Poka Yoke For Breaking Screw Tap

P

Przemek

Hello . I have a big problem with breaking screws tap during rifling the rods. This rods after this are cutting and we produce inserts and screw locks. Maybe somebody had this problem in past and have any POKA YOKE? Regards

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Two suggestions that come to mind would be:
- an optical or proximity sensor on the tap itself near the tip that could check between cycles to verify that the tip was present.
- a sensor on the torque or power of the tapping power supply. A broken tap would not generate torque or draw power because it would not be cutting threads.

I am sure that there are other possibilities also.

P

Przemek

Thanks for help, maybe do you have andy drawing for these solutions?:thanx:

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Could you provide some additional info on your process - is this a hand tap operation, or a CNC process?

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello . I have a big problem with breaking screws tap during rifling the rods. This rods after this are cutting and we produce inserts and screw locks. Maybe somebody had this problem in past and have any POKA YOKE? Regards
Could the tap need sharpening? If so, a little preventive maintenance is all you need.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Do you have a machinist you can ask?

Cheap taps will cause it. Worn taps will cause it. Damaged taps will cause it. Poor hole quality will cause it. Incorrect speed and feed settings will cause it. Incorrect travel settings will cause it. Misalignment of tooling will cause it. Trying to rigid tap without a rigid tapping machine will cause it. Inadequate cooling/lubrication will cause it. Inadequate chip evacuation will cause it. Hard or work hardening material will cause it.

Let's find the root cause of the problem before trying to error-proof the operation.

P

Przemek

Hi. I spoke with operators and analyze raports form production. OUR Root cause problems is a moment when screw tap is wort our ,but not breaks and start produce parts with narrow thread ( tap diameter is below tollerance). We cant found this moment. We received taps from one supplier and have the same hardness and material class. Regards

C

ChuckHughes

"Cheap taps will cause it. Worn taps will cause it. Damaged taps will cause it. Poor hole quality will cause it. Incorrect speed and feed settings will cause it. Incorrect travel settings will cause it. Misalignment of tooling will cause it. Trying to rigid tap without a rigid tapping machine will cause it. Inadequate cooling/lubrication will cause it. Inadequate chip evacuation will cause it. Hard or work hardening material will cause it." :thanx: atetsade

I agree with the above...too many potential causes to begin Poke Yoke or other mistakeproofing. You will need to identify the root cause first.

P

Przemek

Sorry but i cant agree with you: Iwrote in previous post about problem with narrow thread. Root cause :during production process tap is losed correct diameter dimension, worn out. Its normal worn out. Question is: How find this moment when tap start produce incorrect thread ( with diameter below tollerance)? All causes about you wrote was eliminated.

Top Bottom