PO's & EDI, for the life of the part

L

LaurieB

We are a manufacturer for the heavy truck industry. We receive many PO's through EDI transmission. These PO's have a qty, need date and part number. The information on them is very limited. Under record retention, will I be required to keep these for the life of the part + 1 year? I do not see this as a value added step, or something the customer would be willing to pay for. Any insight would be helpful (some products may be for 20+ years)
Laurie

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
First of all, I want to apologise for not adressing this in some manner - seeing as it was posted on 3/22. I generally try to give some type of answer, but this forum has 'slipped by me'.

Any way.... The bottom line here is that the new QS requires POs be kept for the life of the part. The question is whether EDI transmissions from your customer to you are purchase orders. My reading says they are not. I consider EDI transactions to be scheduling documents derived from the original customer PO.

How about you other folks? Other opinions or, especially, direct experience from anyone else?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Automotive History Of Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) World News 1
Stijloor Updated EDI/XML Project Planner available from AIAG Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
W Has anyone implemented EDI in their organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
B EDI back-up - Requirement for companies to have a full time EDI back-up? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B EDI back-up QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M PPE shelf life Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K EU Shelf life claims for individual materials EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Expected life span of Medical devices - X-Ray based diagnostic medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Disposables Shelf Life Expiration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Medical Device Shelf life studies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
shrutisancheti Predicate device accelerated aging - 1 year of shelf life is already over Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek Is Shelf Life Change a significant change? CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
M Informational Draft ANSM’S GUIDELINE Cybersecurity of medical devices integrating software during their life cycle Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 DFMEA - Real Life Drama FMEA and Control Plans 25
Q ISO 14001:2015 accredited but import most product - CB Raised minor NC on Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M End of Life or Device transfer regulations for Legal Manufacturer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
H Frequency of shelf life/sterilization/bench studies conducted on a medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Cytotoxicity at the end of life-time Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Shelf life and accelerated aging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Shelf life of molded and extruded pebax Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Medical Device, Warranty Influences Expected Service Life Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J 510k - Product shelf life validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Medical Device End of Life and Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R ISO 14001:2015 Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
R Product life cycle and compliance obligation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
K Food Shelf Life Stability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R Life Cycle Assessment of a Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I Device Shelf Life Extension to 48 months without involving the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Shelf Life of Combination Sets for Class II Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Y Shelf Life of Non-Sterile Disposable Drug Inhaler 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
shimonv Over-Labeling Sterile Packaging - Shelf Life 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Ethylene Oxide Sterile Implantable Medical Device Shelf Life Extension Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Accelerated Service Life Test for Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Q How to apply 21 CFR Part 11 and/or cGMP in the Life Sciences industry Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
E Manufacturer's responsibility to notify the NB regarding Medical Device End-of-Life CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1