Plan & Procedure to handle a Product that's being Withdrawn from the Market

D

dwayneq

I have searched both here and with Google on this subject but have not found either a good example of an EOL plan or a good write up on what a EOL plan should encompass. We already have a process in place for equipment that individually quits functioning so what I am looking for is the process of going through a decision to quit making a product, conveying the information to the install base and throughout the company, ensuring captive stock to cover outstanding warranties, final disposal of remaining stock after committed warranties have expired, etc..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: Plan for a product that is End of Life (EOL)

We already have a process in place for equipment that individually quits functioning so what I am looking for is the process of going through a decision to quit making a product,
I am a bit mixed up with what you say and what you ask.
Your above statement more fits to the design life time of the product.
EOL is more a decision based on supply chain EOL or design upgrades which are also driven by regulations. Usually EOL will have information of which new product of your's is the best buy. All other supports can be based on the design lifetime of the EOL product from the last manufacturing.

sowmya

Involved - Posts

TL 9000 clearly describes end of life planning
7.1.C.1 Life Cycle Model – The organization shall establish and maintain an integrated set of method(s)
that covers the life cycle of its products. The method(s) shall contain, as appropriate, the processes,
activities, and tasks involved in the concept, definition, development, introduction, production, operation,
maintenance, and disposal of products, spanning the life of the products. [6]
7.1.C.1-NOTE 1 A Life Cycle Model may include consideration and development of alternative solutions evaluated against selected criteria.
7.1.C.1-NOTE 2 The Life Cycle Model should take into consideration sustainability practices such as reduction of energy and resource consumption, ecologically-responsible disposal and proper end-of-life treatment.
7.1.C.1-NOTE 3 The new product introduction methods should include provisions for such programs as quality and reliability prediction studies, pilot production, demand and capacity studies, sales and service personnel training, customer documentation and training, and new product post-introduction evaluations.

basically you need to cover the stock disposition, documentation, and you need to plan how you are going to continually support till the end of life of the product. Also be careful about counterfeiting when you are using end of life parts.

D

dwayneq

To help everyone understand better what I am working on, I am not defining how to handle the physical end of life of product out in the field. A better term for what I am trying to define a process for might be decommissioning a product due to changes in the marketplace and replacement with a better product. I'm looking help in defining of what internal and external processes need to take place to ensure the existing install base is supported though out their remaining warranty period, communication to customers that the product will no longer be available for sale after a certain date, and finally, how to handle inventory disposition at the appropriate time.

BTW - The product is class II.

Last edited by a moderator:

sowmya

Involved - Posts

So, you are looking for quality system procedure. It is nothing but, how you want to define your process. you need to map how the process interaction has to happen, check and balances of the process and desired outcome of the process. we are CM, so we do not look in to direct communication to end customers. how ever, I have attached our End of life planning procedure. you can also create similar one considering all your processes.

Attachments

• TLQMS-QSP-10 End of Life Planning.docx
    33.1 KB · Views: 209

harry

Trusted Information Resource
.............. A better term for what I am trying to define a process for might be decommissioning a product due to changes in the marketplace and replacement with a better product. I'm looking help in defining of what internal and external processes need to take place to ensure the existing install base is supported though out their remaining warranty period, communication to customers that the product will no longer be available for sale after a certain date, and finally, how to handle inventory disposition at the appropriate time.

BTW - The product is class II.

Does the amended thread title reflect your queries better?

D

dwayneq

Harry, Yes and thank you for helping to clarify. Since I posted I have been able to put together the skeleton and am now starting to work on adding substance. Below is the basic outlines to which I will add the specifics as required.

Product End of Life Steps

1) Initiate ? Initiator provides the following to EOL team members which will start the process
a. Identify product
b. Reason for initiating EOL
c. Replacement product or rationale
d. Proposed EOL announcement timeframe
2) Input ? EOL team members provide feedback
a. Transition plan to replacement product ? Product Manager
b. Warranty and repair impact ? Customer Service
c. Supplier commitments ? Operations
d. Financial impact ? Finance
e. Regulatory notifications ? Regulatory
f. Documentation ? Quality
3) Planning ? Initiator uses input create EOL plan
4) Approval ? Route plan for approval for cross functional approval
5) Announcement ? Official EOL announcement to customers and sales
6) Final build ? Build final inventory and repair parts
7) End Sales ? Official end of sales
8) End support ? No outstanding warranties and no further acceptance of repairs
9) Stock disposal ? Clear stock and write off

I will now be contacting the various departments to find out what input they will be looking for from other departments in order to provide input from their department for the EOL plan.

Top Bottom