Pin Gage Calibration - Pins seem to be "growing"

S

strange1

I am presently calibrating our sets of pin gages using a Pratt Whitney labmaster. I'm seeing many pin gages that are OOT. this is not a surprise, the odd problem i'm having is they are OOT larger than previous calibration certs. I am comfortable with my uncertainty, and process. The OOT's are not obvious. I.E. one series all large, corrosion.

I am compensating for temperature, and am using a standard which is adequate.

has anyone encountered pin gages which grow?

These are Grade 2 Fowler steel, .501 to .625 pins, Plus.

I'm calibrating to +.0002"

.507 nominal 4/7/2011 as found .50720
same pin 3/15/2013 as found .50727

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Pin gage Calibration

I am presently calibrating our sets of pin gages using a Pratt Whitney labmaster. I'm seeing many pin gages that are OOT. this is not a surprise, the odd problem i'm having is they are OOT larger than previous calibration certs. I am comfortable with my uncertainty, and process. The OOT's are not obvious. I.E. one series all large, corrosion.

How long has this growth been going on? If you have a significant number of pins that have "grown," and the phenomenon is seen only in a single set of two as-found measurements, I think you have a measurement problem, assuming that you've controlled for temperature/RH.

S

silentrunning

Re: Pin gage Calibration

I think Jim is right. I would suspect the measurement more than the pins. I have a personal set of Starrett pin gages (.062" to .250") that is over 25 years old and when I send them out for calibration they have never varied. They are kept oiled and wrapped when not in use. I would look into the repeatability of the labmaster first.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

You probably already checked:

- same master? no change?
- same Labmaster? no change? no repair
- only this pin set?
- rechecked calibration results from last week? last month?

Old thread: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=35058

More reading: http://www.ring-plug-thread-gages.com/ti-gg1-Hardened-Steel-Growth.htm

S

strange1

There are only two sets of cal records for these. One from 1990's and one from a local cal house in 2011.

The pins which are in question (perhaps 5-8 in a set of 144) were marginal when done by the local cal house. I.E. .501 Nominal, recorded as .5012 in 2011. Now on the Labmaster reading .50124. I think the "rounding" is the issue.

I've mastered the Lab Master and did a "confidence" check using a Sylvac S_Mike Pro, 4 1/2 digit resolution. As well as a Mitiuoyo mic. While the resolution isn't there they both confirm the pins are indeed not to spec.

The pins are listed as Grade 2. I believe that is .0002 accuracy from all that I can find. I can't find any records of a lower class pins...giving a beifit of a doubt to the records.

I've done an R&R, as well as calculated the uncertainty of the Labmaster, and can repeat the measurements.

temp 68?, wich 24 soak time. RH is 24%... go figure, Indy in the winter time

Just seems odd....:frust:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
There are only two sets of cal records for these. One from 1990's and one from a local cal house in 2011.

The pins which are in question (perhaps 5-8 in a set of 144) were marginal when done by the local cal house. I.E. .501 Nominal, recorded as .5012 in 2011. Now on the Labmaster reading .50124. I think the "rounding" is the issue.

I've mastered the Lab Master and did a "confidence" check using a Sylvac S_Mike Pro, 4 1/2 digit resolution. As well as a Mitiuoyo mic. While the resolution isn't there they both confirm the pins are indeed not to spec.

The pins are listed as Grade 2. I believe that is .0002 accuracy from all that I can find. I can't find any records of a lower class pins...giving a beifit of a doubt to the records.

I've done an R&R, as well as calculated the uncertainty of the Labmaster, and can repeat the measurements.

temp 68?, wich 24 soak time. RH is 24%... go figure, Indy in the winter time

Just seems odd....:frust:
What you have there are "plus" pins. They're deliberately oversized, so a measurement of .0002" over the nominal size is to be expected. There are also "minus" sized pins. Unless the fifth decimal place is significant in your applications, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

S

strange1

i understand, the errors I'm seeing are .00027, .00028 etc. etc. While not significant, they are still an OOT

K

kgriff

I realize this is a somewhat old post, but I have a possible reason that hasn't been mentioned.

