Please explain MDR Rule 11 to me

Asia78

Involved In Discussions
Dear experts,
Anyone who can explain me rule 11?
I think it applies to standalone sw only but what is exactly a stand alone sw? Our device is probably considered a stand alone software (radiation planning) by itself, but it is used then by other software for treatment. So...is it really a standalone??
The two software have two separate DoC. What do you think? Does rule 11 still applies?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SKM.Sunil

Involved In Discussions
Dear experts,
Anyone who can explain me rule 11?
I think it applies to standalone sw only but what is exactly a stand alone sw? Our device is probably considered a stand alone software (radiation planning) by itself, but it is used then by other software for treatment. So...is it really a standalone??
The two software have two separate DoC. What do you think? Does rule 11 still applies?

I think you can call a Heart Rate monitoring SW used in smart/portable devices are "stand-alone" but the same software, when used in operation theatre, may not be called as "stand-alone". In such instance your device is not a stand-alone, it works with so many similar devices to function or give its intended use.

Your device may fall under "Class-IIb" as per the rule-11 statement "a serious deterioration of a person's state of health or a surgical intervention, in which case it is classified as class IIb."

Asia78

Involved In Discussions
Thanks, we are thinking about that indeed as second option. First would be to use the implementation rule "Software which drives a device or influence the use of a device, shall fall within the same class as the device". But I don't know if here the device is meant one part of the same DoC or not.. in our case it is not, it is a device from another manufacturer, a Linac (class IIb).

Is there anything about the interpretation? It is a very new rule and I would like to find sth more written around but I haven't found anything

SKM.Sunil

Involved In Discussions
Thanks, we are thinking about that indeed as second option. First would be to use the implementation rule "Software which drives a device or influence the use of a device, shall fall within the same class as the device". But I don't know if here the device is meant one part of the same DoC or not.. in our case it is not, it is a device from another manufacturer, a Linac (class IIb).

Is there anything about the interpretation? It is a very new rule and I would like to find sth more written around but I haven't found anything

As I have gone through the new rules, I could understand that "Your device shall be classified as per the risk it carries. as the supportive sw is not your and may the manufacture be XYZ, your device still falls under the section I mentioned (without knowing how it works independently or combined with others), You should submit substantial data to support the claim.

Your file will be independent, however, the claim for the complete working of the device will be compiled with reference to the device/SW that you refer to work with to give a complete function (be it XYZ from ABC company). Your technical file should demonstrate the function, that it mean to deliver.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I think you can call a Heart Rate monitoring SW used in smart/portable devices are "stand-alone" but the same software, when used in operation theatre, may not be called as "stand-alone". In such instance your device is not a stand-alone, it works with so many similar devices to function or give its intended use.
Maybe gettind off on a bit of a tangent here, but I can't say I agree with this. By definition, if software is used IN a device, it's not stand-alone.

Examples of stand-alone software include image analysis software, surgical planning software, etc.

SKM.Sunil

Involved In Discussions
Maybe gettind off on a bit of a tangent here, but I can't say I agree with this. By definition, if software is used IN a device, it's not stand-alone.

Examples of stand-alone software include image analysis software, surgical planning software, etc.
I certainly agree with you. but I just gave a basic example.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
By definition, if software is used IN a device, it's not stand-alone.
Are you saying that image analysis software, surgical planning software, etc, can be used without any hardware?

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Yes, of course. If the IMDRF hadn't established a definition for SaMDs that excluded the hardware on which they run, that could have opened the door to any PC, mobile device, etc, on which the SaMD ran being regulated as a medical device. Ouch.

Now we wait to see if a problem with an unregulated host causes a regulated SaMD to malfunction and harm patients. If that should happen, definitions are likely to be revisited.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Hello IAF. Are you listening? Please explain the inconsistency in your IAF Mandatory Documents (2019) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
T From 21 CFR to IEC 60601 - Please explain IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Please Recommend books that explain how to understand IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Please explain Medical Device Product Classification Rationale 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B Please Explain Clause 8.3 in ISO 9001:2008 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
P EN ISO vs. ISO - Please explain to me EN ISO vs. ISO standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
L Please Explain Inspection Levels including C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
J Please explain what formula is correct for "Mean and Range Control Chart" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Calibration vs. Inspection - Please explain the difference General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Gert Sorensen Please explain to me what .asp does Software Quality Assurance 5
A Please explain to me in laymans terms how to calculate a single T-test Six Sigma 14
P Layered Process Audit & the Document Audit - Can anyone explain to me, Please? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
D Definition Technical Files - Please explain differences and what information would be included Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 23
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Please share your method used for PEMS Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
optomist1 Share a DFMEA template please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
alonFAI Please share a medical device company NCMR procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
J Medical Device Vigilance decision tree FORM - Please share yours EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Marc Posting Job Openings - Read Me Please - 27 January 2019 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
L Please review my ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Plan Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 6
C Will anyone please share training material for ISO:13485:2016 for best practices Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
LeonelAguilar352 ISO 9001 - 2015, is the Quality Manual needed? Please advise ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Please Help! what is ARL for the range and standard deviation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
E Best GD&T training - Your suggestions and recommendations please Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
R Please help me with attached copy of AS 9100D internal audit check sheet AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Supplier Classifications - Please give me a good definition of the following terms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Please help my division with quality [long] Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J Please help me understand what a process is ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Please share your IATF 16949 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule Internal Auditing 13
M MDSAP Audit Plan - Please share an Audit Plan/Schedule/Agenda ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S New Interaction of Processes ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Please share a Product Audit Checklist for a Wafer Fab Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Moncia Complaint / Non-Conforming Product / CAPA Procedures - Please share your experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Revised ISO std vs ISO13485:2003 - Help Please!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Please recommend any good training courses for Medical Device Regulations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
E Supplier Evaluation Form - Example to evaluation suppliers (criteria) please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Please review my Risk Analysis Table ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
somashekar MDSAP (Medical Device Single Audit Program) Pilot: Please share your feedback ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 35
L Canadian Users of ISO 14001 please contact me ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
L Newly API Q1 9th Edition applicant HELP please =) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
3 K1 K2 K3 constant of Gage R&R - Please advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Informational Please help this newbie understand ISO 9001 Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44