Policy Manual vs Procedure Manual?

L

Lmccrary

I am confused about the documentation requirements. The TS standard reads QMS documentation shall include a quality policy and policy objectives, a quality manual, required documented procedures, addition documents and records.
We are transitioning from QS to TS and I don't know for sure if we have to have a Policy Manual in addition to a procedure manual.
Does 'quality manual' mean policies or procedures?

I know it may seem like an easy question but I would imagine that we all have mental blocks occasionally. Mine has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

This sight has been extremely helpful and I appreciate the wealth of information provided by all the participants.

Thank you.
LMM

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

I know there have been other threads about this subject and opinions vary. I normally use a policy manual that restates the standard and references the procedures for each TS requirement. If you don't have a realted procedure for something, expand on how you do it in the policy manual. I also have a cross reference for each point of TS to the procedure. It is not of much value for day to day operations, but it does prove that all TS requirements have been addressed. Auditors also like it since it helps to tie your documentation to the standard. I also use it to show a customer, in 20 pages, that there is a system in place without having to send all of the procedures if requested.

There is no "correct" format. You can state that your procedures manual is the policy manual, as long as it addresses each "shall". It would still be good to have a cross reference chart to the standard.

My typical format is:

Policy Manual = Standard Restated (about 20 pages)
Procedures = How we do each process (how to handle calibration)
Work Instruction = How to do sub-processes (how to calibrate a micrometer)
Records = Forms, databases, etc.

Quality System = Everything

Tom

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
FWIW I think Tom stated very well how many folks, me included, handle this documentation issue. It is the basis for the old documentation pyramid with Level 1,2,3, and 4 documents. There are likely other ways, but this seems most popular and is easy enough for my simple mind to understand. Take a look at some of the Q manuals posted here for more concrete examples. If this doesn't answer your question, write back!

M

Michelle W.

I was under the impression that the policy documents could fall away. The only policy required is the policy statement itself. The standard specifies that the Quality Manual should contain the scope of the QMS, the documented procedures (or reference to them) and a description of the interaction between the processes of the QMS.

If one was to keep all the policy documents then surely the 20 would fall away (based on the old elements) and they would be replaced by just 5??

J

Jim Biz

External auditors opinion

Dont focus too much on "Just 5" policy documented procedures

The information ie "shalls" in the newest standard "Completley cover" the information in the older version.... PLUS Customer focus - employee involvement - workplace environment etc... Although only 5 documented procedures are "mandated" in the final wording......

I had this same conversation with an external auditor and in his opinion "In all likleyhood NO company will be able to "Adequatley" prove "effective" implementation with "Just 5 Procedures in place" Unless those procedures are legnthly enough to cover expected management tasks in all of the older 20 elements.
:thedeal:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
N The difference between a Quality Policy and Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Who approves the Quality Manual and Quality Policy? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
K Food Safety Manual Policy Statements on some sections of ISO 22000 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
AmandaMusser NSA/CSS Policy Manual No. 3-16 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
E Effective Dates for Policy and Procedures Manual. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
I ISO 9001 Quality Policy Manual vs. ISO 13485 Quality Policy Manual ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Policy Manual Drafting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Free ISO 9001:2000 Quality Policy Manual online Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
A ISO/TS 22163 Item 5.2.4 Safety policy - Example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
I Environmental Policy Content - ISO 14001 Clause 5.2 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
F ISO 13485:2016 Quality Policy Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Informational EU – Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council Public session (Health) – AOB – medical devices Implementation of the regulation o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA – Refuse to Accept Policy for 510(k)s Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
Marc Privacy Policy - EU GDPR Compliance - 1 December 2018 Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
R ISO 20000 requirement about the Change Management Policy IT (Information Technology) Service Management 3
M Medical Device News FDA Guidance - UDI: Policy Regarding Compliance Dates for Class I and Unclassified Devices and Certain Devices Requiring Direct Marking Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
H Water Ingress Policy for a Manufacturing company Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Example ISO 14971 policy and risk criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
M Quality Policy - Standards and reference numbers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
qualprod Including services in quality policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Establishing the quality policy for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
qualprod NC if word "development" stated in Policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
B Quality Policy does not include a commitment to comply with legal requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
J President does not know what the Quality Policy means ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Extent of Policy and Scope with Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Document Retention Policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Is a Quality Policy Statement a Requirement? (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B How to prove that an organization implements anti bribery policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Policy or Good Guidance for a Traceability Decision Tree (Serial and Batch Numbers) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Q Including the Word "Risk" into the Quality Policy (ISO 9001:2015)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Does ISO 9001:2015 call for a Policy or a Statement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Is anyone changing their ISO 14001:2004 EMS Policy? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
M Component Manufacturer of Food Stuffs Mfg. Equipment Parts - Eat Drink Policy ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Marc Homework and Examination Preparation Help Policy Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
M Definition of Other Policies in the Quality Policy Document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
sutie What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Must I update the Quality Policy? (ISO 9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Quality Policy approach of ISO 9001:2015 Clause 5.2.1a ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Adding a "Scope Statement " to my Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Can someone provide an example of a Product Safety Policy? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1