There is another phenomenon that you could be experiencing in which steel does, in fact, grow over time. Depending upon the heat treat/quench process used in the manufacture of the pins, the steel could grow. Heat treating and quenching is designed to stress-relieve the metal, as well as harden. If the heat treat/quench is not done properly, the metal will naturally stress relieve over time. This natural stress relief can result in gage growth.
Based on what I've seen over the years with X class plug gages, I don't think 0.00007 growth over two years would be completely out of the question. I also think that the storage and use conditions of the gages can effect the amount of growth. (Again, this is only if the metal was not properly stress relieved.) I have no empirical evidence to support this theory, but it seemed to be the case in our shop.
We have somewhere around 8,000 X class plug gages and, for the older gages, we have observed growth in probably 10% of them. It seems that newer gages are better stress relieved.

If you want a better/more technical explanation, check with any metallurgist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black Oxide Gage Pin Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Setting up a Zmike for Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C ZZ Pin Gage Tolerances and Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Pin Gage Use vs. Calibration Frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
M Gage pin calibration - Actual calibration readings required on the calibration cert General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Gage pin calibration procedure for accurately calibrating gage pins General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
B Pin Gage Calibration Procedure - ISO 17025:2005 accreditation requirements? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
C Internal Diameter Measurement and Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
L Gage Pin Gauge R&R - Our calibration guy said he doesn't know how to do one Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
N Pin Gage Sets - Calibration costs - Just buy new ones? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Ron Rompen Question on 'Class of Fit' - Gage Pin Clearance Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Using a Pin Gage to check True Position of Inline Holes, Design, Tolerance. Etc Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Checking True Position with Pin Gage Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
A Pin Gage - Gage R&R Studies - One Pin or Entire Set? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Gage pin clearance on close tolerance - Hole size is ?.8746 ? .0001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Q Pin Gage Classifications - Use and tolerancing of Class XXX pin gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Attribute Gage R&R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) on Pin Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
T Pin gage identification in a small CNC/Screw machine job shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Gage Pin Quality - Buying new pin sets cheaper than calibrating our current sets General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Gage Pin Dilemma - Is there an "easier" way to put our gage pins in our system? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
I Can we use pin gauges to measure an accurate Cpk ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
Z Two Payment Identification Number (PIN) for the same order in DFUF website 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M AS9100 Rev D and Pin Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S GRR on ID with set of pin gauges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J PCI PIN compliance and Gap analysis IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
B Can we calibrate a standard pin with a gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Pin Gauge Setup - Measuring the OD of a Catheter Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Hach 5 Pin Connector Pinout Diagram needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Rolling the correct M8 1.25 Pin Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O Clavicle Pin Classification Number: UMDNS Code Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
O ISO Standards For Intramedullary Pin Design History File Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S GR&R for Dowel Pin Holes Using Deltronics Pins Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
D What is the difference between Pin and Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A ID Calipers Accuracy and Pin Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
D Calibration of Pin Gages using a Calibrated Caliper that measures to 4 decimal places General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
N Calibration of Setup Fixtures & Pin Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P How to manage loose Pin Gages without Identification on the machining floor Calibration Frequency (Interval) 19
D Nonadjustable M&TE - 10 year calibration interval? Pin Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 11
G Slip fit - Size on size dilemma for pin and plug gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
V Calibration of Pin Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
H E Coat (Electrocoat) Pin Hole Paint Defects - Help needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
C Pin Gauge Calibration using a Micrometer - Accuracy & Calibration Level Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
L Are you Qualifying your own Gageblocks and Pin Sets? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
J Using Pin Gages as a Measurement Tool for Ppk/Cpk studies Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
J Calibration of Pin Gages - AS9100 Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23