SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Please recommend NCR / CAPA Software capable of embedding pictures

Q

QAKenny

My company is looking for a nonconformance reporting / corrective and preventive action software package that will allow embedding of pictures, and other files within the body of the report rather than simply attachments.

We have reviewed over 25 software packages and every one is simply text based with attachments. We hope to find a system that reads like a magazine or a web page where all of the information is presented in an easy to read flow.

The system will be used in our multi-plant ISO 9001 registered company and needs to use the 8D methodology. At minimum, this system will be used for customers concerns, supplier issues, internal issues (production, design, etc), HS&E, and internal and external audit nonconformities (system and process).

The system also needs to have the ability to issue NCR's / CAPA's directly to Supplier's and they must be able to securely log into the system to reply to their issues. This to avoid copying and pasting information back and forth between email and the CAPA software.

If anyone knows of any reputable systems that can do these things, please let me know. The only other option for us is to create this in-house in Lotus Notes.

Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

Those types of applications are simply databases with pre-defined forms, reports, querieis, etc. Databases become very inefficient if you try to start storing tons of images and other binary files internal to the database. This is why you are not finding any that will do it - the developers know it will become massivly bogged down in no time, so they go the attachment route to only load things when needed.

You have a major undertaking on your hands if you want the ability for suppliers to log into the system for updates. You need to look at network security, ensuring that Supplier A can't access Supplier B's information (or your financials). You are basically looking at a custom application, so you are going to need IT support to make it fit your existing infrastructure.

Q

QAKenny

Those types of applications are simply databases with pre-defined forms, reports, querieis, etc. Databases become very inefficient if you try to start storing tons of images and other binary files internal to the database. This is why you are not finding any that will do it - the developers know it will become massivly bogged down in no time, so they go the attachment route to only load things when needed.

You have a major undertaking on your hands if you want the ability for suppliers to log into the system for updates. You need to look at network security, ensuring that Supplier A can't access Supplier B's information (or your financials). You are basically looking at a custom application, so you are going to need IT support to make it fit your existing infrastructure.
Thanks for the response. I understand your points. I know there would still need to be text fields as it will be a searchable database but the problem description is where we want the ability to embed pictures and other files to tell a clear story.

Regarding suppliers; we have I.T. support and they have already provided a quote and confirmed they can create a system where suppliers will be able to securely log in. It was clearly defined that they must not be able to access other suppliers issues or financials. How they will do that is beyond me.

That said, we have support and funding to create what we want internally but it would be prefereable to find a proven system that already can do these things without creating it from scratch and dealing with all the development, testing and bugfixing.

Q

QAKenny

Have you looked at issue-tracking software?

Bugzilla and Jira are two examples of this type of software. There are many others. Most of them do what you want.
Thanks for your reply. I reviewed your links and those appear to be specific to tracking/resolving bugs in software design. Maybe something our I.T. group may need to use when developing the NCR/CAPA system. :D

T

tomvehoski

Think about if you really want everything embded inline. The reports/screens can be designed to show linked files inline - how they are stored is really immaterial to how they get displayed.

When you are in the verification stage of an 8D, do you really want to have to scroll past the 30 pictures, five spreadsheets, fishbone diagram, 30 e-mails and all of the other things that get embeded/attached when all you may really be looking for is a single line of text or a date? Also consider the supplier that has to load that from your server thousands of miles and a sketchy internet connection away. They probably don't need to see the picture in the problem description the 10th time they open the CAR to update it.

Even fourms such as this one, which are basically databases with a web interface, do not usually allow inline pictures (even though they can). It can take forever to load. It is highly annoying to scroll half way down the screen to the first unread post, to all of a sudden have the screen jump again because another image loaded. Find your spot again, and the next image causes it to jump.....

Links/thumbnails are typically much more database and user friendly.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Thanks for your reply. I reviewed your links and those appear to be specific to tracking/resolving bugs in software design. Maybe something our I.T. group may need to use when developing the NCR/CAPA system. :D
Tracking and resolving a bug in software is the same as tracking and resolving a bug in any other system or process. We've been using bugzilla for both NCR and CAPA successfully for a few years.

Q

QAKenny

Think about if you really want everything embded inline. The reports/screens can be designed to show linked files inline - how they are stored is really immaterial to how they get displayed.

