Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM.

Marco Bernardi

Mark_Navigator
Dear all,

about planes measurements, usually is used the best-fit algorithm to consider the plane constructed, but especially for coupling functions, the plane that have to be considered is the figure created with the 3 points higher founds and not on the same side and too closed, so, how can be calculated such type of plane?
Is there a method, already normed maybe, to construct that such of plane?

Marco Bernardi

Mark_Navigator
Is it normed? Is the method how to get it described somewhere?
Is that algorithm normally diffused on 3D measurement software?

Marco Bernardi

Mark_Navigator
Is it normed? Is the method how to get it described somewhere?
Is that algorithm normally diffused on 3D measurement software?
Proud can you help to go on with the issue? Or someone else?
Thank you, I need to give information to my Renishaw CMM service, with Modus software it seems to be not implemented, so only approximated plane or max and min. point to point calculation can be made, unfortunately.

Marco Bernardi

Mark_Navigator
Please, can someone help to clarify how is the outer tangent plane calculation method?
How can be implemented as DMIS programming code to get it, if the CMM software in use has not the function to calculate at his own it?
It would be very appreciated for an help from someone, I'm not able to find anything in Google about it.
Thank you for the support.

cristiano

Starting to get Involved
Hi Marco,

this is described in ISO 5459:2011 (worldwideweb .(dot) iso.org/standard/40358.html). After fitting plane with Chebyshev algorithm, you move outwards material for the amount of half form error.

Do you have a specific callout on a drawing to discuss?

Marco Bernardi

Mark_Navigator
Hi Marco,

this is described in ISO 5459:2011 (worldwideweb .(dot) iso.org/standard/40358.html). After fitting plane with Chebyshev algorithm, you move outwards material for the amount of half form error.

Do you have a specific callout on a drawing to discuss?

Wow, thank you so much Cristiano, this is the information I wanted to get for a long time!
About the drawing requests, no I haven't, because the drawings from R&D of my Company are still missing the latest GD&T descriptors, related to the ISO 14405-1.
However, the distances quoted in the drawing, if related to particular requirements like the one I'm on about ATEX certification of a specific product group, need strict quality rules, to avoid portion surfaces out of specs.
However, in general for distances, highness measurements, the outer plane is always the real situation we need to evaluate the plane, coupling something there, only the outer plane is the real end coupling surface that the other part finds.
Isn't it?
The formula to get it then, could be schematically represented by: Chebyshev plane + 1/2 flatness error?

Last edited:
Top Bottom