Pistachio Recall a Success?

T

tsmith7858

Interesting that the pistachio recall is being called a success and a demonstration of how the system should work.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/...all-shows-how-FDA-should-work-claim-officials[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I may just be the suspicious type but one has to wonder if the reaction would be the same if the peanut issue was not so fresh in everyone's mind. :notme:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On top of it all, the system did not STOP the issue from happening, it only found it before it spread to far.[/FONT]

There are also many more articles about the recall at FoodHACCP.com including this interview with Kraft explaining their part in the recall:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.foodhaccp.com/1news/040309q.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It seems that there are deep rooted issues with Salmonella over the past couple of years. I have read some articles that feel the strains are more resistant and their are some that believe that we, as a people, do not have as strong of immune systems as in the past.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As a topic of conversation, I am interested in thoughts from the Cove [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does the recall demonstrate a successful system?[/FONT]
When is the right time to find the issue?
In a multi faceted, co-manufacture world Like Setton, GA Nut and Kraft), who is responsible?

And the bonus question, just for fun..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is salmonella getting stronger or are we getting weaker? [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:argue:[/FONT]

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
And the bonus question, just for fun..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is salmonella getting stronger or are we getting weaker? [/FONT]

I don't know much about the whole FDA/food safety thing, so I can't comment on that part of it except to say the obvious: it seems like we need to do a better job of prevention.

As far as drug-resistant bacteria are concerned, I do know a little, and I don't think the human immune system has much to do with it. In October I was in the hospital for some surgery, and a month or so later I found that a small open wound on my knee was getting infected. Long story short, it turned out to be a MRSA (pronounced mursa) infection. "MRSA" stands for "Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus," and it's a strain of the staph bacterium that's become resistant to antibiotics. It's a big problem in hospitals these days.

Bacteria reproduce very rapidly, so mutations in their little genomes are likely to become fixed in a relatively short period of time. You know how when antibiotics are prescribed, doctors and pharmacists are always telling people to take all of the medication even if symptoms subside? That's because some of the bacteria are more resistant (as a result of mutation) to antibiotics than others. The prescribed drug might control the growth of the less-resistant bugs to the extent that symptoms subside, but the ones with greater resistance live on and multiply, creating a whole population of resistant individuals and often a relapse of symptoms.

In a constant struggle in pharmaceuticals to keep up with the rapidly changing population of bacteria. Of course, children and seniors are more susceptible, as are people with compromised immune systems, but I don't think there's much credible evidence at this point that our immunity as a poplulation has changed significantly.

AndyN

Moved On
I guess it is a success since no one was reported as being ill from the contaminated nuts. So by recalling them it's politically better, if not entirely optimal.

One day it will be seen as better to have a FMSS in place........;)

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
I guess it is a success since no one was reported as being ill from the contaminated nuts. So by recalling them it's politically better, if not entirely optimal.

One day it will be seen as better to have a FMSS in place........;)

But, if pistachios (sp? is that pistachios, or pistachioes?) were as popular and abundant as peanuts in our food supply would we be looking at this same "thank god we caught it before someone died" scenario?

T

tsmith7858

But, if pistachios (sp? is that pistachios, or pistachioes?) were as popular and abundant as peanuts in our food supply would we be looking at this same "thank god we caught it before someone died" scenario?

Good point, the current recall list for pistachios (correct sp according to Webster) has not yet reached 300 products. By this point in the peanut recall it was well over 1000.

Less popularity means less incident but the risk is still the same. I had an auditor here Monday that said he was in a store that had not removed pistachios and when he asked about it, they did not appear to be concerned even though the FDA issued a moratorium on ALL pistachios until things were sorted out.

R

Roland Cooke

Well the recent recall of peanuts is still making waves, this story made the front cover of USA Today.

Calling in the US Marshals onto a peanut shipper is pretty heavy stuff (although it seems clear FDA was left with no option).

But I do feel a bit sorry for the NJ company. As far as I know there is no government bailout for this kind of thing, and the original supplier has already gone bankrupt so there will be no recompense from there.

And as for haranguing FDA for beating up on the little guy as a CYA after FDA failed to audit the Georgia plant for seven years...well he has a point. Then again, lives have already been lost so I feel FDA is just doing its job.

As for the impact on the pistachio industry - this incident may well encourager les autres.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I don't know much about the whole FDA/food safety thing, so I can't comment on that part of it except to say the obvious: it seems like we need to do a better job of prevention.
And the answer is? Regulations and enforcement of regulations.

I hope people in the US will get off the idea that regulations are nothing but red tape that gets in the way of doing business, and realize that often it is regulations and the enforcement of compliance to regulations that saves their life and/or the lives of others.

Top Bottom