Please tell me where to start - ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manual 'Upgrade'

A

Amanda H

I have just been handed a quality manual that was designed in 1995- AS/NZS ISO 9002:1994 by a consultant. I work for a tree lopping buisness with about 14 employees. I have been asked to update the manual and get the ball rolling so we can put a tender in for a large client who needs us to be certified. I have done a little with qa but only on work instructions in another job. Who do I contact and where do I start! And by the way, this manual has not been opened since 1995 so no records, changes, or maintance forms completed. It appears the manual is written for what should be happening not what is happening. I hear there is a new standard ISO9000:2000 should I be using this one? Can I adapt the current manual or is it best to start from scratch?
Hoping your valuable experience can guide me in the right direction. Regards Amanda

[This message has been edited by Amanda H (edited 28 January 2001).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Amanda,

First I would purchase a copy of ISO 9004:2000. This is a guide. Within the guide, boxeed in, are the requirements of ISO 9001:2000. An electronic copy can be purchase at www.asq.org. Depending on your geographical location you may want to purchase from a company closer in proximity.

I am currently working with 7 companies to ISO 9001:2000, 4 of which are non manufacturing.

If you like contact me at al[email protected]
I will be glad to give you some free assistance to get you started.

awk

A

Amanda H

AWK
Thanks for your advice. I am in Australia and will endeavour to find where I can purchase a copy of the abovementioned guide.
This is starting to seem that I am unable to do this alone so I will keep you in mind should I need some further assistance. There are quite a few ISO versions, how can we be sure which on is appropriate for us?
Regards Amanda H

R

Rick Goodson

Amanada,

One of the great values of Marc's forums is the ability to tap the resources of members. As you need help, come to the forum and ask.

With the new revision (year 2000) to the standard there are only three standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001 and ISO 9004. Breifly, ISO 9000 is the vocabulary and some "fundamentals". The fundamentals are useful in understanding how your registrar will interpret the standard. Pay attention to the 8 Quality Management Principles, I believe they will help you understand the intent in the ISO 9001 standard. The ISO 9001 is the standard you will register to. You need to meet the requirements described in it. ISO 9004 is basically a document for those who want to go beyond ISO 9001.

Your best bet for getting the standard rapidly is to download it off the web. Try http://store.iso9.com/index.html. The ISO 9000 standard is $62 US and the ISO 9001 is $54 US.

A concern that you should be aware of is the need for management buy in. I have never seen an effective implementation when the motivation has been a customer requirement and there is not management support and involvement. In fact, the 2000 revision places much more emphasis on management involvement than the 1994 revision.

The existing document probably will not be of much help. My guess is it simply mimics the standard and does not tell you anything about how you run the business.

A final note. There are a lot of members in this forum located throughout Australia. I am positive they will add their comments. They can be a lot of help in selecting a registrar as they will have experience with the locals.

Good luck!

D

Doug Stimson

Originally posted by Amanda H:
AWK
Thanks for your advice. I am in Australia and will endeavour to find where I can purchase a copy of the abovementioned guide.
This is starting to seem that I am unable to do this alone so I will keep you in mind should I need some further assistance. There are quite a few ISO versions, how can we be sure which on is appropriate for us?
Regards Amanda H
Try Standards Australia, they have a web site. Ask for ISO 9001:2000 and IS0 9004:2000
Doug (USA E-mail [email protected])

D

David Mullins

The tree lopping business is very appropriate for the quality line (some might suggest).

I'm in Oz and can send you a range of stuff to get you going.

Avoid engaging a consultant until you have a clearer expectation. (You've clearly been robbed once already)

The time required for certification depends on how bad the management team want it. Plus you need to engage a worthwhile auditor (I can tell you what to look for, depending on the needs of the company, but the most important thing is are they accredited for you area, and when are they available to audit?)

Yes, you're better off starting from scratch, as the 1995 manual doesn't reflect reality then or now.

There is also plenty of information available from the FTP area of this site. (A great asset of this site)

Let me know how I can help.

