Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified

Hello all,
I am looking for a few solutions for quality management for my business. I run a recreation business in Ontario. I rent rooms, boats and other amenities to the tourist, both inbound and outbound. Currently, I and my team are trying to get our business ISO certified. It is a tiresome process and involves a lot of planning and paperwork. As a part of the process, our team has to choose a quality management software tool to keep a track of everything that is related to our business. But, I like to know which tool is more helpful in getting us an ISO certification. What are the other things we should keep in mind while applying for ISO certification? How can we streamline the whole process without wasting a lot of resources?

Last edited by a moderator:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I have to ask this: Why do you want ISO 9001 for your business? Is there external pressure to do so? Do you think this will draw more business?

I have to ask this: Why do you want ISO 9001 for your business? Is there external pressure to do so? Do you think this will draw more business?
Thank you for the reply Miner.
The competition is so high in this industry. An ISO certificate will help us to market our products and services easily.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
My first recommendation is to be careful that you don't make your QMS overly complicated. You want something as simple as possible that is still effective. I would also caution you about your choice of QMS software as most will be focused on manufacturing instead of service and many will incorporate features intended for the medical industry. From your description of your business, you probably could easily get by without QMS software.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you for the reply Miner.
The competition is so high in this industry. An ISO certificate will help us to market our products and services easily.

If I understand what you are marketing it is room, boats and such. My thought is this:

1. Focus on Customer Satisfaction
2. Focus a good marketing plan
3. Benchmark your competitors
4. Think...how you can beat your competitors in pricing, facilities, and service

I don't feel that an ISO 9001 Registration would actually help here. Besides the costs and time invested in registering your company. But, it will be up to you. Just my opinion.

I agree. I would rethink the need for ISO certificaiton. If marketing is your goal, why would I as a consumer care if you're ISO certified (or even know about)? Seems the resources might be better spent on marketing materials. If you do decide to proceed with ISO, keep it simple. The simpler the better. Good luck.

Randy

Super Moderator
Reminds me a bit of Purley Blue in Australia and its certification to 9001 a few years back...Another recreation company wanting to verify its management of quality

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Reminds me a bit of Purley Blue in Australia and its certification to 9001 a few years back...Another recreation company wanting to verify its management of quality
Yep. The Purely Blue brothel accredited ISO 9001:2000 certificate is still available here at The Cove. It would be hard for the auditor to explain how exactly he was deemed qualified for that “industry code”.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yep. The Purely Blue brothel accredited ISO 9001:2000 certificate is still available here at The Cove. It would be hard for the auditor to explain how exactly he was deemed qualified for that “industry code”.
Wouldn't be me except from a LEO perspective...LOL

(Entertainment expertise maybe?)

Top Bottom