Please Critique My ISO 9001 Internal Process Audit Plan

J

jsanjo

Hi All
I am working in a small (200 people) design services company and we plan to go for certification next year.
We have defined procedures, and now we are asking engineers and their leads to follow that.
To giude implementation and review the progress of ISO implementation, we are conducting informal audit sessions.
Please guide me with approaches and checklists, and other tools that can help me do this first review efficiently. Also, pls advice how we can make them adopt new Quality Management System with more zeal.
Thanks in advance,
Sanjo

J

jsanjo

help for implementing ISO in design services co.

Hi All
I am working in a small (200 people) design services company and we plan to go for certification next year.
We have defined procedures, and now we are asking engineers and their leads to follow that.
To giude implementation and review the progress of ISO implementation, we are conducting informal audit sessions.
Please guide me with approaches and checklists, and other tools that can help me do this first review efficiently. Also, pls advice how we can make them adopt new Quality Management System with more zeal.
Thanks in advance,
Sanjo :)

A

airzilla - 2011

A request...

Cari Spears said:
Yes - here it is, I had to do a little revising. I used to distribute and post memos for each meeting. Now I plan to distribute this once and be done with it. Also attached is my audit schedule for 2002-2003, my current one lists processes and documents to be audited, but it is kinda scribbly and done by hand right now. I'll post when I'm done.

Any chance of getting a copy of your "Engineering Drawing Control procedure TCP.05.02? Thanks! It would be mucho helpful...:bigwave:

AndyN

Moved On
On the money.........

Greg B said:
Sorry All, but I don't use an Audit Plan with so much detail and I don't audit against the standard. I tend to leave deliberate audits against the standard to the registrar (that's what they are paid for).
I audit MY process' not the standards process' eg: Mining: What are the Inputs, Outputs and Controls. Do we mine it the way we say we do in the Procedures and Work Instructions? How do we control our Documents and Records? How do maintain control and Traceability of our product and NCs? How have they rectified old NCs and CAPAs? The mine has many procesess but I don't list them all. I just state that I am going to Audit the Mine or One of the production Streams.

So my audit plan is usually planned around our Quarterly Quality Management meetings where we work out our risk areas, Non Conformances, CAPAs and so on to decide what areas require auditing etc. I then draw up a list of the areas to be audited, the date of audit and audit number (I only do 24 audits maximum a year) and they last about one or two days total. At the next Meeting we work out a new plan. I never have to look at the standard and work out if I have asked enough questions about 8.5.1 or 4.2.2 etc It's a lot less stressful. I have had Processes that have not been internally audited in five years as they have never had a problem and passed all annual 3rd party audits. I'd like to eventually get to Randy Stewarts stage of NO AUDITS.

Greg B

WOW Greg, that is so on the money, as far as my ideas go. I see too many organizations scheduling audits based on some detailed calendar of things that only one person comes up with - and leaves the management team out in the cold. As a result, the internal auditors end up asking questions (especially ISO questions) which management have no (real) idea how to answer and are generally not focused on the issues they are having with the process!
In the example first given, what consideration is given to the 'status and importance' (there's another thread about this somewhere) of the process? AKA 'risk' and 'impact'????

Andy

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Greg B said:
Sorry All, but I don't use an Audit Plan with so much detail and I don't audit against the standard. I tend to leave deliberate audits against the standard to the registrar (that's what they are paid for).
I audit MY process' not the standards process' eg: Mining: What are the Inputs, Outputs and Controls. Do we mine it the way we say we do in the Procedures and Work Instructions? How do we control our Documents and Records? How do maintain control and Traceability of our product and NCs? How have they rectified old NCs and CAPAs? The mine has many procesess but I don't list them all. I just state that I am going to Audit the Mine or One of the production Streams. Greg B

Congrats, that is pretty much how it is supposed to be done. You are auditing your processes. The registrar auditors are required to do that also, not audit to the standard. I do trust that over time, you are indeed auditing all of your processes...that was the only part I was not clear on from your post.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
airzilla said:
Any chance of getting a copy of your "Engineering Drawing Control procedure TCP.05.02? Thanks! It would be mucho helpful...:bigwave:
No problemo.:D I've also attached a couple of forms I thought you might like to see. The engineering guide is for while we are processing the new job so the engineers know what components need drawings. The very bottom is where I determine the amount of processing time as a percentage of our lead time - one of our efficiency measurables. If you have any specific questions, I'll split off this thread into a new one for you in the documents forum.:bigwave:

Attachments

• Engineering Drawing Control.doc
    46 KB · Views: 739
  • Engineering Guide Form.doc
    79 KB · Views: 557
  • Engineering Drawing Change Request.doc
    57 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
M

michelle8075

Greg B's Post is pretty right on, as told to me by our auditor. I once lived in the world of element based auditing too with QS 9000, it was difficult for me at first to grasp the new idea of auditing per the process approach.

Our auditor suggested that we only do an internal audit when we receive negative customer feedback, or focus on internal performance issues where our company is not meeting our goals. Internal auditing should be used to reduce costs, improve quality of outputs for a process.

I had a little trouble at first with grasping the idea that I may only have 1 intrenal audit per year or may have 200 in one year. It will vary. But, I am liking it much better!

AndyN

Moved On
Further more..........

there are other times when an audit might be required too, not just when something goes wrong. Another aspect you might want to consider is when there's something new or changed in the QMS. Quality Planning is supposed to look after the way the QMS is used to control changes/new items of significance (new product intros, new customers/requirements/new process/new organization/people etc.) All this can lead to the QMS becomeing obsolescent, so an audit might be in order to 'head off' any issues and give management some 'validation' that the situation is under control!
Just a thought - sounds like your 3rd party auditor might have actually done you a favor! (even if it was only part of the story!!)

Andy

A

airzilla - 2011

Engineering drawing documents...

Cari Spears said:
No problemo.:D I've also attached a couple of forms I thought you might like to see. The engineering guide is for while we are processing the new job so the engineers know what components need drawings. The very bottom is where I determine the amount of processing time as a percentage of our lead time - one of our efficiency measurables. If you have any specific questions, I'll split off this thread into a new one for you in the documents forum.:bigwave:

Mucho Gracias! good stuff...HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause:

Top Bottom