Popup ads - new trick! Called by Flash and java - Firefox developers seek 'solution'

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Today, I noticed a vicious new technique in forcing popup ads:
The sponsor has a banner somewhere on the page, but you don't have to click on the banner to trigger the popup ad - you merely "rollover" the banner with your mouse and the popup flips up to cover nearly your entire screen.

If you are like me, you use your mouse and mouse wheel to scroll through a page. Just the least touch of your mouse arrow on the banner will trigger these popups:mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone have any ideas or workarounds to avoid this intrusion?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Wes Bucey said:
The sponsor has a banner somewhere on the page, but you don't have to click on the banner to trigger the popup ad - you merely "rollover" the banner with your mouse and the popup flips up to cover nearly your entire screen.
Not exactly new, but definitely infuriating... It's an absolute menace when they do that. My advice is to shun sites displaying that behaviour.
Wes Bucey said:
I do: Use Firefox instead of MS Internet explorer.... See Browsers: Anyone using Firefox?

/Claes

J

jaimezepeda

Often, these type of popups use the Flash plug-in to display. In IE the Flash plug-in is installed by default, I believe. In other browsers, the Flash plug-in has to be installed by the user.

Maybe disabling the Flash plug-in will help.

Jaime

G

Graeme

Wes Bucey said:
Today, I noticed a vicious new technique in forcing popup ads:

If you are like me, you use your mouse and mouse wheel to scroll through a page. Just the least touch of your mouse arrow on the banner will trigger these popups:mad: :mad: :mad:

I use ZoneAlarm Pro ... since I installed it a couple of years ago (an earlier version, of course) the only time I see most banner ads or pop-up's is when I am using someone else's computer. (You can turn things on selectively; for instance, I had to tell it that in The Cove it is OK to display banner ads so I can see the image at the top of the pages.)

Graeme

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
For the moment, my workaround is to use the spacebar to scroll down a screen at a time or arrow keys to move a line at a time and only bring my mouse into play if I actually want to click on some link. It may have an unintended benefit of alleviating my carpal tunnel syndrome, resulting in less time wearing the splints.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Creating Popup Comments on an Excel Graph Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
W Popup and Spam Blocker Software After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Marc Does this browser make me look fat? Opting out of tracking ads After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
M Online Ads - Do you even see them? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
B Google AdSense "Interest Based" Ads Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
howste What the ???? Funny Ads Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
Jim Wynne Gallery of Graphic Design: An Archive of Magazine Ads Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc Hackers Use Banner Ads on Major Sites to Hijack Your PC After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
ScottK Bad Want Ads in the Paper - Add your examples Career and Occupation Discussions 3
BradM Getting Yahoo e-mail with no ads After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Sidney Vianna Informational Neat trick to speed up focused replies in the Forum Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 4
V For System Design & Implementation, What are the trick(s) of simplification! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
BradM Definitely too old to Trick or Treat Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
S What was your best and funniest silly trick during your childhood? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
W What do you think the greatest Quality tool in your arsenal or trick bag is? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 12