Photos of filled forms

Hello,

I'm helping a group of startup labs (7 locations total), and our lab staff asked me a question regarding the storage of filled/completed forms on a digital platform. I've never come across this question before now:

Just a thought, instead of having digital forms for each of the daily tasks etc. would it be sufficient to submit a picture of the paper form when it is filled? For example, I'm looking at the cleaning schedule forms, the app we use has a nice interface of taking/submitting photos and I was wondering if it would work if at the end of the month, they could snap photos of the filled cleaning forms and submit the photos.

If after they are submitted, they only need to be stored to have a record I think this could work. If we need to export any of the data from these forms that may be a bit more difficult as they would be stored as an image. Im only suggesting this for the long log style forms (date/initial).

Let me know if this is a possibility as it could 'declutter' the submissions we receive from each lab.

Thinking they fill out the form manually in the binder.. But as we are located everywhere, just storing a photo in records.

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Hello,

I'm helping a group of startup labs (7 locations total), and our lab staff asked me a question regarding the storage of filled/completed forms on a digital platform. I've never come across this question before now:

Just a thought, instead of having digital forms for each of the daily tasks etc. would it be sufficient to submit a picture of the paper form when it is filled?
Thinking they fill out the form manually in the binder.. But as we are located everywhere, just storing a photo in records.

Thanks!
Good day @dwilkerson ;
If I understand the question correctly, the organizations have committed to recording evidence of certain tasks, and are asking if PHOTOGRAPHIC retention of these records is acceptable (vs the actual "hard" copies).

The question to be asking here is .."why is it NOT be acceptable to retain photographic instead of 'hard' copies?".

I believe you and your teams will easily recognize that there is no rule or reason as to why this would not be allowed.
(the additional question you may wish to pursue is..."what records is it beneficial for us to retain". I come across numerous organizations who have "over committed" in regards to record keeping. Be sure to always as the question "so what" in regard to ANY assigned management system/record keeping requirement. Is there a customer, internal, or other requirement to keep these records? How does/does it, benefit the organization to keep these records? )

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Hello David,

While I agree with John...no reason a picture is any different than a scan or a hardcopy...taking that approach is a choice to limit any later data mining you might find valuable in the future.
Consider:
1. How many of test X do we do vs Test Y?
2. If we thought Test A takes the same time as Test B, was that assumption correct for billing?
3. Do we do so little of Test Q that we should stop offering that service, it isn't profitable?
etc.....
It will be an agonizing nightmare to get that data from pictures, a 2minute job if the form itself was filled electronically (assuming a database on the back end).

Both ways are allowable (assuming retention security), one has a whole lot more upside for the future.

JimS

Involved In Discussions
I agree with Ninja that photos would be very limiting for any downstream use of the information within the forms. Unless you could find a way to add it all as metadata to the image files?

You could also look at simple tools to help. I don't know if it'll do the trick but I have the free Adobe Scan app on my phone. It'll snap to the borders of the document, take an image, OCR it and save it as a PDF. Nice, clean, searchable document in seconds. At home I find it very useful.

And it seems to me that once you've created the image as your record, you have to deal with that paper original. If it's hanging around in somebody's drawer, especially at another location, what's keeping said person from pulling it out and altering it in some fashion? One location, one truth.

Thank you for all of the replies! I agree that photos could potentially cause trouble later downstream, unless we do something like meta-data, tags, etc. Thanks again, David

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AnaMariaVR2 Mars-Inspired Art, Commissioned by NASA, Births Strange Sci-Fi Photos Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
A Is taking Photos by the Auditor during FDA Inspections allowed? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
T Anyone help finding root cause like photos? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
Richard Regalado Our Beautiful World courtesy of NASA - Photos of Earth Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
B Looking for Photos of Surface Mount Device (SMD) Soldering Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
Marc Lascaux Cave Paintings - Rare And Never-Seen Photos Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Marc iPad FCC Teardown and Analysis with photos After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc NASA Photos and Videos now Online! World News 3
A 787 Aircraft Photos and Video Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Wes Bucey Is yawning contagious? Photos of celebrities caught in mid yawn Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Wes Bucey Digital Photos - 1,000 megapixels! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Wes Bucey Google maps and Google Earth satellite photos - WoW! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 28
P Filled in F48/F49 for internal audit ISO 17025:2017 Internal Auditing 2
A UDI requirements for pre-filled combination devices - Box containing a pre-filled device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C AS9100 8.3 Procedure for Non-Conforming Parts - When should an NCR be filled out? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
L Filled examples of a Factor Tree (PDCA-FTA) Analysis or a Training Document wanted Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
O External Sterilization of Aseptically Filled Pre-filled Syringes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Paperwork not Properly Filled Out and Signed Off Internal Auditing 9
Ajit Basrur Do anyone have filled examples of Is and Is Not Analysis ? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
H Surgical Sealant Package Integrity Test for Glass Vial Filled Product Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K NCR (Nonconformance Report) - Basic questions - When should an NCR be filled out? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Ajit Basrur Pre Filled Syringes (PFS) - Effect of Containers on the Contents 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
E Essential Requirements - Example of the essential requirements filled in ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Should "missed process step" be filled in PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R Airbus AP1003 (environment) form filled in AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T Controlling filled out "forms" (eg Operator job specific work instructions) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Marc Cardboard Filled Pork Dumplings World News 18
A What should be filled in FAIR (aerospace engineering services)? Clause 8.2.4.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A 510(k) Screening Checklist that the RA has filled out - Is that sheet for FDA use? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Packaging: "thoroughly purged and filled with dry nitrogen gas" Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
R Using Control charts on shopfloor filled by operators Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
L Change Log in (controlled) Forms? (ISO 9001:2015) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Electronic forms QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
E Document Change Request forms (or no forms)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
M Forms review Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T Controlled Forms or documented requirements for records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Serialization and Reconciliation of Forms Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 7
I When do FORMs and Log Files become Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Forms Master List versus Record Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M What to do about Non Conformance forms that are deleted or missing? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
R Purchase order forms - who keeps them? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
GreatNate Various Audit Templates - Canned forms and templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
W Informational MDSAP Substantial change / Change of notice forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
I Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Supplier Audit Assessment / Evaluation Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K Do Forms and Templates ALWAYS become Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4