Physical / Mental Capabilities and Working Conditions in Job Description?

A

Amy Lynn

The company I work for had an ISO Auditor come in to perform our ISO Training. He suggested that we make all of out Job Descriptions as short and concise as possible. He gave an an example Job Description Form (length = 1 page) which included the following items:
Position Title:
Reports To:
Supervises:
Job Summary:
Job Responsibilities:
Job Skill Requirements:

It is a good form-- very short and sweet. However, on the form, he does not specify any physical / mental capabilities (ie -- "Up to 1/3 of the time sitting, 1/3 to 2/3 walking, 2/3 or more standing" or "Mathematics: Basic math and trigonometry") or working conditions (ie -- "Moderate noise levels, occasionally exceed 65 decibels" or "Up to 1/3 of the time exposed to moving machinery, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals"). It seems like these specifics are important in a machining or manufacturing industry (especially for the safety of the employee), but if I do add all of these specifics, my job descriptions end up being 3 to 4 pages, as opposed to our ISO Trainers example form which is only one page.

Are these specifics things that I have to include? Are they things that could be included elsewhere? I'd rather not put them in if I don't have to, but I don't want to jeapordize the safety of our employees.

Any information would help.

Thanks,

Amy Lynn

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

Just my thoughts

Amy Lynn said:
However, on the form, he does not specify any physical / mental capabilities (ie -- "Up to 1/3 of the time sitting, 1/3 to 2/3 walking, 2/3 or more standing" or "Mathematics: Basic math and trigonometry") or working conditions (ie -- "Moderate noise levels, occasionally exceed 65 decibels" or "Up to 1/3 of the time exposed to moving machinery, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals"). It seems like these specifics are important in a machining or manufacturing industry (especially for the safety of the employee), but if I do add all of these specifics, my job descriptions end up being 3 to 4 pages, as opposed to our ISO Trainers example form which is only one page.

Are these specifics things that I have to include? Are they things that could be included elsewhere? I'd rather not put them in if I don't have to, but I don't want to jeapordize the safety of our employees.

Any information would help.

Thanks,

Amy Lynn
These things can be put in the application package (conditions) for employment, no? :agree:

R

Randy Stewart

Why do you have to have job descriptions? It is not a requirement for ISO.
If you want to outline the roles and responsibilities that way fine but it is not a requirement to do so.
Keep them as short as possible you don't need details. If all that is required is print reading, then say it. You are not trying to fill the position through a trade magazine, you are just outlining what the job is.

I hate job descriptions! they are typically too basic to do any good. As Stew pointed out, they are not required. What is required is that you "determine the necessary competence for personnel performing work affecting product quality." The differences have been discussed in various threads.

C

CINDY

Amy Lynn,

As far as your shop atmosphere is concernd, we listed our as "Inside Shop Area" for working conditions with "Physical attributes to perform job functions". In listing it that way, it kept it short and sweet. More detail is given for each position such as blueprint knowledge, computer knowledge, basic machine knowledge etc.

Try to keep it basic and easy.

Cindy

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I agree with Randy about the perceived need to have a Job Description. Seems like the need to demonstrate comptency has something similar to measuring Customer satisfaction. Organizations have a difficult time thinking outside of the box for other tools to us.

Prior to our Transition Audit, my Organizaion did not have Job Descriptions. Our work culture said that they were too restrictive and made some people prone to saying "That's not my job." Caveat or no caveat stating "...and whatever else your Supervisor asks you to do."

Well, one Transition Audit and a new HR Manager later, we now have Job Descriptions in place. I have never seen my own Job Description, I was never asked what it was I actually do (that's difficult enough for me to answer, how does someone who doesn't do my job know it?), and the ones that I have seen seem too long and cumbersome to be very useful. They almost look more like Job Ads in the waiting. :confused:

Amy Lyn, how about using a matrix? List all the positions along one axis and all the mental/physical requirements along the other. It's a quick way to compare positions at a glace and, not knowing your work environment, helps generate training when people transfer from one position to another.

Randy

Super Moderator
Randy Stewart said:
Why do you have to have job descriptions? It is not a requirement for ISO.
If you want to outline the roles and responsibilities that way fine but it is not a requirement to do so.
Keep them as short as possible you don't need details. If all that is required is print reading, then say it. You are not trying to fill the position through a trade magazine, you are just outlining what the job is.
Apparently you and a few others have never been a defendent during an EEOC lawsuit or other litigation concerning workers/employees. There are other things besides ISO. If you're required to have something that is required by law the best thing to do is to make it as strong and meaningful as you can.

Randy said:
Apparently you and a few others have never been a defendent during an EEOC lawsuit or other litigation concerning workers/employees. There are other things besides ISO. If you're required to have something that is required by law the best thing to do is to make it as strong and meaningful as you can.
No I haven't, and I would never suggest that anyone do anything outside of the law. I even drive the speed limit! However, the context of the post dealt with ISO training. In the ISO world, job descriptions are not required. Any company I have dealt with where job descriptions were required, they were required by union contract. I yet, have to see one where they were required by law.

