Pits on Plating of 440 Stainless Steel

M

MantleMickey

Greetings, I have a question I would like to pose to all of
you intelligent people out there.
After turning and processing our 440 material, we plate it.
Before plate, no pits, after plate, some pits.
Any ideas on how to stop this, is it humidity, dipping solution?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Enjoy your day!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dickgent

Involved In Discussions
If this is SS then you can order the steel passivated. This will reveal any imperfections in the surface of the material.

HOWEVER If the plater cleaning baths are too strong (including type and Ph) - OR - he does not succeed in his first attempt at plating the stripping his and re-plating process will remove impurities (all SS has them) continue to attack the material and create the pitting you see.

I would ask for the chemistry analysis of the run (process chemicals; ph check; temp titrate etc.) and compare the "GOOD" run analysis to the "Pitted" run. The plater will tell you it is the material, Check his processes to be sure or split a batch into two suppliers.

Hope this helps with limited information.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Pitting in the base metal is usually due to contamination when the base metal is SS.

The steps I would follow in root cause analysis:

1. assure base metal is smooth and clean - passivating before plating can remove microscopic contaminants which get flushed out in the plating process. (The contaminants come from tool bits used to machine the base metal.) I sometimes had my parts electropolished to provide smooth substrate for plating.
  2. contaminants in the plating bath can cause pitting - some platers are less fastidious than others - this is part of the approval process to really check when doing supplier approval with platers.
  3. Consult third party metallurgist to examine the products, plating, etc. - there are some technical things having to do with electrical hookups, racking, chemistry, etc. which only an expert (or the plater) can discern and check which can cause myriad plating flaws.
Let's hear what the plating is and its function - there may be other options which have less propensity to cause pitting which can deliver same or similar function.

M

MantleMickey

A little more specifics, 440A annealed ground,
after machining, we dip parts in nickel watts bath,
then diamond plate head,
After this process, parts are removed, and we notice
that SOME parts are pitted on the O.D. Very frustrating.
Thanks for your help
MM

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
A little more specifics, 440A annealed ground,
after machining, we dip parts in nickel watts bath,
then diamond plate head,
After this process, parts are removed, and we notice
that SOME parts are pitted on the O.D. Very frustrating.
Thanks for your help
MM
I gather from your phrasing you are doing this plating process in house. If you have control, check the nickel chloride component of the bath - too high a concentration contributes to corrosion, even in SS.

As I said in my earlier post, there may be options to explore which will eliminate this pitting condition entirely and still give you the function you desire from the plating.

A major problem we encountered in electrolytic plating was "dog boning" on sharp edges and tapered features of high precision components. When the protection and appearance of nickel was required, we resorted to electroless nickel plating. We found the uniform deposition and durability to be superior to electrolytic nickel. Even better, in functions where components had moving contact with other parts, we found that a preparation with Teflon would eliminate galling.

Plating is not my business - I counted on research and experts to help me solve problems and make my life easier and more profitable.

In the past, I have found reliable leads to solving problems which I then further explored with experts from the manufacturers of the plating chemicals. One source I recommend is reading and participating in discussion in metalfinishing

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Standards for Measuring Scaling and Pits & Voids in Metal Forging Processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
B CQI-11 (Plating Audit) - New revision updates IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
T Corrosion in Bores after Zinc Plating machined Iron Castings in VCI Bags Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
B API Q1 5.7.1.5 Process Validation - Machining, heat treating, Manganese Phosphate and Zinc Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Plating standards - Where to find information AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
V Plating Spec - Electro plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C AS9102 Form 2 Information - Special Processes - Plating AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
R Outsourced Plating Supplier Responsibilities Service Industry Specific Topics 8
N Control of Metal Plating Baths - Contamination from base metals Service Industry Specific Topics 4
P Connector Tin Plating Peel-off during Soldering Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D AS9100 FAI Form for Plating Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Plating Shop - Forums specifically related to the plating / metal finishing industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Determining if there is Tin Plating on an Aluminum Bar Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
A SPC for Single Batch Nickel Plating Process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
T Calculating Plating/Coating Weight for IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
J Zinc Plating Process NADCAP Certification Guidance please AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
S Galvanize and Chrome Plating Process FMEA wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Developing a new Plating Vendor - What software to track certifications Software Quality Assurance 2
M Is That Plating Wave Washer will reduce its stiffness? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Contact Resistance issue - Gold plating on PCB Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V Interpreting Zinc Plating Specification GMW 3044 - 6K96/48 APQP and PPAP 2
M Copper Potassium Crystals forming on Switch Contact Silver Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Tin Plating Issues - Yellowish Discoloration Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
I IMDS Warning - Chromate Filming of Zinc Plating RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
M Plating - A quick, certifiable way to measure Plating Bath Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V PPAP Requirements including GMW 3179 Zinc Plating Specification Requirements APQP and PPAP 3
V PPAP Requirements for Plating a "Family of Parts" APQP and PPAP 8
P Validation of Plating Process for Medical Devices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
P Metal Tape Plating Process - CQI-11 Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer. APQP and PPAP 1
V Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP them? APQP and PPAP 14
V Plating Supplier PPAP Revalidation Requirements - A-Coat GM 9984132 Plating Process APQP and PPAP 1
C What is your point for the RoHS Control in Plastic Parts with Plating? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Plating and Metal Sheet Process Tour - What to focus on? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Effect of Soldering on Tin Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Special Process Checklists for Plating, Phosphate Coating, Welding and NDT AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
A Seeking CQI-11 (Special Process Plating Assessment) Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L Outsourcing Special Processes such as Plating, Painting, NDT as related to AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
C What is the diff between 150a @ 12v and 150amp @ 6v rectifiers for plating? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Silver Plating (Lots of questions) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
T Tin Plating Issues - Oxidized and Rusty Terminals Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
R ASTM B633 Zinc Plating Specification - Transportation of parts by boat to China Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Calculating the Lead (Pb) ppm from the Plating Layer RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
L Process controls on attribute data - Chrome plating manual buffing line Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
M Dimensions Apply Before or After Plating Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
F Plating Supplier Audit Checklist Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15