Plastic Injection Moulder - Design exemption from AS9100

fraktion

Involved In Discussions
Hello all.

I'm the QM for a plastic injection moulder. We've had our certification for 14 years now. For all of these 14 years, we've had an exemption from the design clause. We manufacture tooling for some customers that then produces parts to a drawing the customer has designed. Hence being exempt.

Recently, we had an audit where a fresh faced youngster, with all of 3 AS9100 audits under his belt, got into a heated discussion with my MD as in his eyes, we should have the design clause within our scope. the thinking behind this was due to the fact we design / manufacture the tooling to make the customers parts, we are technically designing a product. The product being the tool.

My question is. Is he right? 14 years of multiple audits from the same company and customer audits, nobody has suggested we should have design as part of our scope. The MD does not want design as part of our scope. Do we have to have design as part of our scope?

Thank you for your help :D

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Design exemption from AS9100

You say "We manufacture tooling...". Do you perform this process using documents or drawings provided by your customer?

If the answer is yes, then you are correct. Design shouldn't be in your scope.

If you are developing the drawings and documentation to fabricate this tooling, I would say you would fall under the design scope.

fraktion

Involved In Discussions

The correct answer is no. More often than not, it is completely down to us to make the tool that produces a part that is designed by the customer. We choose where to put hot runner systems, feed points etc. We create the tool that makes the part the customer wants.

The boss is adamant that we merely 'manufacture tooling' and as we had no part to play in the design of the finished resulting product, by that reasoning design doesn't apply to us.

Like I said, 14 years without the design clause. Now we're being told we need it. The MD is dragging his heels as he "doesn't want any more bureaucracy"...

Is it compulsory?

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource

Is the design of the tooling a requirement to your manufacturing? Could the making of the tooling be classified as a 'core process'?

fraktion

Involved In Discussions

I don't know what you mean by a requirement to our manufacturing?

Our Tooling process is indeed one of our core processes...

fraktion

Involved In Discussions

I can see both sides.

On one side, the MD is saying "we manufacture the tooling that makes a finished part that the customer has designed"

On the other side, the auditor is saying "You design the tool, therefore you must have design in your scope"

Is it simply a case of knowing exactly what the customer has ordered and what do they expect from us? If they ask us to create a tool for them to make a part they designed, place an order for the tool but no parts, then we have technically designed the tool.

If they place an order for a tool with an accompanying production run for 50,000 parts from that tool, then still from what I see, we've designed a tool that makes a part the customer has designed.

So does AS9100 design clause apply purely to 'finished product' whether that product is a plastic widget or the tool that makes the plastic widget?

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions

Here is my frame of reference when I gave you my opinion:

Disregard what your tooling will eventually be used for. In this case it is to manufacture the "end use" component. The tooling could just as well be fabricated and used by sitting on somebody's desk as a paperweight.

From what I am reading, what you are contracted with your customer to provide is the tooling. Is that tooling being fabricated to drawings or other documents supplied to you by your customer or some other outside source? The answer sounds like - "no". It sounds more like your are designing the tooling to your customer's specifications.

Again, this is my opinion and I would be interested as to what other Covers say here.

As far as the 14 year history of this never being identified, I too am finding tightened examination by outside auditing sources. This could be good or bad depending on what side of the fence you are on.

I

Irvingstark

We went round and round with our registrar with this issue as well. We don't control customer drawings. These drawings are what we are going to produce end product. The drawings for tooling are a means to accomplish the process of producing the part, not for designing the end product. It is then appropriate to exclude the design element of ISO.

It speaks to a basic misunderstanding of manufacturing process to some registrars.

fraktion

Involved In Discussions
We went round and round with our registrar with this issue as well. We don't control customer drawings. These drawings are what we are going to produce end product. The drawings for tooling are a means to accomplish the process of producing the part, not for designing the end product. It is then appropriate to exclude the design element of ISO.

It speaks to a basic misunderstanding of manufacturing process to some registrars.
This is where the confusion lies.

The auditor is seeing the end product as the tooling created. So if a customer just orders some tooling, does that not in itself mean that the 'end product' is actually the tooling? Therefore, we have designed the 'end product' (the tool)?

Even though said tool goes on to make the actual product...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Plastic Injection Molding Process Troubleshooting Guide Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
A Plastic Injection Molding - Post Mold Labeling Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Cosmetic Inspection of Plastic Injection Molded Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J SPC for Plastic Injection Molded parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
A Determining Critical Tests for my Injection Plastic Molding Supplier Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
somashekar How to technically describe a Plastic Injection Moulding Tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Multi Cavity Plastic Injection Mould SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B SPC on Weight of Plastic Injection Molded Parts - What variables affect my process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Molding Release for Medical Plastic Injection Molded Parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
H How to integrate ISO/TS 16949 & ISO9001 Quality Systems - Plastic Injection Mold IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Plastic Injection Tooling - Understanding Plastic Injection Molding Terms Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Raw Material Handling & Mixing in Plastic Injection Moulding Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
F Making a REACH statement - Plastic Injection Moulding RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
S Machine Capability (Cm) for Plastic Injection Molding Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D Plastic Injection Molding: ISO9001 or ISO13485? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
E Quality Manual needed (Plastic Injection Moulding) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
B PPAP for Class "A" Injection Molded Plastic Parts needed APQP and PPAP 5
triathlonx13 Plastic Injection Molding Specification (Purchasing, Qualifying, validation) examples Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Q Validation Guidance - Plastic Injection Molding Process Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 39
T Value of Regression Analysis in a plastic injection molding atmosphere Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Injection moulding supplier control and data - Plastic head band Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
R Shelf life of injection molded plastic components Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
W Automotive Lot Traceability - Plastic injection molded part sub-components Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
O Sample RoHS Compliance Procedure for plastic injection molding needed RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P FMEA and Control Plan for Plastic Injection Moulding/Painting Process FMEA and Control Plans 13
M How to define Dimensional Tolerances for Plastic Injection Molded Parts Service Industry Specific Topics 11
P Short Molding Issue - Plastic Injection Molding from a Multi Cavity Mold Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
K Costing work sheet for Plastic Injection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Draft Angles (aka Draft Allowance) - Plastic Injection Molded Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
R Shelf Life for Injection Molded Plastic Parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
S What is the shelf life of injection molded plastic parts? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
H Upgrading ISO 9001 to TS 16949 - Plastic injection molding company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S Color Management - Confirming Color for Injection Molded Plastic Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Plastic Injection Molding Mold Change - PPAP Process Question APQP and PPAP 8
M How do I Calculate a Weight Tolerance? Plastic Injection Moulding Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
N Machine tonnage required for plastic injection moulding process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P DOE sample on plastic injection moulding process needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Validation of Processes - Plastic Injection Moulding - ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
CarolX Plastic Injection Moulding Set-up sheet template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P UL 746 D - Polymeric Materials - Fabricated Parts - Plastic Injection Moulding Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
K Process FMEA (PFMEA) For Plastic Injection Molding - Seeking Example FMEA and Control Plans 17
V Six Sigma Project on Reducing Plastic Injection Molding Rejects Six Sigma 10
S What to manage after Plastic Injection Molding - Plastic Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
G Plastic Injection Molding - Medical Devices - How to Clean Parts Please Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
H Benchmarks for Plastic Injection Molding - Let's Share! Benchmarking 18
M Plastic Injection Molding Process FMEA - Not sure how to start FMEA and Control Plans 14
K Plastic mold injection manufacturing - Quality Manual examples please Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7