Plant Relocation - Is it necessary to perform FAI?

G

GRISHAG

We are going to relocate our production facility to new site which is located 6 km from existing one.
There will be no change in production equipment (which consists of equipment for sheet metal heat treatment and bending, punching and painting), methods, processes, materials (Aluminum and Titanium), manpower, measurement, etc.
Therefore, we don’t expect that relocation will affect conforming of our products to customer spec.
Please let me know, if in above mentioned situation we are obligated to perform FAI according to AS9102?
If the answer is “yes”, what are the criteria for choosing parts for FAI?
Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulJSmith

Re: Plant relocation- is it necessary to perform FAI?

I believe Michael is correct. If you move the equipment, you'll need to re-verify any parts made on it.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
We are going to relocate our production facility to new site which is located 6 km from existing one.
There will be no change in production equipment (which consists of equipment for sheet metal heat treatment and bending, punching and painting), methods, processes, materials (Aluminum and Titanium), manpower, measurement, etc.
Therefore, we don’t expect that relocation will affect conforming of our products to customer spec.
Please let me know, if in above mentioned situation we are obligated to perform FAI according to AS9102?
If the answer is “yes”, what are the criteria for choosing parts for FAI?
Thank you.
As already mentioned, it's plainly stated in AS9102 that it's required.

Choosing parts? That's simple, it's the first-off of any part you make at the new location. Moving location is a big deal and lots of work.

Michael_M

As already mentioned, it's plainly stated in AS9102 that it's required.

Choosing parts? That's simple, it's the first-off of any part you make at the new location. Moving location is a big deal and lots of work.
I know this is what Mikishots meant, but I am going to add:

It is the requirement for customers who require FAIR's to the AS9102 standard.

Project Man

Involved In Discussions
I highly recommend installation qualification/operation qualification/process qualification. That's basically recording that the machines were installed correctly (IQ), everything operates as expected (OQ) and it can produce good parts (PQ). The last one would include FAIR and a capability analysis. When we moved our equipment we checked Ppk of the last 30pcs before moving the machine and then checked the Ppk of the first 30pcs after moving the machines.
It sounds like a lot but when you think about it it's probably just documenting what you're guys are already doing.

Q

qualitypirate

Not only is this part of AS9102, but I have also seen language in POs and Customer/Supplier Quality Requirements spelling out the need for an FAI if anything at all in the manufacturing process changes.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
This is not as much of a slam-dunk "yes" as you might think.....I know, I got burned on it once.

If I were your customer I would definitely want you to do a new FAI for your plant move.

But.....IAQG (and some suppliers) interprets this AS9102 requirement so that it is not so open and shut, which is why I think some customers add their own special text regarding FAI requirements.

From the IAQG website:

B3. Question:
If Manufacturing is moved from one location/facility to another, is a new FAI required?

B3. Response:
9102 - 5.3.2 states: A change in manufacturing source(s), process(es), inspection method(s), location of manufacture, tooling or materials, that can potentially affect fit, form or function. The key wording is "potentially affect fit, form or function". If you have good rationale supporting a position that the change doesn't "potentially affect fit, form or function" (and you can convince your customer) an updated FAI is not required. The move distance isn't a factor. Record the reason for Partial FAI on field No.14 of Form 1.

B4. Question:
In 5.3, there are conditions that require a new or partial FAI when a change occurs "that can potentially affect fit, form or function". How is this assessed?

B4. Response:
The only people able to evaluate these changes for "fit, form or function" are those knowing the product, the processes, the environment and knowing which problems occurred in the past (lessons learned). These people belong to the producer ("the organization" in 9100). You may also be influenced by your customer. Standards provide requirements but cannot provide methods for meeting the requirements. The organization should have a process to determine who is responsible for addressing events requiring an updated FAI.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Therefore, we don?t expect that relocation will affect conforming of our products to customer spec.
If the answer is ?yes?, what are the criteria for choosing parts for FAI?
Thank you.
First thing you need to do is to contact your customers and find out their requirements.

