Policy Statement -- Opinions?

J

juliedrys

What do people think of this approach to a policy statement?
(note: company is becoming registered to ISO 9001/14001/OSHAS 18001)

"XYZ Co. is committed to enhancing shareholder value through
- customer satisfaction
- compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- pollution prevention
- safe work environment

We will achieve this through employee involvement and continual improvement."

There is some discussion about promoting the idea of committment to "enhancing shareholder value", but what I like about this is that it is ultimately honest. It may be the most honest policy statement I've read.

Opinions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

Seems to lack 'customer focus' with that bit about shareholder value.

Shouldnt the sharholder value be a result of customer satisfaction, and not vice verca ?

J

juliedrys

I think that's exactly what they are trying to say, that they are going to increase value (for the shareholders) by satisfying their customers, etc.

J

juliedrys

Jim,

Here's the response to that:

- committment to comply with requirements is implied by "customer satisfaction" (customers are only satisified if we meet their requirements, though of course customer satisfaction is more than just that)

- continual improvement includes continual improvement of effectiveness, doesn't need to be said (not sure i agree, but they understand it this way, so fine).

As for it being honest, I agree that the words themselves don't prove anything; however, the thought is that this policy reminds us that the ultimate objective of the organization is not to satisfy customers or whatever but to increase shareholder value.

I have read so many policies that say something like "we are committed to quality" or some such, and people just laugh at it, knowing that ultimately the company is committed to making $$. What this does is tie that ultimately truth to what the system is promoting (cust sat, safety, environmental etc).

M

M Greenaway

Julie

Dont you think that recent history suggests that those companies that put sharholder value above all else are often found to be extremely dis-honest, i.e. Enron, etc

J

juliedrys

Companies like Enron only pretended to put shareholder value above all else. A few greedy people put their own personal profits above all else, in fact, and the common shareholders were the real losers ultimately.

T

tarheel

Objectives

What measurable objectives can you come up with that directly reflect what you say in your policy. I think it would be tough. We have our objectives tied to every statement in our policy and can show how we are performing. We just had our ISO-2000 audit and this was a strong point.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Is a Quality Policy Statement a Requirement? (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
G Does ISO 9001:2015 call for a Policy or a Statement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
E Adding a "Scope Statement " to my Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Policy Statement for FDA CFR 820 Acceptance Activities of Incoming Products. Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Tom W Quality Policy Statement Content Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Environment Policy Statement Contents ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 15
S Sample of Confidentiality Statement/Policy of Inspection Body Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
A How to write a Quality Policy Statement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
G "Prevent Pollution" element of Policy Statement Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
Marc Privacy - Elsmar Cove Privacy Policy and Statement Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
G Policy Statement HSE and OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
J Delivery statement in quality policy - Does it warrant an NC? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Using a Parent Corporation's Environmental Policy Statement Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 15
J Please review this Policy Statement and provide feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q How many sentences does your Quality Policy statement contain? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 119
D Is a Mission Statement the same thing as a Quality Policy? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
T Quality Policy Statement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Quality Policy - Combine it with our statement of 'Purpose, Values and Mission'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Is the Quality Policy Statement a controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E Please Review our Quality Policy Statement for content and compliance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Procedure on Privacy Policy in the ISO 13485 quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
A ISO/TS 22163 Item 5.2.4 Safety policy - Example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
I Environmental Policy Content - ISO 14001 Clause 5.2 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
F ISO 13485:2016 Quality Policy Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Informational EU – Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council Public session (Health) – AOB – medical devices Implementation of the regulation o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA – Refuse to Accept Policy for 510(k)s Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
Marc Privacy Policy - EU GDPR Compliance - 1 December 2018 Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
R ISO 20000 requirement about the Change Management Policy IT (Information Technology) Service Management 3
M Medical Device News FDA Guidance - UDI: Policy Regarding Compliance Dates for Class I and Unclassified Devices and Certain Devices Requiring Direct Marking Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
H Water Ingress Policy for a Manufacturing company Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Example ISO 14971 policy and risk criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
M Quality Policy - Standards and reference numbers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
qualprod Including services in quality policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Establishing the quality policy for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
qualprod NC if word "development" stated in Policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
B Quality Policy does not include a commitment to comply with legal requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
J President does not know what the Quality Policy means ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Extent of Policy and Scope with Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Document Retention Policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B How to prove that an organization implements anti bribery policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M New Quality Policy for ISO 9001:2015 - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Policy or Good Guidance for a Traceability Decision Tree (Serial and Batch Numbers) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4