Poll: Should auditors promote the process approach?

Should auditors promote the process approach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISO 9001 Guy

The broader question is this: should registrar auditors be champions of ISO 9001 and promote the process approach? However, this is not the poll question.

Please, before answering the poll question below, take a minute to read the very brief guidance from the ISO/IAF ISO 9001 Auditing Practices Group Guidance on: Understanding the process approach. A copy is attached (it's just over one page). This guidance references a TC176 guidance document, also attached: ISO/TC 176 2/N 544R3, ISO 9000 Introduction and Support Package: Guidance on the Concept and Use of the Process Approach for management systems. (Twelve pages.)

The APG guidance, dated 5 June 2009, is broken into two parts: "Helping an auditor to interpret the process approach," and "Helping an auditee to interpret the process approach."

It appears from the APG guidance that if the process approach has not been used--and it's generally easy to tell by glancing at the documentation--this should be identified by auditors during the 1st stage audit. It seems to say that auditors should urge auditees to the referenced N544 document in an effort to provide education regarding the process approach. It seems to further suggest that auditors should--during the 1st stage audit--PROPOSE that auditees redefine processes if the process approach has not been employed.

So, here is the poll question--yes or no:

If an organization has not adopted the process approach, is it appropriate and proper for a third-party (registrar) auditor to formally identify "adopting the process approach" as an opportunity for improvement?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I

ISO 9001 Guy

This is my first new thread and my first poll. Thanks in advance for your participation. The broader question is this: should registrar auditors be champions of ISO 9001 and promote the process approach?

Please, before answering the poll question, take a minute to read the very brief guidance from the ISO/IAF ISO 9001 Auditing Practices Group Guidance on: Understanding the process approach. http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livel...ssApproach.doc?func=doc.Fetch&nodeid=3554122A copy is attached (it's just over one page).

This guidance references a TC176 guidance document: ISO/TC 176 2/N 544R3, ISO 9000 Introduction and Support Package: Guidance on the Concept and Use of the Process Approach for management systems. (Twelve pages.) http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...if6I8J&usg=AFQjCNEA0ZU3HBa8yjG2K6QLpOBi8tSE_w

Sorry about the nasty links. Help?

The APG guidance, dated 5 June 2009, is broken into two parts: "Helping an auditor to interpret the process approach," and "Helping an auditee to interpret the process approach."

It appears from the APG guidance that if the process approach has not been used--and it's generally easy to tell by glancing at the documentation--this should be identified by auditors during the 1st stage audit. It seems to say that auditors should urge auditees to the referenced N544 document in an effort to provide education regarding the process approach. It seems to further suggest that auditors should--during the 1st stage audit--PROPOSE that auditees redefine processes if the process approach has not been employed.

Now, for the poll question:

Is it appropriate and proper for third-party auditors to identify "adopting the process approach" as an opportunity for improvement to organizations that have not adopted the process approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Julius

Re: Should auditors promote the process approach?

Yes, Lead Auditors should promote and explain the Process Approach during Stage 1, if the client has not done that. It is logical and once the client understands that, he should support that also.
A follow-on question should be asked: "What does the Lead Auditor do if the client does not accept the process approach?" Does he/she write a "Major" or a "Minor" Nonconformity?
Julius

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Yes, Lead Auditors should promote and explain the Process Approach during Stage 1, if the client has not done that. It is logical and once the client understands that, he should support that also.
A follow-on question should be asked: "What does the Lead Auditor do if the client does not accept the process approach?" Does he/she write a "Major" or a "Minor" Nonconformity?
Julius
While the "Process Approach" makes a lot of sense, it is a recommendation and not a requirement. If an organization decides to audit based on the clause-by-clause approach, that is their choice. If the process approach is not well understood or not well implemented, it may be a better choice for such an organization.

Stijloor.

I

ISO 9001 Guy

The guidance is to urge auditors to promote the process approach to organizations not using the process approach, isn't it, rather than for auditors to use the process approach to audit?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

The guidance is to urge auditors to promote the process approach to organizations not using the process approach, isn't it, rather than for auditors to use the process approach to audit?
A good question for our highly respected Cove Members who represent Registrars/Certification Bodies.;)

Stijloor.

I

ISO 9001 Guy

A good question for our highly respected Cove Members who represent Registrars/Certification Bodies.;)

Stijloor.
I agree. (Just FYI, I represent a registrar, though my opinions may not always reflect those of my employer.)

