Portable CMM, new purchase: PROs and Cons

P

Phil Fields

Hello, this is my 1st post, and hopefully I have put it in the correct area. My company makes steam sterilizers for the healthcare industry. We are looking at possibly purchaing a portable CMM for both incoming & in-process inspection. Currently we have had a demonstration/quote for a Romer Infinite Arm. I know that Faro makes a portable CMM, are there any other manufacturers of this type of product? Also does anyone have any pro/con stories of using this type of equipemnt.

Thank you,
Phil

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Phil Fields said:
Hello, this is my 1st post, and hopefully I have put it in the correct area. My company makes steam sterilizers for the healthcare industry. We are looking at possibly purchaing a portable CMM for both incoming & in-process inspection. Currently we have had a demonstration/quote for a Romer Infinite Arm. I know that Faro makes a portable CMM, are there any other manufacturers of this type of product? Also does anyone have any pro/con stories of using this type of equipemnt.

Thank you,
Phil
Phil,

We use the Faro CMM and it seems to do very well. We use it mainly for final and In-process inspections so it may not work for your application of incoming, it should work with for in-process. It seems fairly easy to learn and use.

As for, if this is posted in the right forum, that will be the moderators to make that decision.

Coury Ferguson

R

ralphsulser

Phil Fields said:

Thank you,
Phil
Phil,
I once worked at a plant that bought a portable Faro Golden Arm, 6 position swival action with a computer and programs. They sent in a technician to provide 2 day training. We could move it to different locations in the plant.
We liked very much. That is the only experience I have had with a portable unit. Also had experience with Faro stationary units and the tecnicians who used it love it too. Was huge and programed to measure full floor pans. Looked like a robot going around around the buck.

F

Fletch Pedersen

Try the "Preseon" Portable CMM. Higher Accuracy than any Faro arm and is as sold (PORTABLE!). We stopped using our 3 Faro systems after we purchased our first Preseon System

Phil Fields said:

Thank you,
Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Stated Accuracy of Portable CMM Arm and Real World Use Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
K Purchasing a Portable CMM to Measure a 14' Cylinder that's 5' Tall Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
S Bridge vs. Portable CMM - Advantages and Disadvantages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Calibration of a portable FARO gage portable CMM # F04L2 gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Measurement Uncertainty for Calibrating Custom Check Fixtures with a Portable CMM Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
P Portable CMM Accuracy Definition - Stating CMM accuracy as a volumetric accuracy General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
O Difference in 60601-1-2 3rd and 4th ed separation RF portable equipment CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Portable Magnetic Hardness Testers - Aerospace Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
JoCam Portable Appliance Testing of Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Design for ruggedness guidance or books - Redesigning a benchtop IVD to be portable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
B Figure A.20 of IEC60601-1 about definition of "Hand-held" & "Portable" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Portable/Mobile Washer, Laundry Reviews Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
J Substitute a Portable Power Supply for AC Adapter in a Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
K Portable Battery Label Content Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B What is the difference between Mobile and Portable? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
Ron Rompen Affri MetalTest Portable Hardness Tester Review General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Portable Surface Roughness Tester Calibration Question (SPI model 14-514-4) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Any Difference Between Bench Top and Portable Hardness Tester? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
G Seaward brand portable appliance tester (PAT) Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
SteveK Airworthiness for Portable Electrical Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
M Digital video camera system portable for production line and other monitoring? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
5 Do you know a portable hydraulic oil analyzer? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
ScottK Portable Hardness Testing and Testers for Incoming Bar Stock Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Marc Size of Portable Computer Screen for Travel and Why? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19
D Has anyone had experience with a Portable XRF Analyzer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Jim Wynne Portable Applications, Redux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
B Portable hardness testing recommendations - Upper Rockwell B scale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Jim Wynne Portable OpenOffice - Free, open-source office suite that's compatible with MS Office After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
D Is anyone currently using a portable CMMs (e.g. Faro, Romer, etc.)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Portable SPC Data Collectors and Industrial 'Hardened' Computers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
G Process monitoring of portable & stationary oxygen units: Can we use Cpk, Ppk, SPC ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
G Process monitoring - Stationary and portable oxygen units ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Cg, Cgk and GRR of a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techinques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/maximim diameter. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Honeywell CMM's - Why Honeywell will no longer sell their manuals Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
V Recording CMM dimensional results on CFG-1003 APQP and PPAP 3
G Measuring customer parts on a CMM - How many decimals to report to the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 28
J CMM Accuracy Formula General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Manual Vision CMM Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D CMM Room cleanliness requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
P IATF 16949 MSA Studies for CMM machines IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Can a Mill be used as a CMM? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Ron Rompen Best Practices in CMM Correlation Studies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Zeiss CMM Calypso output to Excel or CSV file Help Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
J CMM Probe Certification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1