------------------

J

James Gutherson

Oh and Amanda, the standards Australia website is www.standards.com.au
You will get a much better price there than from a US site thanks to the strength of the Ozzie peso, oops I mean dollar.

Again, this board is a great resource and the people very knowledgable. Based on his submissions I doubt you could get better help than from David, but let me know if I can also help.

[email protected]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
A quick comment....

I purchased the FDIS from Standards Australia (I think it was the FDIS - it may have been the DIS). It was a pdf file which required a 'plugin' which allowed it to print ONCE!! One copy!!! My printer jammed and my one copy was thus 'used' so I couldn't print a copy.

I bought the released standards in December from ISO9K.com (as I remember) and they did not have the limitation that Standards Australia placed upon their files.

I recommend you check whether Standards Australia is still requiring the plugin to open the file and still has the 1 copy ONLY print restriction before you buy from Standards Austraila -- or any other source for that matter.

A

Amanda H

Thanks for the overwhelming response. I no longer feel like this is going to be an impossible mission. Management are willing to get this going (in the long run it means more $$), but to what extent I am yet to find out. Thanks for all the leads on where to start, and I can almost guarantee you will probably be hearing from me. This is a wonderful site, I'm glad I found it!
Regards Amanda

[This message has been edited by Amanda H (edited 30 January 2001).]

D

David Mullins

Marc,

I've forwarded your concerns, and mine (I've never liked the one print, hard-nosed approach), to Standards Australia.

I'll advise what their feedback is, if their system is up to scratch!

------------------

[This message has been edited by David Mullins (edited 30 January 2001).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Please tell me how to start doing an FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
kmyers Implementing ISO 9001 - I need it all! Please tell me the bare bones! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
A Integration of Six Sigma & TPM - Please tell me how Six Sigma 5
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 2
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
A Please explain MDR Rule 11 to me EU Medical Device Regulations 67
R Please share your method used for PEMS Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Hello IAF. Are you listening? Please explain the inconsistency in your IAF Mandatory Documents (2019) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
optomist1 Share a DFMEA template please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
alonFAI Please share a medical device company NCMR procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
J Medical Device Vigilance decision tree FORM - Please share yours EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Marc Posting Job Openings - Read Me Please - 27 January 2019 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
L Please review my ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Plan Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 7
C Will anyone please share training material for ISO:13485:2016 for best practices Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
LeonelAguilar352 ISO 9001 - 2015, is the Quality Manual needed? Please advise ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Please Help! what is ARL for the range and standard deviation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
E Best GD&T training - Your suggestions and recommendations please Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
R Please help me with attached copy of AS 9100D internal audit check sheet AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Supplier Classifications - Please give me a good definition of the following terms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Please help my division with quality [long] Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J Please help me understand what a process is ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T From 21 CFR to IEC 60601 - Please explain IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Please share your IATF 16949 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule Internal Auditing 13
M MDSAP Audit Plan - Please share an Audit Plan/Schedule/Agenda ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Please Recommend books that explain how to understand IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S New Interaction of Processes ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Please share a Product Audit Checklist for a Wafer Fab Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Moncia Complaint / Non-Conforming Product / CAPA Procedures - Please share your experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Revised ISO std vs ISO13485:2003 - Help Please!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Please recommend any good training courses for Medical Device Regulations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
E Supplier Evaluation Form - Example to evaluation suppliers (criteria) please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Please review my Risk Analysis Table ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
somashekar MDSAP (Medical Device Single Audit Program) Pilot: Please share your feedback ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 35
L Canadian Users of ISO 14001 please contact me ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
L Newly API Q1 9th Edition applicant HELP please =) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
3 K1 K2 K3 constant of Gage R&R - Please advice Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Informational Please help this newbie understand ISO 9001 Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
Y Please help me solve a DOE problem - New Minitab User Using Minitab Software 36
R Please help with the construction of OC curves Using Minitab Software 7
M Please help to analyze Response Surface Methodology by using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
A Please suggest analysis for identifying the warranty Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
Q Please suggest how to improve Cosmetic Visual Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10