If they invoke AS9102 turn around and propose a Gage R & R (Gage repeatability and reproducibility) on the equipment in the new facility.

or

Ask them if they would accept a "Delta" (partial) F.A.I.R. on key or critical characteristics as per agreement.

or

Ask them if they would accept "Family" (identical dimensions) inspections. Meaning, if I have 20 parts that have the same outside diameter but different feature the you only have to do a partial inspection on one affected parts and accept the others based on the fact that the same dimension will perform the same tasks.

Finally

If you want to go to town the read:

http://www.iaqg.org/scmh - chapter 7.1 Work Transfer Management.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Is recertification needed for our plant relocation ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D Would relocation to a bigger plant affect our TS 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
G Audit finding - Components being transferred inter-plant Internal Auditing 3
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Creating a Plant Level Value Stream Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
C Electrical Power Plant Supply failure in PFMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 10
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
R DCMA QAR Service Issue - Resident Inspectors absent from the plant AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Timing to certify new plant to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C ISO 9001:2015 - Non Applicable Design and Development (Power Plant Operator) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Plant within a Plant - Does anyone currently manage their facility this way? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M IATF 16949 - 7.1.3.1 Plant, Facility, and Equipment Planning - Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Internal PPM's in a medium sized metal stamping plant Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
x-files [Thermal Power plant KOSTOLAC, SERBIA] Sucessfully certified to ISO 50001 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
R Is Plant Wide ISO 9001 Training Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Quality Slogans for the Plant Floor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
D Can the Plant Manager be our ISO Representative and an Internal Auditor? Internal Auditing 26
M Implementing ISO 9001 in an Assembly Plant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Internal Audits of QMS Corporate Basics at the Local Plant Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E Identification of Nonconforming Products in a Coil and Strip Steel Plant Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B FMEA example for Cokemaking Process at a integrated Iron and Steelmaking Plant IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C "Sister Plant" Supplier Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Is ISO 29001 applicable to Coal Fired Power Plant Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Mining Operation Sand Plant - Required Standards and Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
x-files Global Timeline Plan of IMS/QMS Activities for a Thermal Power Plant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Defining CCP (Critical Control Points) in a Rice Mill Plant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
T APQP and PPAP in an AS9100 plant APQP and PPAP 2
P How to streamline different documents in a multi plant ISO13485 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
AnaMariaVR2 Gilead plant joins the FDA's "warning club" US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur J&J's licence for cosmetics at Mulund plant (Mumbai, India) cancelled Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Quality issues in a manufacturing plant - High-pressured solvent spray cans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q ISO 13485 Certification for a Fabrication Plant ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Fire in recently SA-8000 certified textile Plant in Pakistan kills 300 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 15
S Sanitation Procedure(s) for a Sugar Processing Plant wanted Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
T Requirement for each Company Plant to be AS9100 Registered? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
AnaMariaVR2 FDA hits China Plant - OTC DRUG Nationwide Recall US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
P How to get FDA Approval of an API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients) Plant in India US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
R One QMS & Two Plants - Can there be 2 Management Representatives, 1 for each plant? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S Quality Objectives for Aerospace Chemical Conversion & other Surface Treatment Plant AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T AS9100 - Upgrade to Rev C - Design & Manufacturing Plant AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
L Validation Plan Requirements when moving to a new Plant - Medical Device Industry Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 19
L ISO 9001 Registration of 1 Plant in a Company - Exclusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Is it a nonconformity if an auditor saw ant trails on wall inside the plant? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 22
T Plant Start-Up - Planning and Implementing Quality Systems for a New Facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Integration of Supplier Quality Assurance within Plant Engineering Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
S Natural Gas Power Plant - Aspects & Impacts Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
R Risk Assessment for New Automotive Parts Manufacturing Plant Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
I What should be the Quality Inspection regime for a new plant? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q Correction Action as Preventive Action at another Plant? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10