PFMEA (Process FMEA) Detection Rating - Actions to Reduce RPN

AYDOSE

Involved In Discussions
Hi everybody,

Acc. to FMEA 4th eddition; rating on severity, occurence and detection we had a trouble to take action to reduce RPN. I have a specific question may be some of you (electroplated wire drawing) can assist me on this specific question.:confused:
I try to explain my question with an example as follows:
Potential faulire mode: Copper exposure on tin plated wire
Potential Effect(s) of Faulire: 100% scrap and/or production delay.
Severity:8
Potential Cause(s) of failure: wearing plate deformation
Occurrence: 5
Current controls(Preventive): Periodical changes of wearing plates,Visual control atte beginning of production
Current controls(Detection):Visual control on product for copper exposure
Detection Ranking: 7

So my question; did any one knows about to decrease the detection by automated controls such as "to render in visual images control" in-station
It would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi everybody,

According to FMEA 4th edition; rating on severity, occurrence and detection we had a trouble to take action to reduce RPN. I have a specific question may be some of you (electroplated wire drawing) can assist me on this specific question.:confused:
I try to explain my question with an example as follows:
Potential failure mode: Copper exposure on tin plated wire
Potential Effect(s) of Failure: 100% scrap and/or production delay.
Severity:8
Potential Cause(s) of failure: wearing plate deformation
Occurrence: 5
Current controls(Preventive): Periodical changes of wearing plates,Visual control at the beginning of production
Current controls(Detection):Visual control on product for copper exposure
Detection Ranking: 7

So my question; does anyone know about to decrease the detection by automated controls such as "to render in visual images control" in-station.
It would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Can someone with this type of manufacturing experience help?

Thank you very much!

Stijloor.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
This doesn't seem right: the preventive control of changing out the plates should be more effective; the actual occurence rate of exposed copper should be lower than a 5 IF the preventive control for the cause is working correctly. Also a detection rating of 7 is very low (remember that detection ratings are the opposite of severity and occurence. a 1 = certain detection and a 10 = can't detect or no detection in place) Also a severity rating of 8 for scrap/rework is awfully high.

Attending to any of the above will reduce the RPN.
  • Ensure that the rating assessments are correct
  • Improve the preventive control to reduce the occurence rate of the FAILURE MODE
  • Improve the detection control

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
oops - hit submit a little too soon.

If the OP can add more details about the detection and preventive controls we could also provide some suggestions for improving them.

Top Bottom