PFMEA - Minor Non-Conformance for field left blank

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
In fairness, I think I've read the bolded text in just about every Cove thread asking for feedback on an audit observation. It's not wrong, but if that's the final answer we could pretty much close every such thread.
You've read it in many threads because it is sound advice. What is your point?

It's not the final answer; it's what we all want to know so we can help.

Funboi

On Holiday
Hello Cove,

We are currently going through our IATF surveillance audit. The auditor just wrote us a minor non-conformance because he found a PFMEA that did not have "None" written under recommended actions, the box was just blank. Per the auditor this is required per AIAG. The customer in question does not require us to use AIAG nor do their CSRs require the word "None" to be used to show that actions were considered. Is this something I should argue or should I just take it on the chin?
The fact is that IATF auditors are expected to write findings. They are not expected to write useful findings.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
There is a strong word - "They must decide..."
Empty cell is evidence, that team has not decided.
There is no option to appeal.

A blank is not evidence of anything. It could have easily been missed in error or it may have been ignored on purpose.

I didn't see the actual NC text but I would like to.

I will check later tonight but I think IATF16949 has a requirement to show a RPN reduction activity on every PFMEA.

At my last company, we had "Not at this time" for every line on the PFMEA for the initial PPAP.

Ac101118

Starting to get Involved
A blank is not evidence of anything. It could have easily been missed in error or it may have been ignored on purpose.

I didn't see the actual NC text but I would like to.

I will check later tonight but I think IATF16949 has a requirement to show a RPN reduction activity on every PFMEA.

At my last company, we had "Not at this time" for every line on the PFMEA for the initial PPAP.

Standard Clause: 8.3.5.2 - Manufacturing process design output

"The PFMEA for *Part Name, number, and revision* does not meet the criteria defined in the AIAG PFMEA manual latest revision. AIAG FMEA, 4th Edition, page #61 "if the assessment leads to no recommended action for a specific failure mode/cause/control combination, indicate this by entering "none" in the this column". The observed PFMEA has several columns where this recommended column is blank."

jmech

Trusted Information Resource
The customer in question does not require us to use AIAG nor do their CSRs require the word "None" to be used to show that actions were considered.
Standard Clause: 8.3.5.2 - Manufacturing process design output

"The PFMEA for *Part Name, number, and revision* does not meet the criteria defined in the AIAG PFMEA manual latest revision. AIAG FMEA, 4th Edition, page #61 "if the assessment leads to no recommended action for a specific failure mode/cause/control combination, indicate this by entering "none" in the this column". The observed PFMEA has several columns where this recommended column is blank."
Is there anything requiring this PFMEA to meet the AIAG criteria?

Top Bottom