Plagiarism = Flattery? My website copied...

J

JerryStem

A friend over the weekend pointed out a photography website for a couple in Louisville KY (about 1.5hrs away). They had copied my site almost word for word...

I remember talking to this guy earlier this year at an event I was working. Guess he was taking notes. I had been told someone was "ripping me off" but I thought they just meant the same type of photography & event photography. Couldn't care less about that, expected it 2 years ago. But to find this guy just cut-n-pasting my text, whole pages worth?

Example for weddings:
----------------------------------------------
Mine:
Looking for an affordable alternative to the high priced photographers you've probably seen elsewhere?
Don't want to start your married life off already thousands of dollars in the hole?
Maybe you'd rather spend your hard earned/saved money on other things, but still get great pictures of your wedding day???

Well then...

My wife & myself will sit down with you & put together a package that you can afford, but still get great images. I'll show you some of the packages I've put together for other clients & the proofs from their weddings, the prices they payed, & we'll go from there...

Why spend $100's of dollars on a photographer's package that doesn't even include a print for yourself?? Spend $300 on my plan & get photo's costing $600 or typically more from elsewhere... I have their prices to prove it! (Why spend $35 on an 8x10 when you can have one for $10?)

Check out the prices elsewhere on this site...

I do this more as a love of photography, not just a business. Therefore I can drastically cut costs for you & still make a small profit to make it worth my time. Shop around, please, then give me a call when you've decided! You won't regret it.

His:
* Looking for an affordable alternative to the high priced photographers you’ve probably seen elsewhere?
* Don’t want to start your married life off already thousands of dollars in the hole?
* Maybe you’d rather spend your hard earned/saved money on other things, but still get great pictures of your wedding day???

My wife & myself will sit down with you & put together a package that you can afford, but still get great images. I’ll show you some of the packages I’ve put together & we’ll go from there…

Why spend $100’s of dollars on a photographer’s package that doesn’t even include a print for yourself?? Spend $300 on my plan & get photo’s costing $600 or typically more from elsewhere.

I do this more as a love of photography, not just a business. Therefore I can drastically cut costs for you & still make a small profit to make it worth my time. Shop around, please, then give me a call when you’ve decided! You won’t regret it.

And that's just one page. Actually that's an entire page as well. Same phrases, same prices, same little jokes in paranthesis, EVERYTHING!

I guess my question is do i have right to be :mad: ? I posted this on a big model/photographer site in the forums & had mostly people saying his version looked prettier so get over it...

A few have talked about copyright but I have a feeling it would cost more $ to fight it than I would ever win.

Anyone have thoughts?

Jerry:evidence:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
A friend over the weekend pointed out a photography website for a couple in Louisville KY (about 1.5hrs away). They had copied my site almost word for word...

I remember talking to this guy earlier this year at an event I was working. Guess he was taking notes. I had been told someone was "ripping me off" but I thought they just meant the same type of photography & event photography. Couldn't care less about that, expected it 2 years ago. But to find this guy just cut-n-pasting my text, whole pages worth? ........
My opinion is to take it to court or try and resolve it with the person. Plagiarism is an unacceptable practice. You have every right to be :mad:

Do you think this might cut into your piece of the pie? Can you prove that it was yours?

S

silly girl

Sometimes a cease and desist letter from a lawyer will clear the situation right up. It may be true that you don't actually want to go to court, but fear of legal entanglement is a powerful motivator. Of course, doing this in and of itself will cost you, but it also might solve the problem quickly... a lawyer would better be able to advise you as well.

On a personal note, I too would be angry to see something like this - especially in connection to business.

Silly Girl

M

Murphys Law

Unless they are stealing business from you, I would try to forget about it the legal route. The wording isn't significantly proprietory to the success of your or their business.

Being 1.5 hours travel distance it is unlikely to be direct competitor to you, as photographers tend to be geographic in nature. If he was in the same town as yours and using the same wording, it would be a different matter.

If they'd blatently copied your trademark or selling your photographs off as thier own, that would be a different matter.

Bit of a bummer but I wouldn't go down the legal route unless you want to spend the dollars without a tangible return. So he changes his wording, so what.

All he is doing is copying your product and pricing but being unethical in the website site communication. It is technically plagarism but hurt to you businesswise has not been that great.

