SBS - The best value in QMS software

Plotting Probability Exceedance using the Probability Plot Graph in Minitab

B

big ec

Hi

Does anyone know how to plot probability exceedance using the probability plot graph in minitab. I'm talking here about plotting the probability of exceeding a certain value whereas it seems that minitab is only able to plot the probability of a value being less than a certain value.

This would be used for plotting the probability of a flow rate for a river exceeding a certain value i.e. a low flow rate would have a high probability value with a high flow rate having a low probability value.

Many thanks for any help offered!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Probability plot of exceedance

Hi

Does anyone know how to plot probability exceedance using the probability plot graph in minitab. I'm talking here about plotting the probability of exceeding a certain value whereas it seems that minitab is only able to plot the probability of a value being less than a certain value.

This would be used for plotting the probability of a flow rate for a river exceeding a certain value i.e. a low flow rate would have a high probability value with a high flow rate having a low probability value.

Many thanks for any help offered!
I might be slow or not understanding your question correctly, but the probability of being greater than a value is 1-probability of being less than that value.

B

big ec

Re: Probability plot of exceedance

Thanks for your help Steve - however what I'm looking for is an option in minitab to allow me to produce a probability plot of this - essentially taking 1 column of data and then showing on a plot the probability of a figure in that column being exceeded.

I can produce a probablity plot where the probability of a new value being less than a value in the column is plotted but not the probability of a new value being greater :)

Need to get this done for a master degree assignment on Friday!

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
It is not an elegant solution but I think this will do what you need ...

Once you have the standard graph made, copy the graph into an image processing application (the free MS Paint on windows machines will do). Once there, select just the graph (not the titles, numbers, etc) and "Flip Vertical". This should make the graph slope down and the biggest value will be down near 1% instead of up near 99%.

I didn't see any good way to do it within Minitab.

(I did also notice that if you hover the mouse over the lines on the probability plot, it will show the actual data. I can't seem to cut & paste, but you could in principle copy the numbers, change all the probabilities to 1-p, and then replot the results (perhaps in Excel) .

A

Allattar

If I understand you right you could use the calc tools.

CALC>PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTIONS>NORMAL

Create a column of x-values, I recommend patterned data tools from calc.

For example -3 to +3 steps of 0.1.
Then use the calc probability distributions to obtain the cumulative probability for each value of x.
Then use the calculator to take 1-the cumulative probability.

Head to graphs and scatterplots, plotting with a connect line and plot x against 1-cumulative probability. To make it tidier turn the plotted points off displaying just the connect line.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
AnaMariaVR2 Guide to Microsoft Excel for Calculations, Statistics, and Plotting Data Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
V Plotting MTBF for More Systems in a Single Chart using Meridium 3.4.2 Software Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S Minitab closes/crashes when plotting Response optimization Using Minitab Software 2
G Control Charts - Plotting Unwanted Data Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
W Plotting Cpk as Function of Measurement Event Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
C Plotting identified Competencies, Education & Training Needs into the Training Plan Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
M ISO13485 Special Requirement - Paper used for plotting charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
MrTetris How to qualitatively assess initial probability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K Small Sample - Lower Limit Probability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
Y IEC 62304 Section 4.3(a) - 100% probability of failure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
L Balls drawn without replacement probability question Brain Teasers and Puzzles 8
L How to calculate the Probability of Deficiency of the AQL of an Inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16
Marc Definition PFH - Probability of dangerous failure per hour Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition PFD - Probability of failure on demand Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
A Risk Acceptability Criteria - Probability and Acceptability Level ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
M Risk Probability - Is there a Better System? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
J Can Normal Probability Paper and GPC be created with Excel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Z What is the Probability of Picking Up "Good" alphabets? Six Sigma 6
N Hazard Probability of Occurrence Definition ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
E Risk Management selection Probability of Occurrence and Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 24
C How to calculate P value on Probability Plot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Bev D Probability question - Components of Variation study on a single use diagnostic test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P One sided confidence interval for probability plot in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
K Probability of Occurrence Ranking for Low Volume Manufacturing vs High Volume FMEA and Control Plans 11
T Repeated Inspection - Probability of Visual Inspection catching Defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
L "Half Normal Plot vs Normal Probability Plot" of Effects Using Minitab Software 1
U PROBLEM: Probability of Resource Access Collision Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Software Risk Estimation: Probability of Medical Device Software Anomaly Occuring ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
N Bayes Law of Conditional Probability ("The Drunkard's Walk" by Mlodinow) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Probability Density Function of a Function of a Random Variable Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
V Preparing for SSGB - Six Sigma Probability Question Six Sigma 13
R Risk Management - Probability vs. Frequency IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
V ASQ CSSGB - More In Depth Probability and Sampling Methods prep materials Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
A Probability of a good lot given that the sample was good Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Rameshwar25 How Probability of Acceptance of a Part is Calculated Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
I Mathematical Probability Puzzle Brain Teasers and Puzzles 25
1 What are TOP, DPU, DPO, DPMO? Mult-CTQ (discrete) ZST - Is this a probability? Six Sigma 1
B Probability of finding a Defective Part - Probability question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
D ISO 2859 - Probability that sample size is sufficient Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Multiple Censored Tests to find out the Survival Probability Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Probability Distribution Problem Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Confidence Interval on Normal Probability Plot Using Minitab Software 2
bobdoering How's this for a probability function? Player Hits Own Mom With Foul Ball Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
D Probability of Failure - Seven expansion joints Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5