfmeas in general as well. I was wondering if any of you great folks might have a basic pfmea for tube bending that I could use as a starting point and/or show as an example to get the ball rolling?

Thank you in advance for any support.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

malasuerte

Posts Moderated
I work for a steel tube manufacturer and we have a sister company that performs some bending of these tubes. I have been asked to help them develop pfmeas for the bending process(es). I will basically be starting from scratch and will have to train them on pfmeas in general as well. I was wondering if any of you great folks might have a basic pfmea for tube bending that I could use as a starting point and/or show as an example to get the ball rolling?

Not to be too harsh, but that is not what an FMEA is about. You can show a generic example of any FMEA as part of your training. But the whole point is to go through the whole process SIPOC, C&E, FMEA so that the FMEA is meaningful and useable for the organization.

Or you can fill in the fields for a 'sample' FMEA - it shouldn't be that difficult.

Not to be too harsh, but that is not what an FMEA is about. You can show a generic example of any FMEA as part of your training. But the whole point is to go through the whole process SIPOC, C&E, FMEA so that the FMEA is meaningful and useable for the organization.

Or you can fill in the fields for a 'sample' FMEA - it shouldn't be that difficult.
Awesome. Thank you.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Mike: I work for a company which produces bent steel tubing unfortunately I am not permitted to share our PFMEA publicly, however I would be happy to answer any specific questions that you may have. Feel free to message me directly, and I'll give you what assistance I can.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

What is "C&E," and why is SIPOC necessary?

Funboi

Posts Moderated
Although it is tempting to simply generate a PFMEA for tube bending, it is important to first define the process Which needs control to assure a quality result. Only then can you look at potential failure modes. Thereafter, you can decide the plan to control the process. A “SIPOC” isn’t necessary, a process “flow” is. Cause and effect (of what?) is also not needed.
This thread and the mass-debate about “missing fields” amplifies how much misinformation there is about this tool.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
What is "C&E," and why is SIPOC necessary?
C&E is a Cause and Effect Matrix
SIPOC is a macro level process map for Supplier, Inputs, Process, Outputs, Customer.

They are tools that are often taught as part of Six Sigma. C&E Matrix is used to narrow the search to those operations that are most likely to contain the Key process input variables (KPIVs) following by an PFMEA to further narrow the possibilities. The narrowed list is used as the basis for experiments to confirm the KPIV.

They are not typically used as a precursor for a PFMEA done for APQP.

I will basically be starting from scratch and will have to train them on pfmeas in general as well.
Mike, do you have any FMEA training materials to get you started? Are you aware that AIAG publishes an FMEA manual which is widely accepted? Here is the link: aiag.org/store/publications/details?ProductCode=FMEA-4 The book covers Design FMEA, Process FMEA, and System FMEA.

One option for your training to "get the ball rolling" is to start with a simple process that all of your trainees have a common understanding of. Things like brewing a cup of coffee, baking a pizza, or driving your car around the block. But as the other posters mentioned, I'd suggest trainees first understand basics like flowcharting the process before moving into dividing up each process step to identify potential failure modes. Once a process flow chart and PFMEA is understood for these simpler examples, then you move on to bending tubes.

Please feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn if you need training assistance.

Good luck!
Brian Buss, CQE, CQA

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Mike, do you have any FMEA training materials to get you started? Are you aware that AIAG publishes an FMEA manual which is widely accepted? Here is the link: aiag.org/store/publications/details?ProductCode=FMEA-4 The book covers Design FMEA, Process FMEA, and System FMEA.

One option for your training to "get the ball rolling" is to start with a simple process that all of your trainees have a common understanding of. Things like brewing a cup of coffee, baking a pizza, or driving your car around the block. But as the other posters mentioned, I'd suggest trainees first understand basics like flowcharting the process before moving into dividing up each process step to identify potential failure modes. Once a process flow chart and PFMEA is understood for these simpler examples, then you move on to bending tubes.

Please feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn if you need training assistance.

Good luck!
Brian Buss, CQE, CQA
I did an example of the breakfast order for the staff here, it was amazing how easy it translated compared to the original example i had. When we then moved on to our processes here it was suprisingly easy and people had a lot more input than they orginally expected.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D PFMEA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
N Must PFMEA Occurrence Factor be Changed Periodically? FMEA and Control Plans 17
A PFMEA - Minor Non-Conformance for field left blank IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 56
I IEC 60812 or ISO 14971 for PFMEA? What should we use? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J PFMEA severity with no knowledge of operating conditions FMEA and Control Plans 3
T PFMEA vs MFMEA or DFMEA on equipment/machinery FMEA and Control Plans 19
C Inspection Operation in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
J PFMEA/control plan question- PLEASE HELP ! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C Pass through characteristics on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Initial PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
L PFMEA for test procedures (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K PFMEA Severity (9-1) mitigation needed? FMEA and Control Plans 20
Sonja D AIAG VDA PFMEA and Control Plan training FMEA and Control Plans 9
J Error Proofing sensors in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
DuncanGibbons Process flow & PFMEA for production planning and simulation activities? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
D PFMEA Software search Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
P Benefit risk analysis on pFMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
P Equipment URS, pFMEA and dFMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
W Pfmea function requirement and failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 6
G Control Plan & PFMEA Review Procedure? FMEA and Control Plans 10
M Material incoming to the production process reflected in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 9
R Power Failure or Cold Start Situation in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
M "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 4
C AIAG-VDA PFMEA - 1st special Characteristics? [5step vs. 6step] FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Linking Control Plans and PFMEA's FMEA and Control Plans 3
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
R DFMEA/PFMEA mitigation of high severity (9-10) in low volume products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
A ISO 14971 PFMEA Manufacturing Risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
D Can PFMEA be used in disposition of NC material? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
A PFMEA new AIAG FMEA and Control Plans 0
Q Is that any difficulty to do software DFMEA and PFMEA in ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
bobdoering Informational New AIAG PFMEA Process - Excel Template Attached FMEA and Control Plans 28
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
A PFMEA English language question IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Is there any connection between PFMEA and Acceptance Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
N PFMEA repetitive failure modes in subsecuent stations. FMEA and Control Plans 1
T DFMEA/PFMEA and SCCAF alignment FMEA and Control Plans 19
N Control plan evaluation methods - Which methods should be carried over from the PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
A PFMEA - How long should the recommended actions remain in the recommended actions column? APQP and PPAP 3
S How to fulfill PFMEA "requirement" column? FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Informational Family or Baseline PFMEA Rules FMEA and Control Plans 22
A PFMEA severity score different applications FMEA and Control Plans 11
M Control Method correspondence between PFMEA and CP FMEA and Control Plans 8
O Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 3