PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup): Rationale for Exemption - Software Medical Devices

Hello there,

Our ISO13485 company manufactures a software medical device of class IIa and we based the compliance for the CE marking basing on equivalence.
Also, our product can be considered as "Low Novelty". We have a robust Pre-market clinical data and our conclusion (approved by BSI) on the CER is that there is no outstanding risk from Literature, and just one Risk from Pre-market clinical data which is already addressed and mitigated by our RMS, through Design&Development and V&V activities (status: Acceptable Risk).
As final comment, we do have a PMS plan (journals, trade shows, user feedback etc.) in place. The product is not on any market (neither EU nor USA) and won't be for the next 4 months due to commercial reasons.

We are at the final stage of the first CE marking issue and the auditor asked us to provide a rationale for not having in place a PMCF plan.
According to the MEDDEV 2.12/2 rev2, the only outstanding point is we based CE marking on equivalence.

I know we can be exempted from PMCF but I can't formulate an appropriate / roboust justification.
Can you please provide me with some inputs / ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
MEDDEV 2.12/2 is N/A if the audit confirmed that your CER and RM is acceptable and there's no unacceptable residual (clinical) risk:
The objective of this document is to provide guidance on the appropriate use and conduct of PMCF studies to address issues linked to residual risks.
(Emphasis added)

Following MEDDEV 2.7/1 revision 4, your CER should have already addressed the factors giving rise to a PMCF - have you explicitly listed them and stated that (and why) they don't apply in your specific case?

Edit: The MDR makes it a little difficult to argue that PMCF is unnecessary, regardless of what you currently determine:
When conducting PMCF, the manufacturer shall proactively collect and evaluate clinical data [...] with the aim of confirming the safety and performance throughout the expected lifetime of the device, of ensuring the continued acceptability of identified risks and of detecting emerging risks on the basis of factual evidence.
(Emphasis added)

On the other hand it also says:
(b) The post-market surveillance plan shall cover at least:
[...]
— a PMCF plan as referred to in Part B of Annex XIV, or a justification as to why a PMCF is not applicable.
(Emphasis added)

I guess it comes down to the auditor's mercy.

Last edited:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I guess it comes down to the auditor's mercy.
I think I agree... which is QUITE worrisome. I have a checklist of questions that I answer to determine if a PMCF is warranted. Yet even if I conclude that a PMCF is not warranted, a reviewer could, with no real rationale at all, decide one was necessary. They could just conclude that my rationale was not sufficient and refuse to budge.

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
I can't imagine a manufacturer not having a PMCF plan.
How did you can show equivalence to a software device. Do you have access to the source code?

funkgirl

Involved In Discussions
If you're also managing a Clinical Evaluation Report and updating at least annually and including PMS data on your device and competitors, couldn't that be considered a surrogate for PMCF in which you've definitely excluded the need for studies?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Good point @dgrainger regarding a Plan being needed (although I don't follow the bit about equivalence to a software device). I may have been conflating Plan and PMCF Study. Indeed, it does look like a PMCF Plan would be required to define how you collect clinical data on an ongoing basis. Where it still worries me is if you conclude that a study is not necessary, it looks like an NB could just disagree and you have no real recourse.

I need to start using "PMCF Plan" and "PMCF Study" to be clear.

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
I don't follow the bit about equivalence to a software device
Sorry, I miss typed. I was just wondering how equivalence had been demonstrated. I'm assuming that they have access to the source code and can prove that they are technically the same.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Post-market clinical followup studies (PMCF) EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup)/ PSUR template EU Medical Device Regulations 8
W Interesting Discussion PMCF (Post-Market Clinical Followup) vs PMCF studies EU Medical Device Regulations 36
C PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup) Enrollment Sizes (Spinal Implants) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Understanding PMS (Post Market Surveillance) and PMCF (Vigilance and PMCF) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Is PMCF really a continuous activity per Annex XIV,Part B? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S PMS (Premarket Submission) and PMCF Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Clinical Evaluation Plan vs. PMCF Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 19
A CE Mark and PMCF study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R PMCF - centers/countries used CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
R PMCF plan to justify that our product not require PMCF study EU Medical Device Regulations 2
BreeJeong PMCF study plan is same to clinical investigation plan? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Do subjects pay for a medical implant in PMCF study? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Q Is there a way that I can combine two PMCF studies into one? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Inquiry about MEDDEV 2.12/2 rev2 - PMCF studies EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Residual risks which the PMCF study is based on ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
C Production and Post Production feedback - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Impact of changing manufacturer post clinical investigation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
N Post Market Surveillance Package Example Wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Status of Medical Device Regulations in UK Post-Brexit Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
M Post Market Surveillance for Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
N Post registration variation to medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Medical Devices - Hong Kong - Post approval changes regulation (China's MOH) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
H Post-market surveillance strategy EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Procedures for Complaint Handling and Post Market Surveillance EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Z Role of economic operators (EO) post the EU MDR Date of application in May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational Creating a post market surveillance (PMS) system for medical devices – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
E Post Market Surveillance Standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
T Post-Market Surveillance Plan - Requirements outlined in Annex III (1.1b) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
DuncanGibbons Why is 8.4 post-delivery activities before 8.6 release of products and services in AS9100D? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Y Post Market Surveillance Indicators and Analysis method EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Surveillance Plan Template EU Medical Device Regulations 6
F Vietnamese Post-Market Surveillance Requirements for a medical device in Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Post Market Surveillance and Annual Product Review in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Post Market Clinical Follow up and CE Marking for Class IIb medical X-Ray products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Delete post - How to delete post? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 4
M Medical Device News Health Canada Notice of intent: Strengthening the post-market surveillance and risk management Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
Marc User Post Counts - 20181101 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
A Return information production and post production ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K EU MDR - PMS (Post Market Surveillance) SOP - definition of "register(s)" EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S An auditor asked for a Post Market Surveillance Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
K Where does the FDA post its various compliance dates? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Proactive / Preventive Post Market Surveillance question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M ISO TR 20416 Medical Devices - Post-Market Surveillance for Manufacturers Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
B AS9100 Scope of Registration - Post-Delivery Activities N/A? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9