Poor Containment - Supplier Nonconformance

F

freddie1997

I had a supplier non-conformance that was caught in process the material was deemed to meet another spec and we dispositioned the material to Use as is to the new spec. The supplier provided corrective action for sending in the incorrect material. However we did not do a good job of containment and now everyone is stating that we need to go back to the supplier again as thier sending in the defective material is the root cause. I disagree. I think it is poor containment and that should be addressed. how do I proceed

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Poor containment of Non conformance

Well, isn't the fact that you received something that did not meet the requirements of your purchase order the root cause? You may need to also improve your intermediate controls, but if you would have received what you ordered, you wouldn't have had to disposition nonconforming material, correct?

F

freddie1997

I agree that we should not have gotten it in the first place but it seems that we are not taking account for our own failure by just stating it is the suppliers fault that we cannot contain the material. That is were I am struggling with root cause.

T

True Position

This could be some manager not wanting a root cause assigned to a particular area. Unfortunately it often triggers associated paperwork and headaches that people think are getting in the way of making parts their 'real job'.

Suggest assigning the root cause as the receipt of non-conforming material, make your internal containment failure an 'opportunity for improvement'.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I had a supplier non-conformance that was caught in process the material was deemed to meet another spec and we dispositioned the material to Use as is to the new spec. The supplier provided corrective action for sending in the incorrect material. However we did not do a good job of containment and now everyone is stating that we need to go back to the supplier again as thier sending in the defective material is the root cause. I disagree. I think it is poor containment and that should be addressed. how do I proceed
I think you're correct. A nonconforming condition can result in a cascade of different nonconformities, so it shouldn't be assumed that a single root cause is at work. In general, the responsibility for corrective action should fall to the entity responsible for control of the process in question.

If the supplier's CA regarding the misidentified material was considered acceptable, that part of the problem should be considered closed. What happens after that, in your company, isn't under the control of your supplier, so asking him to correct it doesn't make any sense. You now have evidence that (a) the supplier's part of the snafu has been addressed and (b) there are things under your company's control that need to be fixed.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I agree that we should not have gotten it in the first place but it seems that we are not taking account for our own failure by just stating it is the suppliers fault that we cannot contain the material. That is were I am struggling with root cause.
Exactly, and that is why any corrective action should look first to eliminate the root cause, and next to make sure that your system is as good as it can be. :agree1:

F

freddie1997

Thanks,
I feel as though there are multiple root causes and we are only focused on the ones externally. I cannot get anyone in my facility to acknowledge that there is anything but one root cause.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks,
I feel as though there are multiple root causes and we are only focused on the ones externally. I cannot get anyone in my facility to acknowledge that there is anything but one root cause.
Or, there are many contributing causes. Sometimes that makes it easier to work with people to get your final corrective action items created.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Q Addressing poor commitment in people Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
Q Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C What is your Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
V For screening a design, can we live with the low/poor predicted R-Sq.? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Reducing Cost of Poor Quality - Your opinion requested Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
M Contractors with poor Quality Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Customer Satisfaction Survey - Poor Response ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Sean Kelley Difference between COQ (Cost of Quality) vs COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
X Poor GR&R results due to Low Part Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
M Which metric is better for Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
N Improving Poor Communication with Customers Customer Complaints 6
Y Poor Gage R&R Results - High R&R result and poor ndc value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
P Smart or Sexy (CAR) - Poor Root Cause Analysis and Poor Effectiveness Check Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Y FDA News bulletin: It's the FDA's fault! FDA at Fault for Poor Quality Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
R Development Rejection Costs in COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality) Calculations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
AnaMariaVR2 Poor Writing Skills Overshadow Good Content, Credibility & Revenues Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 19
1 Cost of Poor Quality form or template wanted Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality) Vs PONC (Price of Non Conformance) - Explanation wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
P Measuring Costs of Poor Quality Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A Chaotic Industry, Poor Service From Almost Everyone Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
M Cost of Poor Quality Reports IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
E Poor Manufacturing Planning fixes Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
K Generic worksheet for calculating Supplier Chargeback and Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
N Personnel COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
P Evidence of Supplier Corrective Action - Poor Responses by Suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Marc Poor Hungry Kitty Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
S COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality) - Can we add Premium Freight? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
S COPQ - Cost of Poor Quality - COPQ course for non-financial people Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
N Identification of COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality) aspects Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
bobdoering Consumer Reports: Poor Man's Opera Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
S Examples of major problems caused by Poor document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
T Poor Capability - Electric torque screwdriver Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
H Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) - All returned/defective parts (plastic) are recycled Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Manix Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) and Reputation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 25
Z Consequences for Poor Performance based on a Monthly Scorecard - Actions? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
I High COPQ (Cost Of Poor Quality) from Our Quality Department IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
N Poor control of testing chemicals ? which ISO 13485/9001 clause does it contravene? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S New Auditor wants Mould tool repair bill included in Cost of Poor Quality! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
M Poor Gage R&R results (30%RR to 80%RR) - What Next? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Z Creating and Maintaining a Top Ten Poor Quality Supplier Performer List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
S Operator Capability - Gage R&R Poor Repeatability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M One weakness of audit non-conformance reports is the poor writing Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
sathis Is there any standard for "Cost of Poor Quality" (COPQ) by ISO Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) - Iceberg picture Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Dave.C Scary stories - the REAL consequences of poor quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
B Machine failure defects due to no/poor maintenance for FMEA - Looking for examples FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Need input - Potential poor external auditor? My first ISO 14001 registration audit ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
P Acronym COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality) and COQ (Cost of Quality) - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 26
L TS 16949 Clause 5.6.1.1 - Cost of "POOR" Quality vs. Cost of Quality IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4