PMA Test and Computation Question - FAA order 8110.42C Chapter 2 section 6 b

jameslaz

Involved In Discussions
I am trying to find and answer to what I thought was a simple question, I am hopping someone can set me straight. My company is just starting up in the PMA world and I have questions about Test and Computation data. In FAA order 8110.42C Chapter 2 section 6 b. It states Comparative Test and Analysis, or General Test and Analysis. I am not really sure what is meant by General Test and Analysis. We have a new employee who is stating that you can get a PMA supplement approved by test and computation with out actually making the new PMA part and testing it. I do not see how this is possible but I may be wrong, I have gone under the assumption of Comparative Test and Analysis which clearly states “This method entails analysis and test of the original and proposed parts”. Me fellow employee is stating as long as it is not a critical part just reverse engineering and creating a print based on the reverse engineering data is enough for an approval. If anyone has any information to share on this subject this I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you,
James

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
It seems pretty straight forward to me but I would not proceed too far without discussing your plans with your DER and/or your ACO.

From 8110.42C, Chapter 2:

6. Special Requirements for Test and Computation Applications. Applications submitted on the basis of test and computation should specifically address:

a. Compliance with Airworthiness Standards. Applications based on test and computation, either comparative or general test and analysis, must demonstrate compliance with applicable airworthiness standards. These include special conditions that apply to the respective products. The certification basis for the PMA part is the same as the basis for products affected by part installation (see the TCDS). Find minimum performance standards in applicable TSOs and airworthiness requirements in the following 14 CFR parts:

b. Substantiation. The applicant can prove compliance with applicable airworthiness standards by comparative or general test and analysis. Comparative test and analysis substantiates that the PMA part is at least equal to the approved original part. Thus, the PMA part meets the same airworthiness standards as the original part. General test and analysis shows the part complies directly with all airworthiness regulations applicable to the product affected by part installation. Tests support each type of analysis and confirm significant assumptions, findings or conclusions.

Reading on we find:

(1) Comparative Test and Analysis. Expect the applicant to demonstrate the functional design of the proposed part is at least equal that of the original TC, STC, or TSO part. This method entails analyses and tests of the original and proposed parts. The criticality of the part and the complexity of its design will dictate the rigor of the comparative analysis and the extent of testing. Side-by-side testing of proposed and original parts with zero service time under the same procedures and conditions provide the standard to evaluate the adequacy of the replacement part. The results of the analyses and tests will note any differences and provide sound technical justifications for these differences. Reverse engineering of the original part supports a comparative analysis. However, comparison of the respective PMA and product designs may suffice for simple, non-critical parts.

(2) General Test and Analysis. The applicant shows the part complies directly with the product’s airworthiness requirements and applicable TSO requirements. For example, certification of a proposed replacement part for an engine by this method would require compliance with all regulations of 14 CFR part 33 applicable to the affected product.

(3) Test Scope and Plan.

(a) Part criticality and complexity determines the need, type, and scope of testing to support either a comparative or general analysis. Testing ranges from functional to component to flight. This verifies the performance and durability of the part for compliance with applicable airworthiness standards. Simple, non-critical parts may need little or no testing.
As I said above, get some direction from your DER or the ACO.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Amending Test and Computation PMA (Parts Manufacturing Approval) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
J PMA Approval Based on Test & Computation OEM Requirements Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
L PMA and Non-PMA parts in same finished goods area? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
S Regulatory Medical Device PMA Plans US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
DuncanGibbons FAA approval of articles (PMA, TSO) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Examples of Pre-Sub, SRD, PMA Shells and Templates Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S IPO/POA arrangement with PMA holder EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
J FAA Maintenance Requirements - DER Repair to a PMA Part Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
J PMA Device - Lot # change in New ERP Software - What are the FDA Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D PMA A&P Document (i.e. Promotional Brochures, Flyers) Retention Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
B Looking for a Premarket Approval (PMA) Template or checklist Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Q FDA Consensus Standard for PMA (Pre-Market Approval) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P Basic questions about earning TSOA (Technical Standard Order Authorization) and PMA Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
H FDA/PMA/Medical Device/Before submission/Manufacturing facility change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
P Acquisition of a company that manufactures a PMA device-FDA notification requriements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S What are the differences between Traditional 510(k) and a PMA to meet 21 CFR 814.20 ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
T Support of our customer?s PMA submission to the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S US FDA PMA (Pre-Market Approval) Process Flow Chart Example Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
T Requirements for Private Labeling a Class III (PMA) Medical Device in the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
bio_subbu US FDA issues Draft Guidance on Premarket Approval (PMA) Acceptability Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
G Changing the Name of a PMA Product Under Review Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
C FAA/PMA Part Marking Requirements Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
T PMA (Parts Manufacturing Approval) vs IP (Intellectual Property) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 8
bio_subbu FDA issues draft PMA (Pre-Market Approval) Clinical Study Guidance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
I Medical Device Exclusivity Period if granted a PMA (Parts Manufacturing Approval) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S PMA Submission Software Hazard Analysis Document vs. Product Hazard Analysis doc ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A TSO (Technical Standard Order) and PMA (Parts Manufacturer Approval) - Differences Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
R PMA (Parts Manufacturing Approval) Supplement - Labeling Software Change 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Class 1 Diagnostic Kits - PMA (Parts Manufacturing Approval) Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Marking Parts Manufacturing Approval (PMA) Parts with a 8130-3 Tag Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 9
T Change Control Decision Tree - When medical devices that are approved with a PMA Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J FDA Response to PMA Submission: Help 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P PMA called for a class III-510(k)..what next? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J FMEA for PMA Data Application Package - APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) parts Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
A PMA (Parts Manufacturer Approvals) parts in Europe Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
J PMA (Premarket Approval) - Will inspection of Component Manufacturers occur? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T PMA (PreMarket Approval) Check List example wanted for Class III Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Protocol Agreement - PMA application for Class III Medical devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
C Does every PMA part have to have an 8130 form? Or compliance with part 21.303? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
J FAA Los Angeles ACO Manager for PMA Submittals Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
J PMA (Parts Manufacture Approval) Dimensional Inspections Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
J Requirements for PMA parts for domestic use and 8130-3 Tags Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
J PMA (Parts Manufacturer Approval) FAA Submittal Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
A FDA site database search - Where to find listing for PMA and 510(k) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Cord anchorage pull test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1