PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products?

Hello all,

We're producing plastic injection parts (nearly 3000 different types of products) and it's impossible to track their PFMEA and Control plan. So, I'd like to know if it's possible to make a common PFMEA for every step of process, such as;

1. Receiving Inspection FMEA​
2. Material Preparation FMEA​
3. Injection Process FMEA​
4. Felt Assembly FMEA​
5. Screw Tightening FMEA​
..etc.​
I know that it'll be impossible to implement all C/M that we take in PFMEAs to all related products but at the end FMEA is also a database for the failure modes of process.

Do you know that if it's allowed by IATF certificated bodies to make a generic FMEA like I indicate above?

Thank you,

We had the same problem - make 2500 metal parts. After several attempts we settled on a "universal" fema that covers everything. We keep that updated and current. When we need one for a specific part we cut and paste from the master. Once that specific Fmea is printed it is essentially "obsolete" as all updates are done to the master. So far so good, it works for us.

GRP

Involved In Discussions
Hello all,

We're producing plastic injection parts (nearly 3000 different types of products) and it's impossible to track their PFMEA and Control plan. So, I'd like to know if it's possible to make a common PFMEA for every step of process, such as;

1. Receiving Inspection FMEA​
2. Material Preparation FMEA​
3. Injection Process FMEA​
4. Felt Assembly FMEA​
5. Screw Tightening FMEA​
..etc.​
I know that it'll be impossible to implement all C/M that we take in PFMEAs to all related products but at the end FMEA is also a database for the failure modes of process.

Do you know that if it's allowed by IATF certificated bodies to make a generic FMEA like I indicate above?

Thank you,
My reading of the IATF standard is that it does not go into details of PFMEA, but it states that the control plan shall show linkage to- and incorporate information from the PFMEA.

If you look at AIAG, SAE and at least one major OEM, it is acceptable to use family fmeas, check FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes

Top Bottom