PFMEA (Process FMEA) - What is the best approach?

M

mayank_thkkr

Hi,

We are in dilemma with following situation.

Ours is a EPC company dealing in Power Projects. We do not have standard component, rather similar components are prepared on daily basis but the dimensions, design, specification, construction are different based on project requirement. But common thing is we follow similar manufacturing process (Not is same sequence) i.e Different Welding Processes, Machining, Painting etc.

The time between Design Release and Start of Manufacturing is very less.

Now the Question is Considering the organization Business Model what will be the best approach for PFMEA ?

Option 1 : Do PFMEA on Manufacturing Process (i.e Welding ) and improve it ?

Option 2 : Do PFMEA on every component before start of manufacturing ?

Want your thoughts on pro / cons of both the approach ?

Thanks
:thanks:

MT

V

VBABU

Re: PFMEA - What is the best approach?

Hi,

First of all list out process & Freeze Process code (Like.5,10....) & choose the Option 1

With Regards

V.BABU

S

ssz102

PFMEA is aim of find out potential defective or dangers and continuouslly improvement these defective process
so you can development a PFEMA for every parts instead of every station; when prepare PFMEA, generally, done it before pilot production

V

VBABU

Yes, But A successful FMEA helps a team to identify potential failure modes based on past experience with similar Processes, enabling the team to design those failures out of the system with the minimum of effort and resource expenditure, thereby reducing development time and costs

WITH REGARDS

V.BABU

D

DrM2u

There are many threads on the topic of PFMEA: when, how, who, etc. In a nutshell, the usual sequence of activities is:
Process plan (or Process Flow Diagram) -> Process FMEA -> Process Control Plan
These activities often overlap, but it is not advisable to overlap CP with PFD and skip PFMEA.

Now, to come back to your question. As the name implies, the PFMEA is done for Processes not for Product. That means, in cand be done for the processes specific to a product or for processes common to a family of products (like it seems to be your case from your description). The PFMEA can be performed one for all the processes or separate ones for each process. I like the second method because it keeps the documents smaller and easier to control, and gives more flexibility when combining processes to address specific needs. It is highly desirable to perform the planning before you start production, but it is never too late do document your processes and improve them using these tools.

Best of luck!

A

Apoch

This is how we do it in our manufacturing company.
We start with understanding the voice of the customer (VoC) in which specific requirements are identified. These shall then be translated to product and process characteristics which are guided with the use of DFMEA and PFMEA respectively. Controls identified in the FMEA process shall then be further translated to a Process Control Plan.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Hello everybody,
I decided to put my question here and not to open a new thread. I think it might be relevant.
in PFMEA of a project should it be included a failure cause occuring at our customer which is directly linked to a failure mode which exists in PFMEA?
The company where I work is sending connectors populated with wires and at customer assy line the operators are bending the connectors under certain angle and this creates tension on the already populated wires and then some terminals get pushed out at customer assembly line, not in our processes. Should this failure cause be included in PFMEA ? I think in PFMEA should be included what could go wrong in our processes, not during processes of our customer.
Thank you very much for your answers in advance.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
... sending connectors populated with wires and at customer assy line the operators are bending the connectors under certain angle and this creates tension on the already populated wires and then some terminals get pushed out at customer assembly line, not in our processes. Should this failure cause be included in PFMEA?
Sounds like a design issue - Stress relief issue. Picture of the wired connector from the wires side would help.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Hello,
I understand picture will help a lot, but on my desk computer I don´t have this data. I am sorry.
I believe my question is more general and could be answered even without picture.
Should this failure cause be addressed in DFMEA of connector or PFMEA ? and in PFMEA we only include what could go wrong in our processes and how we control it, is that correct ?
Thank u all.

Top Bottom