Port city Visakhapatnam (Vizag) devastated in the cyclone Hudhud (INDIA)

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Visakhapatnam city on the east coat of India took the brunt of the cyclone Hudhud on Sunday 12th Oct. The city is devastated and power, telecom, fuel, essential commodities, flights, trains and road transport badly effected. Countless trees have been uprooted and the greenary of Vizag will take a long time to surface again.
The airport has been ripped off the roof and is in total shambles.
Prime Minister Modi visited Vizag today to personally review the situation and relief measures.
I was to travel to this lovely city this week and my plans are cancelled.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulJSmith

While I am saddened to read this, I am also disappointed that this is the first I've heard of it. Of the numerous various news sources I use, not one has reported this.

Hope none of your family / friends / colleagues in that area were severely affected.

qpled

Involved In Discussions
There was an article in the Boston Globe today and a photo of the damage to the ships. So sad about the loss of life (24 people).

L

lfrost

I too, haven't heard anything of this. With many "news" correspondents around, I fear that the editors felt that this was a non-news worthy story. Thanks, for letting us know. I hope that no one that is close to you were hurt in the storm.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
All my contacts and associates have been effected one way or other, though no loss of life or serious injury. They had taken precautions. Forth day today, and no power restored. Water supply hence effected. All the power cables, transformers, telecom lines, poles fallen to ground. All Building pipe lines(water and sanitary) layed outside to walls have been smashed. Low laying areas have been flooded. Almost all houses have their window glass shattered. There is no through way for motor vehicle as all roads have trees fallen over.
I have been speaking to few of my contacts, as the cellular connections are slowing coming live.

PICTURES HERE

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Status Oct 20, Monday:
No power supply restored to Industries yet.
First preference has been to Houses and Shops, Establishments. They too have been only partially restored, and only for few hours. Airport few flights operational. Trains partial restored and many trains rerouted. Roads are opened up and all the fallen trees drying up. Day temperatures have gone suddenly higher than normal.
City once green is looking devastated and there will be no Diwali celebrations in Viskhapatnam city which is in this week. I can gauge the extent of hardship there when I talk with my associates.
Rough estimated losses in this cyclone = 11.5 Billion USD

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P ISO 80369 and endoscope port/lumen Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
T Question: Do we consider 60601-1-2 (4th ed) EMC testing a mode for a diagnostic port? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Automated calibration of Digital Multimeter without communication port Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
M Diesel Generator Stack - Sample port guidelines required Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
F Heat and Moisture Oxygen Port Changes Classification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Separation of Network Port from other Circuits including Patient Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
T Access to a particular Medical Device Electronic Communication Test Port IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M What is a Quality Assurance Plan? Help with Content for a Sea Port QA Plan Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
Ajit Basrur CDSCO Guidelines for Port Officers on Imp and Export of Drugs & Cosmetics Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A USB Port Isolation as per IEC60601-1 - Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Ethernet port connections to meet 60601-1 and 60601-1-2 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
R USB Port (Signal I/O) Isolation as per IEC60601-1 - Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 40
Jen Kirley Have you tried recording vinyl to MP3s and or CDs? Turntable with USB port? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
R Portocal II S/W needs some kind of "terminator" to parallel port General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Designing an integrated ISO 9000 - ISO 14000 System in a Big Marine Port Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
F Information on China's Medical City Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
Marc Ten City Maps from History Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Q Dixon city comptroller ?misappropriated? more than $53 million World News 2
M City of L. A. Fabricators Exam - Study Information Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S City & Guilds Quality Assurance exam preparation (June) - Guidance needed Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
somashekar Dabbawala of Mumbai city, India Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
A ISO 9001 in local public administration - A city hall ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
A City Codes for 3166 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
Marc Welcome to Circuit City, where stupidity is state of the art World News 24
Q Where I can pursue Quality related training near New York City? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Domoreto "Divergent" Certifications - Quality Assurance from City and Guilds of London vs. CQE Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Sidney Vianna Para nuestros amigos de Mexico - RABQSA in Mexico City ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
B Advice please! Which European city would you recommend for a visit? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 37
G Keeping Horses in the City Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
B The Salt Lake City Olympics Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1