PFMEA Severity Ranking - 9 is with warning and a 10 is without warning

M

mike852

General Question - for ranking severity, the only difference between a 9 and a 10 is, a 9 is with warning and a 10 is without warning. Does warning include operator notification that the process he/she is performing may be "hazardous" or, does the process have to signal some type of warning that a failure is about to occurr, say a flashing light or horn sounding. Also, does process failure warning include a part that fails in steps? For example, an operator pressurizes a pipe, and the pipe starts to hiss (which warns the operator) before it explodes, versus, the pipe is pressurized and then explodes without any warning (no hissing)? Any clarification on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Mike,

You have valid questions but the value of the ratings are very subjective. There is no right or wrong ranking system, the supplier defines what the ranking system is based on the specific product or process.

The tables in the AIAG FMEA manual are only "suggested" evaluation criteria.

Hope this helps a bit.

ASD...

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Is anyone aware of any 'standard' or guideline(s) on PFMEAs with respect to operator notification in cases of potential exposure to hazards? I've worked in several 'hazardous' industries and I don't remember ever seeing any links. I think that's addressed by the safety aspect (including givernmental regulations), yes?

bpritts

Involved - Posts
Marc,

The most recent (3d edition) automotive FMEA manual parallels the end user's
situation (failure without warning = 10, failure with warning = 9); they
also give a 10 if a component/material endangers a downstream manufacturing
process/operator (without warning = 10, with warning = 9).
P 43 of DX/Ford/GM manual). No real elaboration, though.

I would have to agree with the earlier comment in the thread, though ---
I don't anguish over 1 point differences in the inputs for occurrence, severity,
and detection figures. It's more important to anguish over how to achieve
improvements.

Regards,

Brad

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

bpritts said:
I would have to agree with the earlier comment in the thread, though ---
I don't anguish over 1 point differences in the inputs for occurrence, severity,
and detection figures. It's more important to anguish over how to achieve
improvements.
Agreed!!!! I've seen much to much time wasted arguing whether it should be a 9 or 10 - or 5 or 6. Some customers have even come out with their own improved (??) rating tables - which haven't clarified much of anything.

One of the only things I harp at our teams about is to be consistent - no matter the rating value.

Bill

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I haven't seen anything in writing to clarify this. To me though, if I'm walking through a mine field it's a 10 regardless of whether posted warning signs exist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O PFMEA - Reducing Severity (S) Ranking - Manufacturing Process Design Changes FMEA and Control Plans 4
R DFMEA/PFMEA mitigation of high severity (9-10) in low volume products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
A PFMEA severity score different applications FMEA and Control Plans 11
C Determining PFMEA Severity for Armored Parts FMEA and Control Plans 5
G Internal vs. External PFMEA Severity Rankings FMEA and Control Plans 12
C Does the PFMEA Severity have to match the DFMEA Severity? FMEA and Control Plans 3
M PFMEA Severity - What is Process FMEA Severity estimation based on? FMEA and Control Plans 77
G AIAG PFMEA (3rd edition) Severity Rankings - Define a "portion of the product" FMEA and Control Plans 3
Ron Rompen Development of the PFMEA - SEVERITY scores not derived from the DFMEA - Ford FMEA and Control Plans 13
R PFMEA - RPN - Severity, Occurrence and Detection - Which one does not change? FMEA and Control Plans 67
Howard Atkins Differences Between QS-9000 and VDA PFMEA Severity Index VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
A ISO 14971 PFMEA Manufacturing Risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
D Can PFMEA be used in disposition of NC material? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
A PFMEA new AIAG FMEA and Control Plans 0
Q Is that any difficulty to do software DFMEA and PFMEA in ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
bobdoering Informational New AIAG PFMEA Process - Excel Template Attached FMEA and Control Plans 23
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
A PFMEA English language question IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Is there any connection between PFMEA and Acceptance Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
N PFMEA repetitive failure modes in subsecuent stations. FMEA and Control Plans 1
T DFMEA/PFMEA and SCCAF alignment FMEA and Control Plans 19
N Control plan evaluation methods - Which methods should be carried over from the PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
A PFMEA - How long should the recommended actions remain in the recommended actions column? APQP and PPAP 3
S How to fulfill PFMEA "requirement" column? FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Informational Family or Baseline PFMEA Rules FMEA and Control Plans 22
M Control Method correspondence between PFMEA and CP FMEA and Control Plans 8
O Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18
W Is the RPN (risk priority number) in the PFMEA really a RPN without the detectability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
I Making a process PFMEA, no DFMEA (non-automotive toll manufacturer) FMEA and Control Plans 1
Proud Liberal DFMEA / PFMEA linkage - Where in the standards do I find it? FMEA and Control Plans 5
N PQC (Product Quality Characteristics) and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
N PFMEA Potential Failure Mode for Weight FMEA and Control Plans 5
M I need a sample Reverse PFMEA Process Checklist FMEA and Control Plans 2
C PFMEA example with machining (lathe+mill) FMEA and Control Plans 1
L Simple Example for PFMEA / Control Plan Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
B Proactive efforts to reduce risk - PFMEA risk reduction activities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N PFMEA no effect ratings FMEA and Control Plans 15
N DFMEA, Drawings and PFMEA of an Assembly Process FMEA and Control Plans 12
A PFMEA for DC Motor FMEA and Control Plans 5
Crimpshrine13 PFMEA Scope - Oversized Special Characteristic FMEA and Control Plans 4
B PFMEA and Control Plan Links APQP and PPAP 2
B Update our PFMEA after Supplier updates their PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 4
Q PFMEA Scope and Detection Controls FMEA and Control Plans 1