C

CINDY

If you do not have job descriptions, how does everyone within the organization know what their job is, how they contribute, or what minimum requirements are associated with a specific title/description?

I agree with the matrix, not only for descriptions but for capabilities as well. Without our capability chart we would not know who was qualified to run what machine. This is how ours is set up.

And, if it is not an ISO requirements, why has ours been viewed for the past three years?

Cindy

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
CINDY said:
If you do not have job descriptions, how does everyone within the organization know what their job is, how they contribute, or what minimum requirements are associated with a specific title/description?
Training. Documentation that says who does what in order for the process to carry forward. No where did an HR document state that I was responsible for developing the Internal Audit Schedule. But the document on scheduling Internal Audits states the Quality Assurance Coordinator performs this task and when and how, etc. My training plan shows that I need to be trained on that document. Once signed off, that indicates that not only do I know that it is my responsibility to do schedule Audits but I also have been trained on how.

CINDY said:
I agree with the matrix, not only for descriptions but for capabilities as well. Without our capability chart we would not know who was qualified to run what machine. This is how ours is set up.
Good idea! We have a similar set-up in a software programme that shows all training each individual has had so that we can help take over for a position/tasks as necessary.

CINDY said:
And, if it is not an ISO requirements, why has ours been viewed for the past three years?
a) Because odds are that was the tool shown when the Auditor asked how responsibilities were communicated to Employees.
b) Auditors, like some Organizations, sometimes forget there is more than one way to address a "shall."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IEC 60601 - Creepage Distance - Relay that acts as a means of physical mechanical protection Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 0
B Can we be ISO 9001 certified without a physical office? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B IEC 60601-2-43 - Clause 203.6.103 - Physical button? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D Certifcate of Free Sale Listing Physical Site from Belgium Competant Authority EU Medical Device Regulations 3
bryan willemot Chemical / physical certificate of conformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ajit Basrur Physical Address on Product Labels (EU MDR perspective) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Configuration Management - Physical Audit and Functional Audit for Software and Hardware General Auditing Discussions 3
B Is a Topical Antiseptic a Physical Mode of Action? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
V Where to get Physical & Chemical Contaminants for for milk, beef, pork, mutton Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
S IEC 60601-1 - Label Physical Requirements for Disposable (Single Use) Medical Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
O Automotive Physical Testing Methods (Norms) and Requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
D Medical Device Class Confimation - Device Aids in Physical Rehabilitation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Hardware (Such as Rivets and Bolts) - Chemical and Physical Test Reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Unbroken Chain to NIST or a Physical Property - Request for Peer Review General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Physical Movement Deterrent for Quarantine of Goods on a Pallet-by-Pallet Basis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
B Property Management and Physical Security Plans Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R How to select appropriate standards for Multi-Functional Physical Therapy Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Airworthiness Review - Aircraft Physical Survey EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Acronym PQA - Physical Quality Assurance - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
C Physical Configuration Audit Overview AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D One Company divided into two but connected by a Physical Pipeline Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
quality1 Traceability by Physical Marking for Cable Assemblies Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Physical vs. Digital Signature Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
D FDA Proposes Rule Reclassifying Some Neurological and Physical Medicine Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
D MDD 2007/ - Essential Requirement Checklist - Physical and Biological Properties EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Recommendation for the physical design of a Cordless Phone? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
I Glass Packaging Material (Jars) - Chemical, Physical and Biological Controls Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Z NAVAIR PCR (Physical Configuration Review) Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Moving from physical signatures to a paperless QMS - Process and approval sign offs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Hershal Internal Audit - The full physical of the system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L How to prepare preclinical physical testing? Medical device license Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
V Letter of Guarantee - EN 12546-3 (Mechanical & Physical testing on an ice pack) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Drug product physical properties stability studies - which properties to test? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
N Auditing Inventory Levels - Computer Count vs. Physical Inventory ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
B Defining Physical Asset Maintenance KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) Benchmarking 6
K Military Program - Physical configuration Audit (PCA) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
C The Physical and Socioeconomic Impact of Lean on Resources and Pollution? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
M DMR, DHR and DHF physical form 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Prohibited metal verification - I am not sure of a PHYSICAL way to verify this Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
D Non-sector specific requirements: Do I need to write a physical procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Survey - Physical traceability of electronic repair parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K Dimensional Lab (CMM Room) vs. Physical Test/Calibration Lab - Same required temp/hum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A 6.4 Work Environment - Human and physical factors of the work environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Regulatory Standards & Certification Requirement - Headband to monitor mental health Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
goetzkluge Incidents at work causing mental ill health - Reporting & Assessment Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
S ISO 14001 for Mental Healthcare Facilities ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
J How to deal with Mental models IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
P Corrective Action for ?Mental Block? - ISO 9001 clause 5.5 Internal Communication Nonconformance and Corrective Action 122
I Considering Mental Condition Related to Ill Health in Risk Assessment Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5