SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials

Greetings! I came here to seek help answering a recent problem we ran into in my calibration group. We hired a new guy who put the wrong due date on a piece of temp measurement equipment. Being that he's new I thought I would help him out and put a new sticker on the equipment with his initials and the correct due date figuring the cal cert is where the proper documentation lives along with traceability. More training would ensue. Well he got all bent out of shape, went to the supervisor and screamed "falsification of documentation." I've had inspectors ask me to put calibration stickers on equipment with other peoples initials on it so I thought this would be fine. Their reasoning was that you are only indicating who performed the calibration. The resolution was to indicate on the sticker that you were involved in the calibration like "D.G. for R.M." I still disagree with this since I had nothing to do with the actual calibration. If anyone has some input here I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Stormyfour20,

I can't see what the problem is. If he did the calibration does it matter who wrote the calibration sticker?

Are you in a regulated field that could forbid this type of behaviour? Is that behaviour forbidden in ISO/IEC 17025? Is it against your own work instructions?

Thanks for the quick response folks. Yes we have a calibration data base and electronic certifications which replaced the paper version a few years back. The cal cert obviously indicates the standards used, procedure used and measurements. I'm sorry I don't have an answer to whether we follow/use ISO/IEC 17025. I'd have to run that by my Quality group.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I think the "new guy" overreacted. Seems to me you were correcting an error, not doing something fraudulent. As Johnny said, unless you can find where you violated some procedure or regulation, I see no harm.

Now, many times a company will have a procedure for correcting records that involves something like putting a line through the error data so it is still dechiperable and writing the correct info beside it and initialing and dating it, but most cal stickers are far too small to do that to. Maybe it is something that could be covered procedurally there in case it happens again.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
This is an interesting topic.
Requirements for calibration labels go back to MIL STD 45662A and ANSI Z540-1.
They both state that the label's purpose was to indicate the calibration status of the unit, and also was to include the Date Calibrated, Calibration Due Date, and any limitations on the calibration.
Newer standards like Z540.3 and ISO 17025 have the same general requirements, but don't specifically call for dates.
That's it.
No requirement for identifying who performed the calibration.
If you have an internal requirement for more information, that's up to you.
As for the initials, that indicates who performed the calibration. It is not a signature that you would be tampering with. No fraud if you replace the label. If it was a certificate that was signed, that would be a different story.

Thee Bouyyy

Involved In Discussions
If you have written in your calibration procedure than it's up to you otherwise there is no requirement for identifying the individual who performed the calibration.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Sample record for verification performed by importers before placing a device on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R SaMD - Placing on the Market before DoA EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Additional National requirements for placing MD in the EU countries EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y CE Mark - Placing the CE mark on medical device labels EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N When is "placing on the market"? MDD certified medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 32
J Facilities - Placing our assembly group into a separate building ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D ROHS 2 - Medical Device: Placing vs Making Available on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R RoHS and placing on the market in Non EU countries RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
C Medical Device Marketing vs. Placing Product on the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C What is "Placing on the Market" in EU? Brochures or Install? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
G Placing a dollar value on our QMS (we are looking at IP protection) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Reducing paperwork and placing in Systems electronically - Electronic documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Automated Processing and Placing Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J How can I evaluate a new supplier prior to placing an order? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
A Ownbranding or placing on market without CE mark ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Calibration in real life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3