Why wouldn't a registrar wishing to add value to their client organizations' QMSs recommend an approach that is more sensible and easier for organizations to deal with, an approach formally endorsed by ISO and TC 176?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

I agree. (Just FYI, I represent a registrar, though my opinions may not always reflect those of my employer.)

Why wouldn't a registrar wishing to add value to their client organizations' QMSs recommend an approach that is more sensible and easier for organizations to deal with, an approach formally endorsed by ISO and TC 176?
Have you read the threads/posts regarding "Registrars/Auditors adding value?"
Great stuff! Emotional responses too! Do a search and look them.

OK, an advanced search on "Adding Value" revealed these threads.

Have fun my friend. :agree1:

Stijloor.

I

ISO 9001 Guy

Thanks, Stijloor, I checked them out. Interesting indeed.
So, do you have a vote?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Thanks, Stijloor, I checked them out. Interesting indeed.
So, do you have a vote?
I do not think it's the auditor's responsibility to promote the process approach. They should stick to what they are hired to do and that is audit in accordance to what they contractually agreed to do and if they personally use the process approach to do it, I am all for it. But here is my concern: when the auditor starts "promoting" (verbal or in writing) some beneficial approach or method, many companies will likely oblige because it's "what the auditor wants", not because it's in their best interest. There are many discussions here in The Cove about what auditors "suggested" and were sadly interpreted as a requirement. See what I mean?

Stijloor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ed Panek Notified Body Performance Trending Poll EU Medical Device Regulations 8
leftoverture REACH - Poll REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
S Poll result difference : how do you read it? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Management Responsibility - Is Top Management Committed poll Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 59
smryan Vacation Package Poll Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
D Interesting graphic of BCS (college football coaches' ballots) Poll Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
T Internal Audit Yield %'s (Poll included) Internal Auditing 16
R Poll for six sigma project leaders: What are the difficulties and failure factors? Six Sigma 1
Claes Gefvenberg Let's do age! How 'Old' will you be in 2007? A poll - Version 3 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 91
Wes Bucey Super Bowl poll - Closes 3 February 2007 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 54
R The "I only want the paper" poll Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 45
Icy Mountain Statistical Puzzle with Poll Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
Tim Folkerts NCAA football polls, BCS, etc - Specifically the USA Today Coaches Poll Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
Miner Poll: How do you comply with the ISO 9001 requirement for Mapping Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Research paper poll - Has ISO9001 helped your company improve / be more competitive? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Customer Poll (Satisfaction Measurement) - Meeting Requirements but Negative Replies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Poll : Inspection for Conformity - Proportion of man hours spent? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Hershal MU course in Spanish - poll Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Marc Registered User Article Poll - February 2005 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 5
Marc Registered User Article Poll - January 2005 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 0
Marc Registered User Article Poll - December 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 2
Marc Registered User Article Poll - November 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 2
Marc Registered User Article Poll - October 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 7
I ISO registered companies, and our poll: ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc Registered User Article Poll - September 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 1
C Seeking APQP project plan done in Microsoft Project / Poll on Web Data Collection APQP and PPAP 14
Marc Registered User Article Poll - August 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 1
Marc Registered User Articles Poll - July 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 8
Marc Registered User Articles Poll - June 2004 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 5
Marc May 2004 Articles Poll (Vote) Thread Registered Visitor Articles Archive 12
Marc Poll Types: Blind vs. Open - Article Vote/Poll Thread Registered Visitor Articles Archive 7
Marc Is Your Company Registered to ISO9001:2000? Poll Starting 15 May 2004 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
Marc Quality Digest 2004 Salary Survey - Yearly Elsmar Cove Poll - Where do YOU stand? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
Q Poll: Does TS 16969 have more CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) than QS-9000? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
RoxaneB ISO 9001:2000 Transition Poll Discrepancy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
RoxaneB Coffee Break Forum Poll - Take II Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
M ISO 9001 Certification - Successful First Registration Audit? (Poll) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 76
T How Much Time Do You Spend Training A New Internal Auditor? (Poll) Internal Auditing 56
T Do You Consider Your Quality Policy Valuable to your Organization? (Poll) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 44
G What Is Your Company's Head Honchos Background - Poll Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 28
Q Passing CQA Exam - Passed on first attempt? Second? A Poll General Auditing Discussions 22
E Hunting and Fishing Thread - With Poll Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 646
Claes Gefvenberg A poll for those of you with more than one management system or std: Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
E Let's do age! How 'Old' are you? A poll - Version 2 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 223
A How the wording of a poll affects the outcome Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Marc The ASQ Salary Poll - 2001 through 2003 Career and Occupation Discussions 42
H When should the first PSUR be issued? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I If i do not want to be an initial importer should i register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0