Please Suggest Valuable Technical or ?motivational? Training Seminars, etc.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Please Suggest Valuable Technical or “motivational” Training Seminars, etc.

I’ve been told by my boss that I should attend some training or seminars/conferences, etc. for “professional development” and to “sharpen the saw”. Technical or “motivational” stuff. I asked for suggestions but received none.

I don’t know when I’m supposed to have time to do this, but anyway…if I go I don’t want to waste my time. Can the esteemed Cove members make some recommendations of good quality (so to speak) training courses, seminars, conferences, to attend? I am currently a QE in aerospace mfg.

As always, thanks in advance for your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Please Suggest Valuable Training Seminars, etc.

I’ve been told by my boss that I should attend some training or seminars/conferences, etc. for “professional development” and to “sharpen the saw”. Technical or “motivational” stuff. I asked for suggestions but received none.

I don’t know when I’m supposed to have time to do this, but anyway…if I go I don’t want to waste my time. Can the esteemed Cove members make some recommendations of good quality (so to speak) training courses, seminars, conferences, to attend? I am currently a QE in aerospace mfg.

As always, thanks in advance for your help!
Your boss is focusing on the wrong aspect of "for “professional development” and to “sharpen the saw”.

You and s/he should focus on the results from the training which will benefit
  1. the organization
  2. your progression/advancement within the organization
As part of the focus, together you and the boss might have a frank discussion about any shortcomings (professional or social) s/he has noticed which may be affecting the organization and your chances for advancement within the organization.

Once you have an idea of the target, selecting courses and providers should be much easier.

I do not mean to infer you DO have shortcomings, merely that your boss may have such a perception.

C

Craig H.

Hi, Mike.

I don't know if you have any certifications, or if you are even interested in them, but if you don't have any certs and are interested, you have been around the quality "gig" for a while. Why not consider a refresher course for one of the ASQ Bodies of Knowledge and sit for an exam, if Wes' (excellent) suggestions don't work out?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource

Points taken, Gents.

But I may be left on my own to suggest something. An ASQ cert was originally focused on a lot in my interview as a way they could tell if you really knew anything or not and I did/do not have one. But once they saw my work that focus has died way down, and right now with the number of hours I’m working I don’t have the time to commit to something long-term. For now, I think they’re thinking along the lines of a few-day kinda thing. I just don’t want to go to something on any subject that is poorly put together or a waste of time. For example, maybe there may be really good courses out there on GD&T or RC/CA, and there may be really crappy ones.

C

Craig H.

Ok, then.

I have been to several seminars on ISO given at Ga Tech. Our own Craig Cochran is one of their trainers. Some of their trainers were also involved as resource for the statewide ISO user group that I was a member of.

I have yet to attend one of their classes that was not well put together, and they are delivered by some top-notch trainers.

BTW, I did my undergrad work at the Univ. of GA, and the two schools are rivals. If what I said above was not true, you could not pay me enough not to gloat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Please suggest analysis for identifying the warranty Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
Q Please suggest how to improve Cosmetic Visual Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
M Please suggest Registrar in Emeryville, CA - Software development company Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 2
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
A Please explain MDR Rule 11 to me EU Medical Device Regulations 67
R Please share your method used for PEMS Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Hello IAF. Are you listening? Please explain the inconsistency in your IAF Mandatory Documents (2019) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
optomist1 Share a DFMEA template please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
alonFAI Please share a medical device company NCMR procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
J Medical Device Vigilance decision tree FORM - Please share yours EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Marc Posting Job Openings - Read Me Please - 27 January 2019 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
L Please review my ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Plan Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 7
C Will anyone please share training material for ISO:13485:2016 for best practices Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
LeonelAguilar352 ISO 9001 - 2015, is the Quality Manual needed? Please advise ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Please Help! what is ARL for the range and standard deviation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
E Best GD&T training - Your suggestions and recommendations please Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
R Please help me with attached copy of AS 9100D internal audit check sheet AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Supplier Classifications - Please give me a good definition of the following terms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Please help my division with quality [long] Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J Please help me understand what a process is ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T From 21 CFR to IEC 60601 - Please explain IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Please share your IATF 16949 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule Internal Auditing 13
M MDSAP Audit Plan - Please share an Audit Plan/Schedule/Agenda ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Please Recommend books that explain how to understand IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S New Interaction of Processes ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Please share a Product Audit Checklist for a Wafer Fab Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Moncia Complaint / Non-Conforming Product / CAPA Procedures - Please share your experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Revised ISO std vs ISO13485:2003 - Help Please!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Please recommend any good training courses for Medical Device Regulations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
E Supplier Evaluation Form - Example to evaluation suppliers (criteria) please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Please review my Risk Analysis Table ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
somashekar MDSAP (Medical Device Single Audit Program) Pilot: Please share your feedback ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 35
L Canadian Users of ISO 14001 please contact me ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
L Newly API Q1 9th Edition applicant HELP please =) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
3 K1 K2 K3 constant of Gage R&R - Please advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Informational Please help this newbie understand ISO 9001 Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
Y Please help me solve a DOE problem - New Minitab User Using Minitab Software 36
R Please help with the construction of OC curves Using Minitab Software 7
M Please help to analyze Response Surface Methodology by using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
S Please Review my APQP Training Material APQP and PPAP 4
E Empty Test Tube Storage - Suggestions Please Manufacturing and Related Processes 8