Remember the adage : don't get mad get even. If you have the energy, you could directly compete against him by beating him with your products and service instead. Give an incentive to anybody in that area who to switch business to you!! instead of using a lawyer, work with a PR rep to get an article into the local paper that services his area. Newspaper reports are lazy and having a story given to them, helps them fill the quiet days.
It will embarass him and possibly give you new business as people like to be fair. If you don't want to travel there, get a partner in that area.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Sometimes a cease and desist letter from a lawyer will clear the situation right up. It may be true that you don't actually want to go to court, but fear of legal entanglement is a powerful motivator. Of course, doing this in and of itself will cost you, but it also might solve the problem quickly... a lawyer would better be able to advise you as well.

On a personal note, I too would be angry to see something like this - especially in connection to business.

Silly Girl
A cease and desist letter from a lawyer may help, but this is very, very common. Unless they have actually copied the majority of a site, I doubt much, if anything, will happen. It is the way things are on the internet and they have been this way for a number of years.

J

JerryStem

Thanx for the input. He's copied at least 4 pages/topics (portraits, weddings, events, even the "about us" page!). Like >75% of each page is mine. He at least changed his name & email address...:rolleyes:

I'm not too concerned about the competition, 1.5hrs is enough. The only concern is the events. I've been doing events that he would likely try to get for 2-3 years though, my name is out there fairly well. Local people portraits, he can have them.

I laughed when I read thru his site, reading all the words I debated on years ago (it's the oldest site I maintain, first done around 1996 & it shows unfortunately). He even kept the "about us" page like mine ("my wife and I ...").

I didn't think the legal route was that great an idea, too much $ for too little return. I know a little about copyright but if he's not using my photos it's not that big to me.

I just checked, he's actually changed his wording a little after my email. Maybe that was enough, after a few days to think about it.

Jerry
(I liked the news story idea...)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Plagiarism in Elsmar Cove Forum Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
M Plagiarism & Copyright Infringement Discussion Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
N Updating the website of the manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAQG News IAQG has a new website - December 2019 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
A Contraindication Safety Statement in website - Radiotherapy equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Z Two Payment Identification Number (PIN) for the same order in DFUF website 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I 2017/745 (MDR) - Instruction for use (IFU) - manufacturer's website EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M Informational USFDA Ethylene Oxide Sterilization for Medical Devices website Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Publication of user information in manufacturer website for medical devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
E EU MDR GSPR 23.1 information on website CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Ed Panek Website to ask FDA for guidance in Medical Device Industry? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Trouble with Europa website - Internal Server Error (March 2019) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J How to look up Failure Modes on FDA website FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Medical Device News EC – Commission reply to a Petition “For a Compensation Fund for PIP Breast Implants and CE” from the website change.org Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Z Does a website needs to comply with Part 11? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M MDSAP Transition - Health Canada Website Notice on Apr 13 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
C Medical Device Website Change Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W Website change documentation - Labeling and Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Where to Find DEV and DFE numbers on FDA Website Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
R The on-line re-certification option on ASQ's website Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
Marc MDD Harmonized List of Standards Website Moved Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
E Does posting your IFU on your website constitute elabelling? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Can I view listed drug products on FDA website similar to listed medical devices? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
Marc Silent Movie Review Website Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R Does anyone know why the TC 176 website has been hijacked by CSA? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
L New Website from the FDA concerning UDI Exceptions, Alternatives and Time Extensions Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
R Control of company website and social media Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B New website for AIAO-BAR - Unaccredited Accreditation Body ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 33
Ajit Basrur Google detects fake website ID certificate threat After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
V Is there a Website with OEM Requirements APQP and PPAP 7
A Document Version for Website Help/Training 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Sidney Vianna Discover the new ISO.ORG website - September 2012 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
Marc Redesigned ISO Website - June 2012 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Blood Glucose Monitor & its Logbook Website - Do I need to get 510k for the Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Ronen E FDA's enforcement over Website Claims (Medical Device Misbranding) Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
T Can a company's website content be audited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N ISO 9001 Applicable Requirements for a Company Website? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Sidney Vianna The new IAF Website ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
Ajit Basrur Redeveloped TGA (Australia) website Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Richard Regalado Free Download of ISO 27000:2009 from the ISO website IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 5
O Website as a Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
Mr.Happy FMEA Website for Medical Issues FMEA and Control Plans 0
T Apply Job Vacancy directly on company website or via a recruiter? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
H TC 176 Website - Request for an Interpretation Feature ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C How to find the Medical Device Listing Number (MDL Number) from the FDA website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Website Templates After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
F Can a website be considered a Document of External Origin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Colin Great Website Animation Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6