Please Critique My ISO 9001 Internal Process Audit Plan

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Cari Spears said:
Danada(?) Happy Holidays to you too.:bigwave:

I thought for a second that you had misspelled "Canada.":lol: I think "de nada" (it's nothing) is what you were looking for.:D

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you, Jim. I always thought it was one word meaning you're welcome - I've learned my something new for the day.:D

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
michelle8075 said:
Our auditor suggested that we only do an internal audit when we receive negative customer feedback, or focus on internal performance issues where our company is not meeting our goals.

WHOA!!! You might want to go back and check that with the auditor, and check the standard as well. That approach would not comply with ANY ISO based standard, especially TS.

You have to audit all the processes in your QMS or EMS. The auditing of customer problems etc, is over and above the regular, process based internal audits. It is mentioned when deciding how to weight you time and schedule, but you cannot exclude the regular stuff.

S

S. Thompson

Our auditor thinks we are performing too many audits:mg:
What do you guys think?:confused:

Attachments

• AUS.2.1205 Process Audit Schedule.doc
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,452

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
S. Thompson said:

It does look excessive (although it's not evident what the shaded/not shaded designations mean). Frequency of audits should be driven by audit results, and the importance of dealing with audit results in a timely manner. It's a question only you can answer: what would happen if audits were less frequent (good or bad)?

Last edited:
D

dbzman

Audits for Audits Sake....

Only you can say whether you have scheduled too many audits.

1. Can your resources handle this amount?
2. Do previous audits reflect the need for this amount?
3. Do your company measures indicate the need for this amount?

Do what you have to do to create great customer satisfaction and to maintain a great Quality System!

:D

G

Greg B

S. Thompson said:

Do you audit between the processes? How does the product pass between services or areas of responsibility? Does it meet the next 'Customers' requirements? Is it on time? Is it in spec? Are they holding too much stock? do they speak to each other (survey each others requiremenst?). You may have the greatest individual processes in the world but they may not work as a whole. We audit things such as Waste (Time/Product/Labour/Rehandling etc). They may not come under the heading or scope of a normal Process but who says we have to audit to an area manual or process. We audit those areas where we think we can improve and save money (Bottlenecks, Waste, Improvements etc). Audit as much as YOU think is necessary not to prove a point to the registrar. It is your company.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Cari Spears said:
Thank you, Jim. I always thought it was one word meaning you're welcome - I've learned my something new for the day.:D

It is used in the same context as we use "You're Welcome." Jim's reply is the literal translation (and corrected spelling).

Perhaps a good example is when we sometimes say "No Problem" instead of "You're Welcome." It would appear strange if translated to another language.

But it is intended as the same thing.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
S. Thompson said:

Based on what I see in your schedule, I would probably also comment that "it seems like you are doing an awful lot of audits." It is common for that to come up in an audit.

However, that does not mean I as the auditor want you to do less. That is just up to you.

It is however, an observation that would lead down an audit trail to determine whether you are getting good results, etc. from your audits. Remember, an auditor is supposed to determine if your system complies to the standard, AND, if it is effective.

So, if from the audit interview, it is clear that the audits are beneficial, you have meaningful, beneficial findings, the volume of paperwork is manageable, the audits are being completely more or less per schedule, then it would appear to be a good schedule.

However, with this kind of schedule, I often see that there is a lot of paperwork to process, but with little results. Few findings, process owners feel annoyed, and don't feel any benefit from the audits. CA's are constantly overdue, the audits are a disruption, not a benefit, etc.

If that scenario were to be the case, then doing less audits, but getting more value from each one, may indeed be a more effective approach.

I certainly can't speak for your auditor's observation, but I have had the conversation outlined above a number of times. Then the client decides what is the better approach for them.

Q

QAKenny

Thanks for all the good examples everyone.

I've attached the audit plan/schedule and checklist that I've been using over the past few years. It's fairly detailed but worked well.

I wouldn't recommend printing this on anything less than 11X17. I printed a poster size copy of the audit plan on a plotter for better visibility in the office.

The first worksheet covers the annual plan for all audits and even includes customer specific requirement reviews as a reminder since these were hard to stay on top of for the automotive industry.

The second worksheet is a cross-reference of all TS clauses and what processes they apply to. This list may not be perfect but ensures that none of the TS requirements are missed if all processes are audited over the course of the year. I used this as a reference/tool while preparing for an audit of one of the processes listed.

I audit TS16949, 9001 and 14001 at four plants in two countries. Because of this, you'll see that there is duplication for most of the TS audits since they were being done twice. Once in WPG (Winnipeg, Canada) and once in Mpls (Minneapolis, USA). The TS audits are listed/coded as MOPS (Management oriented processes), COPS (Customer oriented processes), SOPS (Support oriented processes) and MFG (Manufacturing processes). Product audits were not part of this schedule if you're wondering. They were done through a separate schedule.

Hope you find it useful or at least informative!

View attachment ISOTS16949-2002 Internal Audit Plan and Checklist (11x17).xls

Top Bottom