Please help with the construction of OC curves

R

rilakuma1121

hello all,
I have to construct a composite oc curve using the switching rule from iso 2859.
I know the ASNI Z1.4 contains the scheme oc curve, however it does not include the consideration of discontinue inspection.

I have to assume after 5 lot rejected while on tightened inspection, discontinue inspection is imposed.

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

David-D

Involved In Discussions
I'd first comment that I'm a bit concerned with the underlying premise. If I have a supplier so disinterested in root cause and corrective action that they blindly plug onwards (at a constant, bad quality level) with lot failure after lot failure to the extent that they get to the point of rejecting five lots in a row then you want to be rid of them as quickly as possible.

I'd question the usefulness of such an OC curve as having that constant level of devects over time isn't really realistic (you'd hope for some level of corrective action and improvement). Hopefully the only time you'd run into a situation like that would be if you had A supplier with lots of WIP and a process with no monitoring or control; in that case you're gambling anway. Ideally, you'd never select them as a supplier or dump them as quickly as possible. I guess, for comparative purposes it might be an interesting exercise.

That being said, I think this is an easy opportunity for a Monte Carlo simulation (I'd personally use Excel). Build whatever underlying OC curve evaluator you want for each of the sampling plans (Reduced, Normal, and Tightened). Personally,I'd probably just cheat/simplify and assume binomial as there are enough other more important sources of error. Then I'd simulate a bunch of runs and let the accept/reject drive me where it may. Alternately, maybe run until termination length.Tally up the results and assign the value for each point on the OC curve.

Hopefully not too hard or particularly time consuming although your spreadsheet is likely to be pretty large so you'll want to turn off the auto-cLculate function of excel.

My thoughts at 6 am on a phone, good luck,

David

R

rilakuma1121

Thank you very much David. Actually, you are right. It is a interesting exercise than a real case study. We assume the producer is producing lots that can meet up to AQL. We are kind of investigating the advantages of the switching rule and would like to try to use this simulation to show that misuse of switching rule may lead to a significant increase in the producer risk.

However, is it also possible to include the discontinue inspection effect in to the simulation? According to the ISO 2891, 5 times reject remains on the tightened inspection will lead to discontinue inspection. Based on this, we assume the after discontinue inspection is imposed, the next ten lots will be rejected and subjected to 100% inspection. After that, the inspection will resume to tightened.

Once again, I really appreciate your help!!:thanx::thanx:

David-D

Involved In Discussions
The real question to me stems from what you do once you discontinue inspection. Just going to a period of 100% inspection solves nothing as the process isn't being improved so as soon as you cease the screening, you'll just return to the same problem you started. Furthermore, on all the previous rejected lots the supplier was probably performing 100% inspection after the lots failed to then try to resell them; now shifting to 100% inspection is just cutting out the effort of failing the AQL sample.

For any usefullness, some sort of corrective action should be implemented coming out of the shutdown (up to and including getting a new supplier). Perhapse in your example you could have an improvement in process capability upon resumption. If you do nothing and just resume production, you just reenter the same failure loop you were in in the exact same OC curve. I don't know how or why you would further model that. Unfortunately I'm not sure that helps you with your question.

David

R

rilakuma1121

Can we see like this , I have read some journal regarding the studies of the performance of the Switching rule , they normally will assume psychological pressure act on the supplier will force him to increase the quality .

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Are you looking for the OC curve or the average outgoing quality curve?
The OC curve just provides the probability of detection given a defect rate and sample size. There is no OC curve for 100% inspection.

Yes the switching rules assume the producer will be motivated to fix the problem (otherwise its just a vicious cycle of roullette - going from a sample to 100% based on the 'whim' of a non-homogenous process). But why rely on that? if you knwo the process is incapable why don't you just fix it? is your management clueless about the cost or do they not believe that Problems can be fixed?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J PFMEA/control plan question- PLEASE HELP ! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A Please Help With EOQ Calculation Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S NC and Deviation approach - please help Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 12
B Can someone help me explain P-Value with a simple word please? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
K Please Help! what is ARL for the range and standard deviation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
R Please help me with attached copy of AS 9100D internal audit check sheet AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L Please help my division with quality [long] Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J Please help me understand what a process is ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Revised ISO std vs ISO13485:2003 - Help Please!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L Newly API Q1 9th Edition applicant HELP please =) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
S Informational Please help this newbie understand ISO 9001 Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
Y Please help me solve a DOE problem - New Minitab User Using Minitab Software 36
M Please help to analyze Response Surface Methodology by using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
M Please help to change the numbering in level 3 of structure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Please help for the CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
S Please help on ISO 13485 medical device related services Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Please help me to generate a Production Chart Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Please help me with Welding Symbols Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I Please help me with some Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Please help me define training requirements for a Career in Regulatory Affairs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Help with NDC (Number of Distinct Categories) Please Six Sigma 2
N If ew(t)=2339, how do I find T? Please help on Maths Problem Brain Teasers and Puzzles 3
C Clarification On Internal Auditor Requirements - Please help Internal Auditing 10
P ISO 9001:2008 Gap Analysis Template - Please help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Product Realisation Process Map - Need some help, please review and comment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Please help me interpret my GR&R results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Can anybody help me with Management Review scenario please? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V Help needed with ISO 14001 Procedures please ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
C I'm from Malaysia, just graduate 1 year - Looking for a job...Please help me. Career and Occupation Discussions 3
N I have 2 groups to compare - Minitab and stats newbie - Please help Using Minitab Software 18
K Please help Calculate Audit Man Days Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
B 5 Why help needed Please kindly review Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
D Please help to set Weighing Indicator SI4010R General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Newbie in IMDS - Please help me understand what I have to do RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
B Green Initiative - Please help me in preparing Go Green Steps.... Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
Ron Rompen Shiftwork Scheduling - An unusual problem - Need help please Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 13
S Opening Up Tolerances - We have over 6000 live drawings - help please Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
N Help please - Mechanical Latch Design Principles? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
K Scoring Scale for Internal Audits - Please help finding the right terms Internal Auditing 44
D Need some help with a formula in Excel Please! Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
T Help With GR&R (Gage R&R) on JMP ***JMP people please help*** Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M 'Searched' virus? Cannot delete folder - HELP please After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 33
G Hazardous Waste Consignment Note - Please Help Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R Please help us to understand clause 5.5.2 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Please help me to convert from ISO9001 to ISO13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10