Planning of Realization Processes - Setting Quality Objectives - ISO 9001

A

Andy Bassett

In planning the processes for realization of the product the organization shall determine the following as appropiate;
A) quality objectives for the product, project or contract.'

Would i be right in thinking that in a prototype/project environment, as opposed to mass production, it is very difficult to set quality objectives?.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

AJPaton

Andy,

I wouldn't think so, of course, our prototypes end up getting shipped to our customer anyway.

But our engineering staff wants the material built to their drawings/designs. One quality objective.

Our customers want the designs created to meet their specifications. Another quality objective.

And not only that, but everything is supposed to be at the correct rev level. I know that corrections go out to the floor, from the customer, etc. So you still have quality objectives. The specifics just change from project/design to project/design.

Just my experience.

AJP

A

Andy Bassett

Thanks for the reply AJPaton.

I sort of took building a product to the specification required and using the materials defined as a standard requirement, not really a quality objective.

Do you have any other thoughts what could be a quality objective in this environment?

Regards

------------------
Andy B

A

Al the Elf

Andy

A possible example : Your contract/specification may require delivery in 12 weeks, however your objective is to deliver it in 10 weeks, as this will generate a higher satisfaction for your customer.

In our case we are actively trying to get our customers to tell us relatively what is more important - speed/cost/flexibility/responsiveness. We find this very difficult to embody in a contract, as defined customer requirements, as by there nature they are difficult to make tangible in the way that the dimensional specifications of a prototype would be. However getting the right balance of the above, can be clearly indicated as a Quality objective and if we get a clear steer from our customers, the measurement of performance on this objective should be inexorably linked to customer satisfaction.

Our other quality objectives stem from management policy - e.g. policy is to be more profitable, objective for prototype is to deliver it with 25% less labour.

Hope these thoughts help....

Cheers, Al.

A

Alan Cotterell

It's been my experience that a large number of problems seem to come from an inability to identify a prototype. In one factory in which I worked, we made twelve trailers as a prototype batch, every one was different. In another company it was declared 'we are not in the business of making prototypes', yet every item was 'custom built'.
I suggest we should 'make our mistakes' on prototypes, not on 'production' items.

H

HFowler

Quality Plans

Are Quality Plans a requirement of clause 7.1 of ISO 9001:2000?

I have a copy of Advanced Product Quality Planning and Control Plan (APQP) from AIAG, but it is more than I am looking for.

I am trying to get my hands on a copy of ISO 10005 "Guidelines for Quality Plans". Can anyone help?

Best Regards,
Hank Fowler

Last edited by a moderator:
N

noboxwine

Quality Plan

Hey Hank !

7.1 does not require a Quality Plan, but, does only referecne it in NOTE 1----that you may refer your documented planning process as a Quality Plan.

Whatever you wanna call it, a consistent, documetned format used for this process is certainly value added and required---- but you cannot be audited to a "Quality Plan".

P.S.--SORRY ! ISO 10005 must be the ONLY guideline I don't have. Good luck sir ! :bigwave:

H

HFowler

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware that the Standard was available for purchase, but I was hoping that someone could offer their knowledge of this document and the benefit of it. I could not even find a preview of it on the web.

Regretably, yesterday I paid for a download of ISO 10005 Standard "Guidelines for Quality Plans". It contained little more than a repeat of the ISO 9001:1994 Standard.

If anyone knows of a document that would provide some guidance toward "7.1 Planning of Product Realization" and "7.2 Customer Related Processes" I would appreciate a lead. They seem to be a combined process in our organization. I am specifically interested in a Product Quality Planning Summary and Sign-off Checklist. I have the one in the APQP Manual from AIAG, but it doesn't address the requirements as stated in ISO 9001:2000. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Hank Fowler

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Interpretation of Clause 7.1 Planning Of Product Realization in AS9100C standard AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S 7.1 Planning of Product Realization vs. 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
H Planning of Product Realization - AS9100 Clause 7.1 - Can we exclude 7.1f? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Procedure doesn't define the process - 7.1 Planning of Product Realization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
Sidney Vianna AS9120 - Should planning of product realization be excluded? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
H Planning of Product Realization (Quality Plans) - Clause 7.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Planning of Product Realization - Risk Management - ISO 13485 Clause 7.1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Planning of product realization EN 9100 Clause 7.1 e AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
D Planning for Product Realization example form, template or checklist Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R TS 16949 - 5.4 Planning, 7.1 Planning of product realization, 7.5.1.1 Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
L How to understand the clause 6 Planning of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Richard Regalado Top 10 operational risks of 2019 for business continuity planning Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
E Resources for Planning for top quality Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015 - I need a format for Design & Development planning ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Master Dot for quality planning/improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Tying the need for Demand Planning to a section of AS9100/9110 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
W Core Process Metrics AS9100D for Product Planning? Quotes and sales? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
K Capturing local government development/planning activities in aspect register ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S ISO9001:2015 6.3 - Planning of Changes - OFI from auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Pmarszal ISO 19011:2018 - Risk Based Approach for planning, conducting and reporting of internal audits Internal Auditing 8
R ISO 9001:2015 6.2 - Planning Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
qualprod ISO planning annual meeting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Where to keep Enterprise Resource Planning software (ERP) Validation Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S We are planning to sell a Medical Device Group Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
C AS9100D, Clause 8.1 - Operational Planning and Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 6.3 Planning Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Sidney Vianna FAA and DCMA to leverage OASIS data to assist in planning risk-based oversight audits Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
D IATF 16949 Design and Development Planning IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E High level structure - Planning and operation control Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
S ISO 13485 Cl. 5.4.2 - Is Documented Quality Planning required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sidney Vianna SCMH Awareness Webinar Focused on the revised Advanced Product Quality Planning APQP AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
L Documentation Planning - IEC 62304 Clause 5.1.8 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Is Strategic Planning audited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M IATF Tool for Leadership and Planning - 2017 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
T FDA Design and Development Planning Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Understanding a few points on ISO 9001's Design and Development Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M IATF 16949 - 7.1.3.1 Plant, Facility, and Equipment Planning - Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Planning to appear for CQIA Examination - Tips and Suggestions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
S What do I have to do for ISO 9001:2015 Clause 6.2 - Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Integrated Phased Processes - AS9100D cl. 8.1 Operational Planning - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8