When you are in the verification stage of an 8D, do you really want to have to scroll past the 30 pictures, five spreadsheets, fishbone diagram, 30 e-mails and all of the other things that get embeded/attached when all you may really be looking for is a single line of text or a date? Also consider the supplier that has to load that from your server thousands of miles and a sketchy internet connection away. They probably don't need to see the picture in the problem description the 10th time they open the CAR to update it.

Even fourms such as this one, which are basically databases with a web interface, do not usually allow inline pictures (even though they can). It can take forever to load. It is highly annoying to scroll half way down the screen to the first unread post, to all of a sudden have the screen jump again because another image loaded. Find your spot again, and the next image causes it to jump.....

Links/thumbnails are typically much more database and user friendly.
Those are very good points. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe there needs to be a button to expand the problem description so that only when clicked would it load all of the detail, pictures and other attachments. That may solve some of the issues you mentioned. Like I said, building this in-house is going to require testing and fixing to make sure it runs effectively and efficiently. Maybe we will have to resort to thumbnails. At least they would be visible to some degree and not be just a paperclip with a filename.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Q

QAKenny

Tracking and resolving a bug in software is the same as tracking and resolving a bug in any other system or process. We've been using bugzilla for both NCR and CAPA successfully for a few years.
Yes I suppose you're right. Hmm, I guess I'll have to take a deeper look but does it allow the inline (ebedded) pictures and supplier access that we're after? Do you know of any demo sites I can see this working as an NCR / CAPA system?

Thanks for your feedback.

R

Randy Lefferts

Hi Kenny,

I have awaited a response back on whether their software has this feature before responding. The person I "spoke" with (via email) has stated that their software is capable of showing images as you describe.

"Yes, we can do that. In fact, our Supplier Management System uses such function to show inspection method. When user uploaded a picture file, the system will show a preview. User can click the preview to see large file."

They may be worth checking out to see whether the entire system is something you can use.

I implemented their corrective action system at my previous place of work and it worked for us. QIT Consulting

I am not affiliated in any way nor do I use their software any longer as I no longer work at the location where I implemented their software.

Hopefully this helps. If it does, I can supply the contact information of the person that had helped me throughout my period using it. He was the tech guy at that time, I am not sure if he still is but he definitely can provide answers should you have questions that aren't answered in their demo.

Randy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Please Recommend books that explain how to understand IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Please recommend any good training courses for Medical Device Regulations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
N Recommend internal auditing training 101 please (Tucson or Phoenix, AZ) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
G Please recommend preparatory reading for AS9100 Rev C Lead Assessor Course AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
N Please recommend data acquisition system for temperature logging General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q Quality issues from Asia please recommend 3rd party inspection source. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
R Please recommend some good Manufacturing books to me Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 10
Y Please recommend some good Lean books to me Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 17
B Advice please! Which European city would you recommend for a visit? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 37
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 15
B Can someone help me explain P-Value with a simple word please? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
A Please explain MDR Rule 11 to me EU Medical Device Regulations 67
R Please share your method used for PEMS Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Hello IAF. Are you listening? Please explain the inconsistency in your IAF Mandatory Documents (2019) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
optomist1 Share a DFMEA template please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
alonFAI Please share a medical device company NCMR procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
J Medical Device Vigilance decision tree FORM - Please share yours EU Medical Device Regulations 15
Marc Posting Job Openings - Read Me Please - 27 January 2019 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
L Please review my ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Plan Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 7
C Will anyone please share training material for ISO:13485:2016 for best practices Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
L ISO 9001 - 2015, is the Quality Manual needed? Please advise ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Please Help! what is ARL for the range and standard deviation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
E Best GD&T training - Your suggestions and recommendations please Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
R Please help me with attached copy of AS 9100D internal audit check sheet AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Supplier Classifications - Please give me a good definition of the following terms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Please help my division with quality [long] Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J Please help me understand what a process is ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T From 21 CFR to IEC 60601 - Please explain IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Please share your IATF 16949 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule Internal Auditing 13
M MDSAP Audit Plan - Please share an Audit Plan/Schedule/Agenda ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S New Interaction of Processes ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Please share a Product Audit Checklist for a Wafer Fab Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Moncia Complaint / Non-Conforming Product / CAPA Procedures - Please share your experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Revised ISO std vs ISO13485:2003 - Help Please!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Supplier Evaluation Form - Example to evaluation suppliers (criteria) please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Please review my Risk Analysis Table ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
somashekar MDSAP (Medical Device Single Audit Program) Pilot: Please share your feedback ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 35
L Canadian Users of ISO 14001 please contact me ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4